BITS AND BOBS 26
Hapless old tosser B&B shocker
Mrs Grim... and I also had to do a hospital sprint for bleeding, I think it's fairly common, so nothing to worry about.
Amusingly, when it happened to us, we were out, and had to leave my mate alone for the rest of the night with his ex-fiance and her new boyfriend!
I have a yay and a nay, so I'm putting them here as a compromise.

First: YAY! As of monday, I'll be driving in to work. MrsP is finishing for maternity leave today and I get the car. By the time she goes back to work, I'll have saved enough to buy my own car. YAY! No more buses!

Second: NAY! I feel like crap. I'm all shivery and stiff. I have a runny nose and keep sneezing. Really don't need to be having swine flu whilst MrsP's giving birth. SUCK IT UP PAZ!

Also, what the fuck am I doing in work at 7:50am?
This is a first. Apparently, scammers are calling people directly, claiming to be from Microsoft and telling people that their computer is broadcasting a virus. See Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/microsoft.asp

Well, they tried with me. Sadly, I wasn't home and MrsP answered, telling them to ring back later. Since I'm supposed to be ex-directory, I'm a wee bit peeved.
kalmar wrote:

Good luck for the delivery, if one says that..

We have a thread for that.
DavPaz wrote:
Second: NAY! I feel like crap. I'm all shivery and stiff. I have a runny nose and keep sneezing. Really don't need to be having swine flu

:this: was me this morning and I was so close to calling in sick but seeing as I have some important stuff to do today, I thought I'd better make the effort.

Malc
DavPaz wrote:
This is a first. Apparently, scammers are calling people directly, claiming to be from Microsoft and telling people that their computer is broadcasting a virus. See Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/microsoft.asp

Well, they tried with me. Sadly, I wasn't home and MrsP answered, telling them to ring back later. Since I'm supposed to be ex-directory, I'm a wee bit peeved.

I have had these for months, tho they have stopped now. They usually try to get you to install a remote desktop app. I like stringing them along with stuff like 'ok, I need to turn the pc on' - wait 3 minutes - 'ok, now opening the browser' - another 3 minutes. Eventually when I pretend to be on the remote desktop site, I then say 'hang on, there is no version for Windows 3.5 / Linux' - cue confusion from their end, occasional sounds of disbelief, and eventually they hang up on you and don't call again for a bit.
Old Man & Mummy Afterthought are coming up for the weekend. I should probably tidy, like.

Four player Zombies!
Four player Ticket to Ride!

MrsA getting stressed about the in-laws!
Four player Blast off!
Kern wrote:
Four player Blast off!

:(

Missing a piece.

So:

Three player Blast Off!
Mr Dom wrote:
I have had these for months, tho they have stopped now. They usually try to get you to install a remote desktop app. I like stringing them along with stuff like 'ok, I need to turn the pc on' - wait 3 minutes - 'ok, now opening the browser' - another 3 minutes. Eventually when I pretend to be on the remote desktop site, I then say 'hang on, there is no version for Windows 3.5 / Linux' - cue confusion from their end, occasional sounds of disbelief, and eventually they hang up on you and don't call again for a bit.

That's why I said 'sadly I was out'. I reckon I could've had a great time stringing the fuckers along.
I love stringing along those people who call me out the blue. I had someone try and do a survey the other week.

They asked what phone provider I use, I told them I don't have a phone.
They asked if I have any pets... I said I have a Racoon who wee's on the bed.
They asked if I'd be interested in hiring DVDs... I said I wanted the movie with Matt Damon in... what's it called? Oh yeah, Die Hard.
DavPaz wrote:

First: YAY! As of monday, I'll be driving in to work. MrsP is finishing for maternity leave today and I get the car. By the time she goes back to work, I'll have saved enough to buy my own car. YAY! No more buses!

Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha! Why do I doubt this?
Traffic was weird this morning, got to college 40 minutes earlier than normal :S this is quite annoying. I also have no idea if I'm at the right classroom because I was off last week and the week before we were in a room that's not our usual. Hmm.
Gilly wrote:
Traffic was weird this morning, got to college 40 minutes earlier than normal :S this is quite annoying. I also have no idea if I'm at the right classroom because I was off last week and the week before we were in a room that's not our usual. Hmm.

Gilly, it's Saturday.
MaliA wrote:
Gilly wrote:

Gilly, it's Saturday.

Don't scare me like that. Two minutes 'til class starts and no sign of lecturer or any other students in my class. Wonder when I should leave it until I start prowling the corridors.
Gilly wrote:
Weird in Manchester too - left slightly later than normal, got to work 15 minutes earlier than normal.

It's a 5 mile commute.

I'm hoping to get my bike properly set up tomorrow, because it's cycling weather. This is a GOOD THING - save money, and get the lard off; I've (:extremesurpriseface:) only put half a stone on in the last six months but got really fat. Je ne comprends pas!
TheVision wrote:

Fantastic.
The short life expectancy of the GU10s in the Upper South Room has always confused me. The light sockets seem to rocket through them. I've now worked out that where you insert the bulb, the connector is worn so not holding it in properly. Hence, they slip and go out.
It's more likely that they're just shit. The ones in my kitchen had a <3 month lifespan. I now have LEDs, which have a great lifespan - only problem is, they don't light my kitchen.
I had a GU10 go a few weeks back. The kitchen's been in just shy of 2 years.

I tell you what though, between the three of them, they don't half burn through the leccy. Looking at the energy monitor, the house ticks over at about 0.30kw with just the one computer and various other sundries on. With the kitchen lights on, it jumps to 0.6kw.

Yikes.
Craster wrote:
It's more likely that they're just shit. The ones in my kitchen had a <3 month lifespan. I now have LEDs, which have a great lifespan - only problem is, they don't light my kitchen.

And they cost eighty kabillion pounds.
Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Fantastic.

I'll never remember that when it counts.
Does anyone want a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 wireless router with no power lead, that I'm likely to see soon? If not, I'll stick it in the bin.
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:

And they cost eighty kabillion pounds.

Yes. And I need to replace them, really. For eighty kabillion more pounds.

FYI for anyone looking at LED/halogen wattage comparisons - they're a complete fucking lie.
Is there a limit to the amount of 1p, 2p and 5p pieces I can pour into the collecting tray at the self service till in Tescos? I've got something like 4 jars worth.
MaliA wrote:
Is there a limit to the amount of 1p, 2p and 5p pieces I can pour into the collecting tray at the self service till in Tescos? I've got something like 4 jars worth.

I'd take it to a bank and use the coinstar machines.
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The what now?
You pour the jar into the machine, it sorts it very quickly and spits out any euros that were in there, then it's paid in.

They have them in Asda as well but that charges commission.
Hold on to them, then next time you're tasked with amusing an infant at the seaside, give them a bag of them and point them in the direction of those wretched coinpusher machines.
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The what now?

You pour the coins into the machine, it counts them out and then gives you a voucher to take to the cashier to either use towards your shopping or receive in cash.

I seem to remember from my customer service days that there's a maximum amount of coins (especially coppers) that a business is compelled to accept for any transaction (I had to look this up after someone complained the guard refused to accept their penny jar as payment for a train ticket)
The ones in the bank don't charge commission, but you do have to pay directly into an account.

HSBC anyway.
Zio wrote:
What I want to know, more than anything else in the world right now, is is that really James Blunt's mum trying to defend her son in the comments bit at the bottom of this article?

It might well be. According to Bomch-Wiki-wahwah, his parents surname is indeed 'Blount' and not Blunt.
Given his later career choices, maybe it wasn't such a good thing that he prevented World War 3 a decade ago:

BBC wrote:
Singer James Blunt 'prevented World War III'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050
metalangel wrote:
You pour the coins into the machine, it counts them out and then gives you a voucher to take to the cashier to either use towards your shopping or receive in cash.

I seem to remember from my customer service days that there's a maximum amount of coins (especially coppers) that a business is compelled to accept for any transaction (I had to look this up after someone complained the guard refused to accept their penny jar as payment for a train ticket)

I put ~£400 through one once, and it got full :)

The people who had queued behind me for quite a while weren't pleased.
Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Fantastic.

My sister once actually phoned me up from her mobile phone, to tell me her mobile phone had been stolen,
Grim... wrote:
metalangel wrote:

I put ~£400 through one once, and it got full :)

The people who had queued behind me for quite a while weren't pleased.

Genuine LOL!! :D
Curiosity wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Fantastic.

My sister once actually phoned me up from her mobile phone, to tell me her mobile phone had been stolen,

Maybe she meant it used to be a loaf-shaped cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar.
Zardoz wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Fantastic.

Maybe she meant it used to be a loaf-shaped cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar.

Maybe she meant that it had just been turned into a woman's long scarf of cloth or fur worn about the shoulders.
Grim... wrote:
Friends have just had a baby girl, and named it "Liberty".
Um... 'Kay.

My cousin did this too. I still can't quite believe it, but over time it has come to seem quite normal.
See, if she were the child of people who dedicated their lives to Amnesty Intl, or something, it would be quite normal. As the child of presumably run-of-the-mill normal folk, it seems a bit...odd.
If they had triplets they could be called Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity.
And the greatest of these is Hop.
JBR wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Friends have just had a baby girl, and named it "Liberty".
Um... 'Kay.

My cousin did this too. I still can't quite believe it, but over time it has come to seem quite normal.

But they're so... Straight.
I mean, even their fucking dog is called Harry :S
Only just noticed that you can download some of the Command and Conquer games for free. I've not played any of them.. which is best on there?
I liked Tiberian Dawn, as I never got into the Red Alert series. I think most people will say Red Alert, though.

Whatever, they're free - get them all ;)
Kern wrote:
Given his later career choices, maybe it wasn't such a good thing that he prevented World War 3 a decade ago:

BBC wrote:
Singer James Blunt 'prevented World War III'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

I did not know this. He should reinvent himself as an (in)action hero. They could do an Operation Flashpoint tie-in, and novelisations! Think of it!

"Blunt Diplomancy" - James Blunt is sent by blunt John Prescott to have blunt words with the equally blunt Vladimir Putin. In this excitingly terse, gruff, thriller James Blunt faces off against rising international tension, and a sharpening of cold war sabres that need to be.... Blunted.

"Blunt Instrument" - Clumsy James Blunt is sent in as a cavalry officer in charge of a tank regiment, charged with blunting the attack of Putin's armoured brigades rushing across Kosovo. Unable to accurately tap in artillery co-ordinates on his British Secret Service custom-modified DS Lite fire-control apparatus, Blunt must face increasingly blunt criticism from his superiors as 37,000 locals die in shrapnel and flame.

"Blunt Criticism" - Unable to afford any more operations for James Blunt due to military budget cuts Britain instead relies on package holidays for top gruff voiced secret-service pianist James Blunt. Flying around the world to exotic shit-holes, he fearlessly criticises foreign leadership in what can only be described as being in a classicly Blunt fashion. But can James Blunt face the consequences when a reckless middle Eastern government fights back by bluntly criticising his latest album of blunt-fingered plinky-plonky piano work and warbling?

"His Blunt Manor" - As a reward for his government sanctioned exploits, Blunt is presented with a beautiful stately home, which he characteristically accepts with a Blunt 'thanks' to the Queen's scowling face. Absolutely nothing happens in this one beyond Blunt wandering its lonely halls drinking lemonade and reading the papers, as the publishers rush out the novel as soon as they think of a punning title, even though they are completely unable to actually think of a thematic plot to go with it.

"Billy Blunter" - Charlie Higson is drafted in to do a prequel novel for the kids, involving James Blunt (nicknamed 'Billy') going undercover in a boarding school of boys. Disguising himself as a morbidly obese 12 year old toff, Blunter foils a pie smuggling ring run by the evil Headmaster Vladamir Putintrude by using fiendish hacking skills and breath-taking bungee-roping to break into a top-security pantry and eat all the pies. Then he gets stuck in a gate, to the meriment of the other boys, leading to a thrilling cliff-hanger where his form-tutor advances menacingly with a cane. A bonus chapter preview of the next book shows the form-tutor taken down a peg or two as his head jerks back and to the left under the impact of a high-powered sniper's bullet - MEANT FOR BLUNTER!

"Blunt Blunt" - On a covert mission gone wrong Blunt is shot and falls off a yacht, presumed dead. He is later washed up on shore and rescued by a red headed German babe. James Blunt is only able to remember his surname, and nothing else. Not even the rest of the English language. His resulting cries of "Blunt Blunt Blunt!" prove hilarious to his new girlfriend, and to the rest of the world when he becomes an overnight You Tube sensation. However, wily cold-eyed Vladimir Putin becomes outraged that his top spot You Tube series - featuring his 'macho' seduction of ex-Soviet bebushkas - entitled 'Putin Out' is knocked from the top spot, and vows revenge on 'The Blunt'.

("That's enough Blunt novels," - ed.
The word Blunt has lost all meaning to me now.

:)
You are awesome, Mr Nervous Pete
Page 47 of 60 [ 2981 posts ]