Stupid wifi problem
Won't stay connected
I have the standard Sky Broadband router, Netgear DG834GT.

While it seems to like my MacBook Pro and 360 just fine, it doesn't like the iPhone or iBook very much.

Basically, unless the connection is being used constantly or very frequently, it stops letting them access the internet. The device is still connected to the router, but it is unable to send or receive data from the internet. Going into the device's own settings and turning Wifi off and then back on immediately solves the problem, and it immediately regains access to the internet like nothing was wrong.

I'm having to assume all my settings (IP address, DNS, subnet) are fine as it certainly works fine when it wants to, but if I take too long reading a website or writing a post on either of the two devices then I often find the connection's gone to 'sleep'. The Macbook, where I've just written all this, hasn't had this problem.

Any ideas?
I have my PC and laptop running wireless off the same (edit: that exact one) router, it does this to me at random as well on the laptop, sometimes I get a same IP detected message thrown up but mostly I have to just use the fix internet connection tool.
When Mrs Grim...'s iPhone and iPad kept disconnecting, I plugged them into iTunes and updated them, and they were happy again.
Decca wrote:
I have my PC and laptop running wireless off the same (edit: that exact one) router, it does this to me at random as well on the laptop, sometimes I get a same IP detected message thrown up but mostly I have to just use the fix internet connection tool.

I have two routers, trying to have some connect to one and some to the other (though the second router then connects to the first to get at teh intarwebs) didn't help.

Grim... wrote:
When Mrs Grim...'s iPhone and iPad kept disconnecting, I plugged them into iTunes and updated them, and they were happy again.

Everything is up to date :(
I think I had the same problem on my netbook, messed with one of the parameters on the router (same model) - the 80211b/g/both thing fixed it I think, but then I changed the wifi board in the laptop to one that works with Mac OS X and that was happy with it on the normal setting.
Check that everything is getting an individual IP address. Sometimes Mrs Burrrrrrrrrrrrrt's Black berry or netbook will be assigned an IP address that is already in use. Worst case is you'll have to assign manual IP addresses to some devices.
Mr Burrrrt wrote:
Check that everything is getting an individual IP address. Sometimes Mrs Burrrrrrrrrrrrrt's Black berry or netbook will be assigned an IP address that is already in use. Worst case is you'll have to assign manual IP addresses to some devices.

The tarts netbook does this also. In fact, the ip clash is always with my phone. But as it isn't my laptop and my phone is unaffected, I can't be arsed resolving it other than powering off the router.
Depending on the level of control you have on your router, you reserve a DHCP address by mac address. The router will always give the same address out to a specific device, but only that one.
You can do that with the Sky router.
Everything already has a manual IP address... I set them up myself when I moved in.
My router does a similar thing, but it only does it sometimes.

It's a shit telco branded one though. I'm not sure if I can be bothered to do anything other than turn it off and on again, and swear a little bit.
Nailed the issueof my shonky WiFi by getting somenpowerline things that rebroadcast

The one with the pointy bits does the lights and the one it is connected tondoes the internet so now I don't have it to reset a password.
I fixed my shite WiFi by phoning Sky and having them send me a new upgraded router. I continue to be impressed with their service; I phoned and the support guy ran some remote tests (basically just pulling the router logs and looking at them I suspect) then admitted that as I suspected the router was just old and crap and they'd send me out a new one. Ten minutes on the phone and then like 16 hours later I've got a new router arriving at my house. Couldn't really ask for more.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]