S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Call of Pripyat
Random thoughts and screens
I really feel like the slapped girlfriend going back for more.

I really wanted to like S.T.A.L.K.E.R (the first one). Like, really really wanted to like it. I wanted to like it so much that I pretty much played through the entire game. And what I did like about it I did love tbh, but I am bitter about what I didn't. I won't cover all of that again here and now because we already did that, but let's just say it was the combat system and leave it there :)

Everything else I liked, but it was hard to over look the combat system.

Any way. I read reviews of Clear Sky and it seemed it was just more of the same. Fast forward to a few months ago and Pripyat was released as a cobbled/converted Russki to Pinglish (pig English) conversion. I downloaded an evaluation copy and installed it, but it just made no sense and my days of playing foreign games and spending time figuring out what's going on are over, I simply don't have the patience any more.

Then I noticed that the proper English version has now been completed and released, and reviews seemed far more favourable than Clear Sky so I grabbed an eval copy and installed it. The first thing noticed were all of the glaring little annoying stupid easily fucking fixed things like I did with Chernobyl. For example, the narration begins and the guy doing it says "It was the 11th of June". But when you look at the text it says the 10th of June. Then it continues to say And in 2008 blah blah but when you look at the screen it says 2009, and then it says And by 2010, blah blah but the text on the screen says 2011. In the end I spotted so many fuck ups and flaws that I just closed my eyes and listened to the guy without looking at the screen. Suffice to say however that deaf people will be playing a considerably different story.

Any way. What I do remember from the badly cobbled ghetto translated version was that the game was DX11 compliant. Sadly at that time I didn't have a DX11 card so I wasn't able to see for myself how it looked. Nor was I able to make sense of the option screens so I just loaded it up, said erm, looks like the original , uninstalled it and called it a day. The one good part about it though that I remembered was when the red storm thing kicked in (something they were going to put in the original) and having to hide or die. Now that was bloody cool and I wanted to see that again.

I also made a bee line for this game because I heard rumours that it was specifically developed using ATI hardware and as such with Crossfire Radeons you could obtain framerates, resolutions and detail almost double that of what Nvidia offer in the same game. It's not often that game companies side with ATI and not often that you get to see an AMD and ATI only advert thing at the start, so that was nice.

Loading up the game I cranked everything to everything. Max me out, baby. I see framerates averaging around 45, never dipping below 35 and hitting the 60s. Quite amazing for the level of detail and all of the everything I added. I did, however, notice the odd pause here and there whilst the hard drive beat itself to death. This is obviously a very heavy game and my poor, measly 3gb of ram was suffering here.

O.K, enough of the bunnying. Initial impressions... Very very good. As of right now there seems to be less combat and specifically less combat with humans. So far I have only encountered a few heavily mutated animals that are large aggressive and ugly. I haven't really played enough to really put it to the test. However, that's not really why I am here. It's what this game does.. OMG.

In this series of heavily quality reduced pics I encountered one of these nasty horrid red storms. The first time it happened it was raining and the lightning was flashing shadows all into the puddles. It was so amazing I saved my game, loaded fraps and reloaded my save. Sadly the weather conditions were now drier. Check this out though. It's pretty much impossible to show exactly how this looks when it's moving and shaking but it's just phenomenal.

In typical S.T.A.L.K.E.R style at first it looks ugly and jagged. Then as you submerge yourself into it and notice how everything moves and how dynamic it is it's really rather beautiful. In a horrid melting flesh kind of way.

The wind was starting to get up and the sky was changing colour.

As I turned lightning started to flash and bolt (fork sheet and ball)

The sky grew more and more menacing

I was getting serious warnings now to find somewhere to hide or die.

I shall add more as I progress, but even after ten minutes of play I have added this one to my order list.

NB. I PIRATED THIS COPY OF THE GAME. I ALSO STOLE IT AND PLAYED IT FOR AN ENTIRE DAY BEFORE ORDERING IT LAST NIGHT FROM COOLSHOP. IF YOU WOULD LIKE I CAN BUST OUT A DICTIONARY AND THESAURUS AND LIST EVERY KNOWN WORD FOR THEFT AND PIRACY JUST TO SATISFY THE PEDANTIC MEMBERS OF THE FORUM.

THX M8s GR8
I've got it, but am yet to play it. I utterly loved Shadow of Chernobyl, to the point that I was willing to install a few patches and mods to get the most out of it and ignore the remaining (plentiful) flaws. Clear Sky totally failed to click with me though. I've barely ever touched that one and have absolutely no intention of going back any time soon either.

However, I've seen a number of reviews that suggest Prypiat may be the ideal Stalker experience for me. I've just had so little time for games and so many other games to take up what little time I have that I've really only got as far as installing it. It doesn't help that I bought Metro 2033 at the same time, and that has a much more immediate draw to it being as it has rejected Stalker's sandbox approach for an altogether more linear, yet more visceral experience.
But have they made the combat not incredibly shit?
Mr Dave wrote:

I've not really gotten into any major combat yet but I'll let you know how it is :)
JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I've not really gotten into any major combat yet but I'll let you know how it is :)

That's 'cos you're too busy looking at the bloody sky. ;)
Well the storm hit and I managed to find cover by jumping into a cave. It's quite scary actually as the whole world goes dark, then light, then dark again over and over. It's disorientating and does what it's supposed to do.

So it comes as no surprise that I was panic stricken and got completely lost. And just as all of this awesomeness was flooding and flowing the game did a spack.

These stupid fucking zombie monster things came running after me. I found out that the gun I was carrying was worthless and I could hardly fucking see due to the still flashing light. I just barely managed to survive the onslaught before the storm ended and I managed to kill the really annoying zombie things.

I calmed myself down and after some swearing found my way out (this game really is dark and needs to be played at night) and got into a mission where you creep into a stalker camp in the pitch black before mowing them down and nicking all their shit. And hilariously all I did was stand back and let the bandits I was with do all the hard work before looting all the corpses.

That mission was immensely satisfying. If there are more like that I see very happy times ahead with this game. More screenies later as sadly I forgot to load fraps.
I love the idea of stalker. If they could make one that actually works I would consider playing it.

... once I have a pc that can run it, assuming the latest is that one, obv.
They are calling them evaluation copies now?
The more I play this the more it seems like a rock hard Fallout 3 knock off. Which is a very good thing I guess.
sinister agent wrote:
I love the idea of stalker. If they could make one that actually works I would consider playing it.

... once I have a pc that can run it, assuming the latest is that one, obv.

Call of Prypiat is meant to fix a lot of the problems with the first two STALKER games. I'm really going to have to start playing it soon.
Plissken wrote:
Some people are, clearly.

JohnCoffey wrote:
That mission was immensely satisfying. If there are more like that I see very happy times ahead with this game. More screenies later as sadly I forgot to load fraps.
JohnCoffey wrote:
The more I play this the more it seems like a rock hard Fallout 3 knock off. Which is a very good thing I guess.

Sounds like you've already evaluated it then?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Some people are, clearly.

Don't want to get into debate but.... gngh!.... it's not an evalutation copy, it's a pirate copy, and even if you do intend to buy it later you're still contributing to the pirate copy download figures and justifying things like that shitty McShit Ubisoft DRM policy.

Yoda said it best: "Buy, or do not buy. There is no evaluate. Unless they released an official demo."

AND HE WAS THE WISEST JEDI OF THEM ALL.
Call a spade a spade, I say. When I download things illegally I don't dress it up in fancy langauge.
I'm off to evaluate my co-workers crisps ;)
Israel is evaluating Palestine.
I'm evaluating your joke.
Some Somali boat evaluators, yesterday.
Earlier today at JC's house.....

The boys decided to have a meeting.

To discuss important matters at hand.

You're doing it wrong.
I'm evaluating pirating this thread's potential to turn out well.

Signs are poor.
Remember that white noise thread?

Remember who was doing the complaining?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Call a spade a spade, I say. When I download things illegally I don't dress it up in fancy langauge.

Stop being pedantic.

Evaluate is a tongue in cheek term I've used for years. Similar to the five finger discount or the borrow on a long term basis.

So. Now that you know that and we have it out of the way my stalker thread can be returned to normal.

I shall ammend my first post just to satisfy you.
Page 1 of 1 [ 22 posts ]