MORE pics what I have taken with my camera
First picture thread here

100 pages of pictures is enough to fill a mighty thread, and there were a few un-listened to calls to start a new one which everyone is dutifully ignoring, so I'm kicking the second thread of acebest pictures off with this:

It's an architect's maquette. The area on the left that looks slightly skewed is in fact a building overhang if you look carefully.

Mods, please lock the other thread if you need to. What are we paying you for anyway? :kiss:
Wow, that's pretty atmospheric Meems.

I really want to start adding to this thread, I wish I could take my camera into work.
Lovely shot that Mimi. Have you been burgling architects this weekend? :)

Why have we got a new pic thread?
That's a great subject Mimi, you're really good at these miniature shots, making them look alive.

The building reminds me of Finnish architecture.
Zardoz wrote:

Because the other one reached 100 pages. :)
Zardoz wrote:
Lovely shot that Mimi. Have you been burgling architects this weekend? :)

I love maquettes. I constructed many of them when I started to study stage design in a serious way. i think some are still on display at the university if what my old tutor told me is correct - they are used as the teaching models. I love making teeny tiny things with my hands, especially (don't ask why) suspended staircases and any scene with a bed in it. I like constructing the character of a bed from the characters of a play. A Streetcar Named Desire is possibly the easiest example to imagine. Anyway, that's me going off topic.

Quote:

Because several people were asking for a new thread now that the older one is 100 pages. I don't know, I don't think for myself :shrug:

:D
But the car thread is way over 300 pages. Next thing you know these lovely photos will be consigned to a ghetto-like subforum :'(
:( I put it therebecause yarn pirates asking for new thread and after several posts and few pictures I did so as I was worried that people were holding back new ones until this had begun. If it was decided against just shut this and tie me to a chair in the corner for a bit. Or merge them or something.
New thread approved. Please continue
Re-enviggened thread! I will try to contribute properly now too, not used my SLR for ages.
Were we going to have a thread for instagram type stuff too?
Here's a mangled iPhone (Camera+) pic I took on the way back from Manchester anyway, just to show willing :)
kalmar wrote:
Were we going to have a thread for instagram type stuff too?

That's a good idea. Keep the pure and the violated apart. Like school.
I can't really remember what pictures I posted in the other thread, but here's a load of more recent ones
Attachment:
IMG_2278 (853x1280).jpg
to be getting on with:
Here are a few older ones. A mix of snaps and 'proper pictures'
OVERLOADED WITH GOOD PICTURES! Slow down Taxo :D
Hehe! I love the waterfall and the space telescope thingy - is that 'Woomera' by any chance?
Mimi wrote:
because yarn pirates asking for new thread

Colour me intrigued.
DavPaz wrote:
OVERLOADED WITH GOOD PICTURES! Slow down Taxo :D

This is how it goes, I probably won't post anything up for months after this, which is bad of me... I only recently put pictures up on facebook (around 350 or so in the space of a couple of weeks, but it does cover around 10 months).

I must try and take more care to keep on top of photos. There are tons on the HDD waiting for attention, a lot of nice pictures mixed in with a ton of absolute crap. We should be more selective.
'Hi, I'm Tony Hart. Remember to submit your best work to our Gallery.'
DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Colour me intrigued.

thread
HTH :)
kalmar wrote:
Hehe! I love the waterfall and the space telescope thingy - is that 'Woomera' by any chance?

Cheers :D

It's the Canberra 'Deep Space Communication Complex in Tidbinbilla.
When they named everywhere in Australia, they really should have just asked the Aborigenes what to call it. Woolaroo and Tidbinbilla are well better names than Sydney or Brisbane.
Craster wrote:
Brisbane.

Brisbane is the old Aboriginal word for "Fuck off back to your own country, white man!"
If anyone ever wanted to know about Australia's climate then this text my mum got from my uncle is all they would need to know:
"Farm's flooded again, at least it's not on fire like last year :) "

If anyone wants to know about the wildlife then we have "your grandma's in hospital" "why what happened??" "she got bitten on the arse by a dunny spider" "what the hell is a Dunny spider" "It's a spider that lives in the toilet, it's her own fault, you are supposed to look at the seat before you sit down"

edit:
warning, this is a picture of a dunny spider
As it was a shit day I went back over this in PS. It may or may not have taken an hour to do.

Old Horses click here for large version by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

Wasn't there a discussion on increasing maximum picture size?
Decca wrote:
Wasn't there a discussion on increasing maximum picture size?

Yeah, the outcome was to keep it the same. Folks can always link through to Flickr for bigger versions.
Sir Taxalot, why didn't you submit that into the Jump - Photo Challenge thread?

Nice selection of Aussie shots there, I like the Hunter Valley (at a guess) vineyard pics and the close up of the Opera House.
Thanks for making the new thread, Meems! I was on the verge of doing so myself. :hug:

Sir Taxalot, some good stuff there, but please - slow down! Everyone only post a couple at a time, please. Really take time to think about what you want to post, how you can tweak it to look it's best (anyone want Lightroom 3 PM me and I can point you to a free copy *cough* 30 day trial ;) ) and try not to post too similar pics of the same subject. Sorry to be bossy and a bit of a dick, but it's too easy for this thread to move too fast for people to keep up. But do post everyone, it's pretty sweet seeing how this photography thing is taking off on the forum. Just, er, make it a couple at a time. Ta.

Like the trees shot a lot, Meems. Reminds me of a Super Furry Animals style cover! Make good album art, that.

Anyway - Taxalot! Here are my comments:

I like the one with the dog. The light's really good highlighting the key parts. Yeah, shame the framing is off, but taking photos of dogs is bloody hard! Like the backdrop, none too fussy and the line of the tree complements the shape of the portrait well.

Of the two vinyard pics the landscape one is definitely superior. It affords a great leading line into the distance and you really get a neat canyon effect. The colour is richer, the sky looks richer and the earth a more, um, earthy, loamy red. The portrait one doesn't work near as well, without the space to breathe its a bit too fussy and meandering.

The balloon lampshades shot is a good one, like your choice of focus, I usually neglect blurring foreground in favour of more distant subjects and I think I ought to do that sort of thing more. Nice colour. Could do with a bit more vibrance on the lampshades.

Beautiful flower shot that. Great depth of focus, great colour.

Girders - try that one as a B&W, high contrast simple shapes always work better without colour to distract. Also makes 'em look moodier and more Lynchian. Good framing though.

Great framing of the Opera House and those clouds look intriguing. Good harbour activity and the exposure's dead on for that sort of thing. It's a shot only hindered by the ISO limitations of the camera, which has made the colours a little less subtle and the grain and noise a bit too pronounced. Maybe a longer exposure on a tripod would have been richer - though you'd lose the ripples on the water. I'd crop just a cm off the top too, leaving some dark sky but not quite as much - but overall excellent shot.

As is Luna Park, my pic of the bunch. Looks like a Gilliam-Burton gothic cityscape wonderland spliced with Melies, but before the former duo went a bit crap, natch. Great choice, love the reflected light.

Good bow wave, nice framing.

The next one I like is the simple shot of the broomstick, flowers, basket and cart. I'm always a sucker for such simple old fare.

Radio telescopes are awesome and there's a lot of sweet detail in that shot. Great colour and your positioning is good. I'd frame it down to a square shot however, keeping to top half of the grass for the dept and the beauty of it but losing the lower quarter as the eye tends to drift down there and get lost.

Kern, very impressive shot of Tony Hart. I like the way you managed to get him to pose to the left of the the gallery to emphasise your message. I'm also impressed by your use of careful exposure and light to cast a more youthful, less corpsified look of Tony Hart. I assume you used a processing package to smooth the decayed skin with lower clarity whilst adding a much needed vibrancy and saturation mask to remove the deathly corpse pallour? Top notch portrait.
NervousPete wrote:
Kern, very impressive shot of Tony Hart. I like the way you managed to get him to pose to the left of the the gallery to emphasise your message. I'm also impressed by your use of careful exposure and light to cast a more youthful, less corpsified look of Tony Hart. I assume you used a processing package to smooth the decayed skin with lower clarity whilst adding a much needed vibrancy and saturation mask to remove the deathly corpse pallour? Top notch portrait.

:D

Also, your photo looks like something from Resident Evil 4.
Breaking my own rule, here are TWO more. (Count 'em!)

Refuge 2

Library Light

(This one makes a nice 16:9 desktop background)
kalmar wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Colour me intrigued.

thread
HTH :)

Er... yeah, I have no idea what that was supposed to be. 'Everybody was' or 'everyone was', perhaps? Should really check to see what you've written before pressing submit.
Library light is excellent. Very well composed.
Last weekend it was the Hamworth 1940s weekend. I couldn't make it but Foggy did, check out his stream. http://www.flickr.com/photos/34602686@N05/

Gentleman With Shotgun by foggy4ever, on Flickr

This man is my hero whoever he is.

SS Officer by foggy4ever, on Flickr
Foggy4ever is clearly top-notch.

I like wondering what they're thinking. I bet the SS man is thinking, "Ooh - those eccles cakes in the window do look lovely..." The man with the beard and glasses is saying, "Don't worry, Mrs Netley. I have the cure for your headaches right here!"

But TECHNICALLY this is 'MORE pics what I have taken with my camera', so you are disqualified.

FROM LIFE. /*sudden sinister booming voice*
NervousPete wrote:
Anyway - Taxalot! Here are my comments:

Of the two vinyard pics the landscape one is definitely superior. It affords a great leading line into the distance and you really get a neat canyon effect. The colour is richer, the sky looks richer and the earth a more, um, earthy, loamy red. The portrait one doesn't work near as well, without the space to breathe its a bit too fussy and meandering.

Girders - try that one as a B&W, high contrast simple shapes always work better without colour to distract. Also makes 'em look moodier and more Lynchian. Good framing though.

Great framing of the Opera House and those clouds look intriguing. Good harbour activity and the exposure's dead on for that sort of thing. It's a shot only hindered by the ISO limitations of the camera, which has made the colours a little less subtle and the grain and noise a bit too pronounced. Maybe a longer exposure on a tripod would have been richer - though you'd lose the ripples on the water. I'd crop just a cm off the top too, leaving some dark sky but not quite as much - but overall excellent shot.

As is Luna Park, my pic of the bunch. Looks like a Gilliam-Burton gothic cityscape wonderland spliced with Melies, but before the former duo went a bit crap, natch. Great choice, love the reflected light.

Radio telescopes are awesome and there's a lot of sweet detail in that shot. Great colour and your positioning is good. I'd frame it down to a square shot however, keeping to top half of the grass for the dept and the beauty of it but losing the lower quarter as the eye tends to drift down there and get lost.

Yeah, sorry about that, I did get a little carried away there but like I said, things like that tend to come in fits and starts for me. Thanks for the comments though. All of these photos are untouched (other than making them smaller for uploading). I'll have a go with a bit of editing and see how it comes out.

The vineyard one was tricky for me - I liked them both but wasn't really sure which one was better.

The night time harbour photos were done handholding, on a boat. I had to whack up the ISO and use a 50mm prime lens near fully open. Lots that night came out blurry and shit, but there is the odd gem in there. The clouds are smoke from the NYE fireworks...

Zardoz wrote:
Sir Taxalot, why didn't you submit that into the Jump - Photo Challenge thread?

Nice selection of Aussie shots there, I like the Hunter Valley (at a guess) vineyard pics and the close up of the Opera House.

I was so tempted as I like that picture (it's a silly bit of fun) but it was from ages ago and wasn't something I'd done for the challenge thread.

Yes, it's the Hunter Valley - it was really nice there, we had a lovely time.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Yes, it's the Hunter Valley - it was really nice there, we had a lovely time.

I've worked in the travel industry too long :)
First go at stitching, the original file was 40 MB, got this down to 18mb.

tapton park panorama by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

edit:
Smaller version for those who don't have monitors the size of a small moon.
tapton park panorama smaller
More creepy crawlies, sorry. But these were taken at dusk so I used the *gulp* flash. Very handy for helping me close down the aperture in such low light, but limited by shadows being cast when macro lens was at full extension (no internal focus, you see). Why are ring flashes so expensive?

This next one is 100% crop and more noisy than I'd like but I just wanted to show the eyes. Quite an odd Crane Fly really as it was orange.

Missed a beautiful bright green Lace Wing this evening too.
Ring flashes aren't that expensive, by all accounts Craster will show you his bleached hoop for a fiver.
Zardoz wrote:
This next one is 100% crop and more noisy than I'd like but I just wanted to show the eyes. Quite an odd Crane Fly really as it was orange.

:hat:

Also

#1, A wall. by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr
portrait of a small dog by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

think this is ok, processing is, not sure about light.
Decca wrote:
portrait of a small dog by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

think this is ok, processing is, not sure about light.

:hat:
Re:skeksis.jpg

Would! Have!
*Whimper*

Don't like compound dog. Make compound dog go away. :'(

Rest.

(In actual fact cynically posed by her, which is good, as she's capable of ripping my head off if she thought I snuck a shot of her. ;) )
Went out to the park this evening with the 28-70mm f/3.8-4.5 lens I borrowed. Only had time to shoot flowers. Here's the results! My opinion on the lens after a short test in the camera thread.

Daisy

Daisy Square

[This photo was ditched for being below-Parr.]

Pink Rose

Not sure if I'm going to keep pink rose on Flickr though, seems a bit too gaudy. Think I'll ditch it or B&W another version. ?:|
Your gremlin there is a bit creepy, wArhead! I think a closer shot of his expression would work really well! Pete, I love those daisys. Especially the second. Such perfect beautiful little things are daisys. I'm sure lots of people with manicured lawns hate them, but I love sitting among a garden of tiny perfect daisys. I do still gather them and wear them in a chain around my hair.
Page 1 of 50 [ 2487 posts ]