Lighting/Ceiling Fan/Electrical help please
This is the thread of 2010.
Craster wrote:

I'm quite proud, it's had a bit of everything. :smug:
Craster wrote:

Is it really necessary to have two belm threads, though?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Joans: :kiss:
:'(

:kiss:
Mr Burrrrt wrote:
All this talk of buggering about with your electrics when you have clearly no idea what you are doing is making me very nervous as you could obviously easily kill yourself or at the very least blow stuff up.

Very least is "everything works", surely?

Although I quite agree with the "OMFG" factor.
Grim... wrote:
Very least is "everything works", surely?

After 3 days, 6 pages, near death by electrocution and the possibility of the house burning down at some point in the future. I suppose you could call that a result.
Mind you, it's "everything sort of works".
Joans wrote:
Everyone happy now? :luv:

No. Villa haven't been linked with any exciting players, so we'll probably sell Milner for 30 million and spend it on Jermaine Jenas and Kevin Doyle.
Curiosity wrote:
Joans wrote:
Everyone happy now? :luv:

No. Villa haven't been linked with any exciting players, so we'll probably sell Milner for 30 million and spend it on Jermaine Jenas and Kevin Doyle.

If that happens I'll electrocute myself again.
Craster wrote:

BEEX
[1] days since last forum electrocution.
Hi guys - I'm trying to connect up my new gas oven. There's an odd hissing sound, and everything smells a bit funny.

Anyone got any ideas?
Squirt wrote:
Hi guys - I'm trying to connect up my new gas oven. There's an odd hissing sound, and everything smells a bit funny.

Anyone got any ideas?

Check the inside of the oven, using a candle for illumination.
Can you see where the pipe connects? Set fire to a bit of wood and hold it around the back of the cooker so you can see what you're doing better.
Given that it now transpires that it has a pull switch for both the light and the fan, [a competent person] should probably re-wire it so that both of them work off the wall switch.
kalmar wrote:
Given that it now transpires that it has a pull switch for both the light and the fan, [a competent person] should probably re-wire it so that both of them work off the wall switch.

Fuck off :kiss:

I wrote that before your edit, so it was more aimed at the thought of me doing more work.
I think we're happy with the way it works at the moment given that I'm still alive and the house isn't on fire.
Jazzy, smack him.
kalmar wrote:
I'd probably be tempted to replace the wall switch with a blank instead.

But then if I'd tried this I'd be a smouldering, twitching lump on the bedroom floor, so eh.
It is just down to preference. I'd quit while you're ahead too :)
kalmar wrote:
It is just down to preference. I'd quit while you're alive too :)
kalmar wrote:
Jazzy, smack him.

\
I'm busy
Heh, Joans has already left the building and will be gone for the next 24hrs... I don't know if he's leaving me to see what happens. ?:|

On a serious note though, thanks for the help guys, I'm not worried about the integrity of the wiring, if I was I'd already have been on the phone to a sparky no messing.

I don't think we need to worry about being able to use the pull cord light switch too much, it's over the end of the bed, so not easy to get to without stretching and we have the original pull cord from the cieling too. I wouldn't want to put a blanking plate on the wall or I wouldn't be able to put the light on as I went into the room!

Cheers again, will report in tomorrow so you know I haven't been burnt to a crisp overnight. :p
I'll be there by six. Start hitting the White Zinfandel.
Grim... wrote:
Start hitting the White Zinfandel.

I think he's already gone.
Grim... wrote:

Watch your head on the fan. Oh, and take candles. Just say it's romantic, rather than an excuse not to risk the light switch.
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Watch your head on the fan. Oh, and take candles. Just say it's romantic, rather than an excuse not to risk the light switch.

And don't forget about the gate. Thanks.
Of course, now that the fan's started working, the weather's changed. Brrr....

(Oh, and this is certainly the thread of the decade)
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And a fire extinguisher. Say that's for later on in the evening.
Happy with the gate, Jones?

It was pretty tight at first but I used some lube and soon I could get in easily.
So, I need help wiring in an oven....
Bobbyaro wrote:
So, I need help wiring in an oven....

Scroll up for advice. ;)

EDIT - Damn.. new page.
The house is having a full electrical test. I'm not sure they're professionals though, they've passed the light fitting. :p
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
The house is having a full electrical test. I'm not sure they're professionals though, they've passed the light fitting. :p

Ha! :metul:
It's the thread that keeps on giving.
We moved, the fan moved with us, so I can safely ;) say that this thread is an invaluable resource for anyone that wants to fit a ceiling fan with only a minimal effect on their health.

I'll put the blades on when we can find them.

:blown:
I don't think you need the blades, it looks fine as it is.
Ten years on and Joans is about to install a ceiling fan.

Stand by!
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Ten years on and Joans is about to install a ceiling fan.

Stand by!

Taken him long enough!
Stay Alert / Keep Joans away from electricity / Protect the NHS
It's already been going horribly wrong. We haven't even got to the electrical bit yet...
Make sure he doesn't install it upside down, don't want the house to start lifting off the ground!
It's up and it mostly works. The fan bit certainly does anyway and that's the main thing.
Page 4 of 4 [ 192 posts ]