The Boat Race

Who will win?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 30, 2009 13:06
Oxford  58%  [ 7 ]
Anglia Polytechnic  41%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12
The Boat Race is today at 1540.
Oxford it has dutchman!
Better poll. How many Brits will be in the boats, total?

4? Less?

Malc
Was tempted to place a bet on the Dark Blues but as they are so damn likely to win the odds hardly seemed to make financial sense. And I could never, ever, bet on the Tabs.
I had no idea there were people who actually watched this, let alone put money on it.
Each-way bet. Natch.
Ha! Another Oxford win! Ra-ra-ra etc..
It's much easier voting on these things after the fact.
DavPaz wrote:
Better poll. How many Brits will be in the boats, total?

4? Less?

Malc

Myp is indisposed at the moment, but I'll do it for him.

FEWER!!
sinister agent wrote:
I had no idea there were people who actually watched this, let alone put money on it.

We went to a park by the river with some friends that lived nearby to watch the boat race one year. We watched the boats whizz past before going back to our boozy picnic and playing frisbee. There was a big screen set up to show the whole race but to be honest I didn't really care and ignored it - I only went to be sociable. I couldn't even tell you who won that year but I had a lovely day.
Oh, it's fair enough. I mean, a day out's a day out. It just surprised me is all.
Which team had Gail Trimble in? I like her.
Kick-off at 17:00 today!

Here's to a great Dark Blue victory - the filthy tabs are currently leading 80-75, so we've a lot of catching up to do.
I wonder if any pubs actually show this live? Would be amusing seeing posters boasting "Watch the boat race here LIVE". ;)
With everyone ordering Pimms, of course.
Ideally, they would have a big screen in a beer garden with jugs of Pimms and strawberries and cream.
Alarm wrote:
Ideally, they would have a big screen in a beer garden with jugs of Pimms and strawberries and cream.

:this:
I had a few friends at Cambridge uni while I was down at Canterbury, and visited them a fair number of times, so I always used to support Cambridge.
However, I then moved to Abingdon, so used to support Oxford.

Now I have no connection to either, so I'll support the dudes in the blue shirts...
Alarm wrote:
I wonder if any pubs actually show this live? Would be amusing seeing posters boasting "Watch the boat race here LIVE". ;)

I did see one once. Well, I was in a pub that was advertising the boat race, but I can't remember if it was because they were going to show it live. Can't imagine what else it might have been for though.

The pub was somewhere in the vicinity of Putney Bridge, and it looks like there's a lot of boat clubs there, so they probably were going to show it live.
They have shown it at Chavpub.
Trooper wrote:
I had a few friends at Cambridge uni while I was down at Canterbury, and visited them a fair number of times, so I always used to support Cambridge.

Now I have no connection to either, so I'll support the dudes in the blue shirts...

I used to live in Abingdon. Have we had this conversation before?
True fact: the only sport team I was ever picked for was my college's second crew novice eight in the autumn term 2000. I was number 2, part of the bow pair. We were never defeated on the river.

The fact that the race was cancelled is not really important right now
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

We have! We even google mapped our houses for each other :D
Fucking BOOM! Have that.

That was awesome.
Glorious victory.

And, brilliantly, when they crosssed the line the whole pub burst into a polite round of applause.
Bah, you dirty Oxfordians obviously sabotaged the glorious Cambridge vessel.
And here we go again. Relieved that a WW2 bomb can't stop the competition.
It's good that they have both races on the same day now. Looking forward to two excellent Dark Blue victories!
Wow, thread necromancy
Didn't help the Oxford women. The poor number 4 won't be able to live that crab down for a long time.

Ah well, onto the men's.
Pretty tense throughout but the Oxford boys pulled through. Huzzah!
Completely forgot about this until I heard it mentioned on the radio this morning.

Now in a pub in Oxford ready to cheer on the Dark Blues.
Excellent! Whipped 'em. They were nowhere near!

The pub burst into polite applause.

Now 2 hours to kill before heading to the ice rink to see the Stars stomp to victory!
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I sometimes used to stay in the Abbingdon Hotel in Stevenage when I was running courses down there. Strange place, it had themed bedrooms. This has no relevance to this thread.

I accidentally watched both the women's and men's race yesterday. The women's played out exactly like the men's, except Cambridge won. Karma.
Warhead wrote:
Strange place, it had themed bedrooms. This has no relevance to this thread.

Depends on the theming!
Kern wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Strange place, it had themed bedrooms. This has no relevance to this thread.

Depends on the theming!

If I remember correctly, the rooms all had the names of Beatles albums, rather than numbers. Or that could have been another hotel nearby. My memory is a bit fuzzy about it now.
Warhead wrote:
If I remember correctly, the rooms all had the names of Beatles albums, rather than numbers. .

Avoid the original Yesterday and Today room.
Kern wrote:
Warhead wrote:
If I remember correctly, the rooms all had the names of Beatles albums, rather than numbers. .

Avoid the original Yesterday and Today room.

"If you are an American Beatlemaniac, it is possible that you rate albums such as Beatles '65, Beatles VI, and Yesterday and Today among your favorites. Mention this to a British fan, however, and, unless he is a seasoned collector, he might have little or no idea what you're talking about."

Total playing time was only 26:50. What a rip-off.

As far as I'm concerned, this album doesn't exist and I don't remember seeing a room with that name in the hotel.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

We went to a park by the river with some friends that lived nearby to watch the boat race one year. We watched the boats whizz past before going back to our boozy picnic and playing frisbee. There was a big screen set up to show the whole race but to be honest I didn't really care and ignored it - I only went to be sociable. I couldn't even tell you who won that year but I had a lovely day.

I still really, really don't care about the boat race but I do remember what a lovely day we had, and I haven't done anything like that for a while.
Page 1 of 1 [ 42 posts ]