Metaaaal!
Metul and metulurs, rejoice!
Quote:
I likes me some Walk, though I'm a bit late to the whole Pantera party - as I had to confess to someone at a gig a few months ago, I was 3 when Cowboys from Hell came out.

Anyone had a listen to Cristo Satanico by Asesino? Came out a little while ago, and I'm liking it more every time I hear it.

That's no excuse not to love a band [especially Pantera]. I was only 5 when it came out. Hell, if I didn't listen to music from before I was born, I would have no idea what I would actually listen to! Granted, a quick check fo foobar suggests that 2wk1day's worth of my music was made after 1985 and only 5 or so days worth was from before, but either: A lot of those artists were 'born' before I was, or they were massively influenced and wouldn't be around without artists from before 1985.

Plus, when it comes to music, you're never to late for anything. Hell, I never ever knew who Pantera were until about 2003, and then he went and got shot :/ Does it mean I can't claim to love them, DOES IT HELL. :)

ps: Carry on the Metal Thread here. I believe Grim... was talking about crap music and someone was claiming Lars Ulrich to be good?!
The Great Southern Trendkill is possibly the most under-rated metal album of the nineties, so there's that.
I was ten when Cowboys From Hell came out, but actually got the issue of Raw when Vulgar Display of Power came out. I was shocked at all the metal dudes with shaved heads. Phil Anselmo and Justin Broadrick, then.
I have no hair. But through male pattern baldness instead.
throughsilver wrote:
The Great Southern Trendkill is possibly the most under-rated metal album of the nineties, so there's that.
I was ten when Cowboys From Hell came out, but actually got the issue of Raw when Vulgar Display of Power came out. I was shocked at all the metal dudes with shaved heads. Phil Anselmo and Justin Broadrick, then.

Why were you shocked? Did you expect everyone to have long hair at the time? Also: who is Justin Broadrick?
Lovely man. Founder of Napalm Death, Godflesh and Jesu.
I got into Napalm Death very late on but they're amazing. Particularly mid-90s Napalm Death when they used lots of Killing Joke styled discord.

Best Pantera album for me was Far Beyond Driven.

My old band (like 15 years ago) used to cover Cowboys and This Love. Cowboys was a prick to play, especially the solo. Darrell was indeed a bit good.
I hate Pantera. Always have done. It's got a lot to do with that Neanderthal smackehead singer. And the guitarist who didn't know when to stop fucking soloing. And the thoroughly nondescript bass player. And the interesting drummer, crippled by possibly the worst drum production ever. The Great Southern Trendkill does have Seth Putnam on, though, which automatically makes it ace.

Napalm Death, well, Scum is good. At least, the B-side. All the rest is ok, but it's not grind.

Somebody mentioned Jane Doe on the other forum? Fucking ripping album.
Pod wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Why were you shocked? Did you expect everyone to have long hair at the time?

Yes i did. I was eleven at the time, so was expecting everyone to look like Axl Rose or Nuno Bettencourt.

Dimrill wrote:
Lovely man. Founder of Napalm Death, Godflesh and Jesu.

And he also released top stuff with Head Of David, Ice, Techno Animal...

Davydd Grimm wrote:
I hate Pantera. Always have done. It's got a lot to do with that Neanderthal smackehead singer.

I know what you mean, but he's one of the precise reasons I love Pantera. I think it's all well and good nodding along with someone with which one agrees (a.k.a. Bill Hicks Syndrome), but I find it fascinating when someone I hate on a personal level makes art I absolutely adore.

Quote:
And the guitarist who didn't know when to stop fucking soloing. And the thoroughly nondescript bass player. And the interesting drummer, crippled by possibly the worst drum production ever.

Boo. Dimebag saved solos, to my ears. 'Floods', '10s', 'Cemetery Gates'... great stuff.

Quote:
Somebody mentioned Jane Doe on the other forum? Fucking ripping album.

Aye, that was me. And aye, it is. You Fail Me, while less epoch-defining, is also insanely good.
throughsilver wrote:
Aye, that was me. And aye, it is. You Fail Me, while less epoch-defining, is also insanely good.

Got No Heroes? That, too, is excellent. The split with Agoraphobic Nosebleed is worth owning also.
Yeah, I mean Converge Can Do No Wrong, pretty much (apart from re-release albums after I spent a lot of pennies on them). No Heroes was a slight drop-off for me, but that 'Grim Heart / Black Rose' section is fantastic.

But yeah, Noisecore is my scene. Them, Botch, Kiss It Goodbye, Deadguy, Dazzling Killmen, Dillinger Escape Plan, Coalesce etc.
Pod wrote:
I believe Grim... was talking about crap music and someone was claiming Lars Ulrich to be good?!

I don't think you'll find he was.
throughsilver? As in Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis? If so, respect, one of my most fave albums ever.

Also throughsilver, did you say you were in Leeds? There's a relatively good chance I might know you since you are a mosher round these here parts. Care to divulge some more info about yer'sen?
I pointed out the Neurosis reference back in the heady days of WoS, to no response. I felt slighted... ;)
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I pointed out the Neurosis reference back in the heady days of WoS, to no response. I felt slighted... ;)

Ahhhh, it's alright mate *gives Davydd a cuddle*
Cuddles from Neurosis fans are always really scratchy, I've found. Their fanbase has a high beard quotient.
Yep, I definitely fit into that category :)
We'd get tangled. Introduce Dimrill into the mix, it'd be something of a Gordian Chin.
Davydd Grimm wrote:

Newly discovered? That album is excellent.
No, I've been an ATD-I fan for a long time, but that performance is stunning.

Incidentally, I really don't like the Mars Volta.
Bluce_Ree wrote:
Best Pantera album for me was Far Beyond Driven.

Agreed. It was the first one I bought and it's still my favourite with Vulgar Display of Power next.

Pantera to me are like Slayer and Fear Factory - some great tracks but if you listen to too much of it, it all becomes much of a muchness.
pupil wrote:
throughsilver? As in Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis? If so, respect, one of my most fave albums ever.

Yeah, tis my favourite album ever, by quite some margin (I am such a dork that I own it three times)*.

Quote:
Also throughsilver, did you say you were in Leeds? There's a relatively good chance I might know you since you are a mosher round these here parts. Care to divulge some more info about yer'sen?

Yep, Leeds indeed. I'm not much of a scene bloke anymore (I used to knock about the punk/hardcore gigs about a decade ago). I think the last gig I went to was Mono & Jesu. If you've been in Leeds for a while you may have seen me about. I used to go to Out Of Step a lot.

Davydd Grimm wrote:

Forgiveness please.

I thought it was just one of those greeting things where I mention a Morbid Angel reference and you mention a Neurosis reference. It was duly noted, fear not.

* I got the Relapse CD in Vegas in 1997, and I also have the Relapse vinyl reissue and Iron City vinyl... issue.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I hate Pantera. Always have done. It's got a lot to do with that Neanderthal smackehead singer. And the guitarist who didn't know when to stop fucking soloing. And the thoroughly nondescript bass player. And the interesting drummer, crippled by possibly the worst drum production ever. The Great Southern Trendkill does have Seth Putnam on, though, which automatically makes it ace.

The first point is completey right. Yet I'm going to see Down soon. I'm a massive hypocrite. I find the second point completely Bizarre with a Capital B. Dimebag didn't solo any more than any other metal guitarist of the time? It's not like he's playing jazz where the entire thing _is_ a solo. Plus, the riffs he chucked out were great, meaty little things. Perfectly stompable. With regards to drum production, I've always thought the opposite way; I've always thought of it as good! What's wrong with it? :S

Also : I found that video of At The Drive In utterly, utterly horrid. Not only does that video appear to be a perfect candidate for an "Anti-Cocaine" campaign but I've always hated, hated, hated jangly guitar tones like that.

ps:
"Post review
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

How cool is that?
The problem with the drums was always the kick; it was all click and no thud. Yick.

Dimebag just tended to wreck the flow, he did write some fucking immense riffs, but then went and destroyed any impact by poncing about with his stupid, whining whammy bar idiocy. I just dislike soloing for the sake of soloing.

I also hate Down. Get some Eyehategod down you, or some Crowbar, man!
I was at that Mono/Jesu gig, throughsilver. I've knocked around with the whole Punk/HC bunch here since about 98, not so much these days though. I still know a lot of the older folk involved, especially the 1in12 people since I used to live in Bradford, but I avoid the scene clique bullshit, leave that to the yunguns. I have 40+ mm black discs stretched into my ear lobes, people recognise me around for those I think.

AND Through Silver in Blood, yes yes! Love it, but I think my absolute fave has to be Enemy of the Sun, that album just fucks my mind, so utterly perfect!

AND AND Pantera is all about Far Beyond Driven. I happily stand behind that album, its a cracker. Tell me you can't hold back the mosh when the first riff to Strength Beyond Strength kicks in and I call you foolish! They were shit live though, I think I saw them about 3 times, each time Phil was utterly wasted and they were a mess.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I also hate Down. Get some Eyehategod down you, or some Crowbar, man!

As IF! The first Down album is fucking brilliant. CoC with Phil singing! What more could you ever want in life?!?
pupil wrote:
I was at that Mono/Jesu gig, throughsilver. I've knocked around with the whole Punk/HC bunch here since about 98, not so much these days though. I still know a lot of the older folk involved, especially the 1in12 people since I used to live in Bradford, but I avoid the scene clique bullshit, leave that to the yunguns. I have 40+ mm black discs stretched into my ear lobes, people recognise me around for those I think.

I'll keep an eye out (shouting 'OI! PUPIL!' might prove amusing). I guess you saw Iron Monkey a few times, then.

Back in 97-98 I wasn't seen without my Neurosis hooded top (the 'scythes' one of the time).

And yeah, NOLA is exquisite.
Oh oh oh, I love the Monkey.
Cool, I'll shout "throughsilver" when I'm at mosher gigs just in case too :) Say on here if you're gonna be at any gigs in the future.

Iron Monkey were brilliant :) RIP Johnny Morrow.

We need some kind of Music discussion/recommendation sub forum thing here. That'd be ace, its stuff like this that gets me into new music. I'd love to start a thread linking to any ace dj mixsets I find on the net that people should hear. About half of all music I listen too is mp3 mixsets, soooooo much good stuff online for free.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
The problem with the drums was always the kick; it was all click and no thud. Yick.

I thuoght you like death metal!? ;)
I do! But well-produced death metal. The last Desecration, for instance, had kickdrums that practically wandered around the room knocking over pets. Unlike, say Decapitated.
pupil wrote:
Cool, I'll shout "throughsilver" when I'm at mosher gigs just in case too :) Say on here if you're gonna be at any gigs in the future.

Will do. You don't know Brendan (massive shaven headed HC dude who used to Thai box) by any chance? He was quite the 1in12er. Big fan of Stalingrad as I recall.

Quote:
Iron Monkey were brilliant :) RIP Johnny Morrow.

Word. Armour of God too. I still have Iron Monkey's Kerrang! Kwiz (OK,they didn't spell it quite like that) on my wall. It's hilarious.
Quote:
All the rest is ok, but it's not grind.

From Enslavement to Obliteration is, mate! Do yourself a favour and grab it! :D
Gorrit. I know it's a big influence on Discordance Axis, but it's still a bit too deathy for me..
The 'Axis were pretty cool, yeah. Strange grind/noisecore grey area (a bit like the last Brutal Truth album actually). Got 'em all on vinyl: Ulterior is so cute compared to what they unleashed later.
Pantera: Alright, I suppose. Walk is great.
Pantera: Alright, I suppose. Becoming is great.
throughsilver wrote:
The 'Axis were pretty cool, yeah. Strange grind/noisecore grey area (a bit like the last Brutal Truth album actually). Got 'em all on vinyl: Ulterior is so cute compared to what they unleashed later.

I'm a slavering Jon Chang fanboy; DxAx are probably my favouritest band evar. I have the Necropolitan 7" and everything, I think all I'm missing is the Merzbow remix MD and an original VHS of 7.62mm. I would kill for the TID Perfect Edition.

Gridlink hits in June. Oh yes.
Oh wow, a Merzbow remix minidisc? I don't think there is any artefact more inherently late nineties than that. Great stuff!

I was always more of a slowness fan (Neurosis, Swans, Mindrot, Paradise Lost, Cathedral), but in the last couple of years I have been all about the speed. I think it's because I have an inherent repellence to what's going on trendwise. Give me bands like Pig Destroyer, Trap Them and Dillinger Escape Plan any day. Yep, even with Puciato on vocals.
Just took delivery of the new Leviathan disc. Interested parties may slsk me in a few minutes when it's finished ripping. :D
throughsilver wrote:
Oh wow, a Merzbow remix minidisc? I don't think there is any artefact more inherently late nineties than that. Great stuff!

The whole thing was issued on the Our Last Day release, it's pretty good. Necropolitan has a track with Merzbow accompanying, it sounds like a more focussed Gore Beyond Necropsy.

I like speed, man.
throughsilver: Brendan? Sounds familiar, probably someone I'd recognise in person if I saw him. I'm good friends with Richard the ex-singer of Stalingrad and his wife. Lovely people they are. Also, mahoosive Swans fan here too (how can a Neurosis fan not be?!), they're probably my all time favourite band ever. I saw their last ever gig in London in 1997. Incredible!

Davydd: You into Narcosis? They are a lot like DiscAxis. Don't go out drinking with them though, they be crazy men!

Dimrill: What's yer slsk name. I'm "Pupilar". I got a 128k version of the new Leviathan last week, tis ace, still working out if I like it as much as Howl Mockery at the Cross yet, but I'm loving the real drums this time, they sound fucking brill.

Klatrymadon: Best Napalm Death I reckon is the Peel Sessions CD, the early stuff pre-Barney is amazing!
Fuck yeah, the Peel sesh is full-on. :D
Quote:
Dimrill: What's yer slsk name.

sorgh
Dimrill wrote:
Just took delivery of the new Leviathan disc. Interested parties may slsk me in a few minutes when it's finished ripping. :D

What's your slslsksksksk name?

I SHOULD READ THREADS FIRST, SHOULDN'T I?!
Dimrill wrote:
See above.

Yes, I know! Hence my EXCLAIMATION! I'm not very good at looking before I peep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnCcWOS7y8

This video is rich with brilliance! Dirty guys? Leather Jackets? Ripped Jeans? Motley Crue wannabes? LAZERS FROM THE EYES?! HALF TRACK?!

Bloody hell, it's all my christmaseseseses at once.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
kickdrums that practically wandered around the room knocking over pets.

:splutter:
BikNorton wrote:
Davydd Grimm wrote:
kickdrums that practically wandered around the room knocking over pets.

:splutter:

Indeed... I still don't know if he meant those drums were good or bad...
Page 1 of 47 [ 2343 posts ]