Being Nice about Rev Stu thread
anti-Internet-drama
So as a tonic to recent events of another forum I think we need a positive thread.

Only positive Stu tales here please - a being excellent zone!

What better to be positive about than the notable journalist Rev Stu? So
  • How did you find out about Stu originally?
  • How did you find out about WoS?
  • Other positive stuff.

Personally I was never very loyal to Amiga Power, I always went with the BEST DEMO DISKS strategy of magazine purchasing. Which also meant which had the most disks too. So I often bought Amiga Format (for my shame).

As such he was notable to me through digitiser. Him and Biffo telling him my Amiga was dead was a damn hard lesson to be taught and it kicked me out of my childhood fanboyism. For that I'm eternally grateful.

I found WoS because my housemate was in love with Your Sinclair and Amiga Power and went on about it often enough that I eventually googled Stu. He'ld be surprised if he found out I had a tiff with his hero.

I guess most of you were alt.newsgroups peeps that I still don't understand.
Mimi, I might have to get your to leave Craig and MARRY ME. :kiss:
I had never heard of him until he had a raging row with someone on "another forum" I'm on.

I was an Amiga Format reader y'see.

[edit] Sorry, that wasn't an excellent explanation! Well, then I read the articles on his website and decided he was a good and interesting writer, and his forums were full of rather amusing and clever people.
I admit I laughed Mimi, but I'm sick of all the sniping so I politely ask that everyone either post nice things about Stu or don't post. Thanks!

Killing with kindness see.
kalmar wrote:
I had never heard of him until he had a raging row with someone on "another forum" I'm on.

I was an Amiga Format reader y'see.

Amiga Format has got an unfair amount of stick. Looking back I realise it was trying to be adult and was a bit rubbish. But as a kid doing the same it fit me quite well.

That and when I got my A1200 the amiga format cover disk I got on boxing day had a demo of Cannon Fodder on it. That rocked.
Get in the queue, ComicalFace.
I just found WoS when Myoptika told me I should join so I could play video games with him and other peoples.

I do, though, remember him from the video games magazines from when I was younger.
The name "Matt Bettington" lurks in my mind in relation to AF, as a reviewer. For some reason I remember not liking him much.

I wonder if he has a website and a forum too now?
Occasional reader of Amiga Power (I bought Amiga Format every month, fooling myself that it was a more "worthy" magazine. Dolt.), then reader of his Panel 4 columns in Digitiser. Idly wondered what he'd been up to a few years back, Googled him, found WoS. (Actually, I'm not sure if I found WoS or Digiworld first, but anyway, it was years ago.)

Still think he's a damn fine writer, and still subbing to his forum. He's usually spot-on when it comes to games, too (ie my taste and his are very similar).
I genuinely have no idea how I ended up there. I hadn't heard of Mr Campbell, as I didn't have an Amiga. Nor, indeed, did I buy games mags at all. Still,, I was incredibly cuffed at my discovery of such a lovely, well run forum, especially as the only other forum I had frequented before WoS was the one at http://www.rollonfriday.co.uk which is full of cuntish, opinionated right wing lawyers*.

*What do you mean "is there any other sort"?
myoptika wrote:
Get in the queue, ComicalFace.

*sniff*
Glass Museum, whom I knew from a previous local music forum (though he wasn't actually so local), sent me a link to the place, and I lurked for a while before posting every so often.

I hadn't heard of Stu, and I didn't care who he was; it was the other people who made the place.
Stu's taste in games is impeccable. Sure it is a subset of the complete spectrum of games I'm interested in, but anything he recommends is always, at the very least, worth trying.

He made me try Rhythm Tengoku for example. And thats' the best game ever made.
I have already been nice about Stu on the being horrible to Stu thread.

I actually said I liked him. The post above was nothing but me showing that I thought that everyone liked him, deep down, by posting a pretty picture. :)

I actually do like Stu, in some ways. He's intelligent and often made me laugh, sometimes for all the wrong reasons, but there you go.
Lave wrote:

I think, sir, you'll find that that's Dune 2. Ackshewelly.

EDITED for being completely wrong. Dune 2000. Tsk. Honestly.
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Do I get to wear a tiara at the wedding? If so, I am yours :kiss:
Mr Chris wrote:
Lave wrote:

Blatant FTFY.
Mimi wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Do I get to wear a tiara at the wedding? If so, I am yours :kiss:

I'll have to check with the gf first to see if she minds being replaced by someone from the internets. I'll keep you informed. :munkeh:
Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Lave wrote:

Blatant FTFY.

I was just about to rant about Mr Chris saying Dune 2000 over Dune 2 - but then I realised I've never played Dune 2000, so I can't really speak.

Though for it to be better than the masterpiece that is Dune a lot must have happened in Dune 3, Dune 4, Dune 5, Dune 6...
Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Lave wrote:

Blatant FTFY.

GAH.

Yes, of course. My bad.
Please do, CG. I haven't checked with Craig yet but I am sure he won't mind.
I used to read Amiga Power and my brother pointed me in the direction of his website... boring story I know, but I do remember the story of Rich Pelley being loud on the telephone and wearing layers of clothing that made no sense (ie a shirt over a jumper)
Mimi wrote:

Considering the level of interest I feel eBay would be the best option.
Like mrchris Ive no idea how I ended up there.
Craig wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Considering the level of interest I feel eBay would be the best option.

"sold as seen, no guarantee given or implied. Mileage correct at time of going to press"
Ah! Those were the days! I was quite the latecomer to WoS as well. Maybe it was all my fault.
ZOMG Stu got me with a funneh! Props to him for that.
I never owned an Amiga, but I did work in Game during the machine's heyday and so had a steady suppy of magazines without covers to read. Amiga Power was brilliant I used to read every word despite having absolutely no interest in the machine it was theoretically covering.

I can't remember how I came to WoS, but I find Stuart's writing massively entertaining no matter what the subject, and at the time it had the added bonus of a forum full of intimidatingly intelligent and talented people that I could hang around the periphery of and learn stuff I didn't know about things I didn't know I needed to know about.

I'm still subscribing because a) I'm a bit sentimental and appreciate the many hours of entertainment Stu's work has given me down the years, b) I think it's a great idea that talented people should be subsidised to create whatever the fancy takes them, and c) the world in general and the games industry in particular needs more people who won't ever compromise, even in the face of armaggeddon.

So there we go.
[edit]I cannot work the forum. Sigh.[/edit]
Rodafowa wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
I never owned an Amiga, but I did work in Game during the machine's heyday and so had a steady suppy of magazines without covers to read. Amiga Power was brilliant I used to read every word despite having absolutely no interest in the machine it was theoretically covering.

I can't remember how I came to WoS, but I find Stuart's writing massively entertaining no matter what the subject, and at the time it had the added bonus of a forum full of intimidatingly intelligent and talented people that I could hang around the periphery of and learn stuff I didn't know about things I didn't know I needed to know about.

I'm still subscribing because a) I'm a bit sentimental and appreciate the many hours of entertainment Stu's work has given me down the years, b) I think it's a great idea that talented people should be subsidised to create whatever the fancy takes them, and c) the world in general and the games industry in particular needs more people who won't ever compromise, even in the face of armaggeddon.

So there we go.
Lave wrote:
Ah! Those were the days! I was quite the latecomer to WoS as well. Maybe it was all my fault.

That's alright - it's not like you had free will in the decision, anyway

MR IN-JOKE FACE.
Trousers wrote:

I thought I'd pinch what I posted on that thread and paste it here but I appear to have just posted some drivel about Rhyl instead. I think I found WoS through Stu's top 100 speccy games (that doesn't include Chaos) article.
Trousers wrote:

My answer is in there. My answer is as boring as I feared it to be.

Also, the thread contains genuine 100% titler. :titler:
Craster wrote:
Lave wrote:

That's alright - it's not like you had free will in the decision, anyway

MR IN-JOKE FACE.

Having met in real life is weird. Though I'm slowly replacing the memories of you at the pub with memories of you avatar being at the pub.

Clique-be-gone?:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I was fretting about free-will in a pub because I'm a foolish fool
Mr Dave wrote:

THERE IS AN EMAIL BUTTON!
SOMEONE (who isn't me) GET HIM OVER HERE!
HAHAHAHAH!

NO, please.
Mr Chris wrote:
HAHAHAHAH!

NO, please.

"it's as if a thousand million souls all cried out in pain"
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

THERE IS AN EMAIL BUTTON!
SOMEONE (who isn't me) GET HIM OVER HERE!

I dread to think quite what he would be like if he realised he'd become a forum joke.
Not just a joke, a fucking smilie
Yeah, through Amiga Power for me too. Although I say that, the first AP I bought was issue 45 and Stu had left by then, so I suppose my interest in Amiga Power led me to reading Stu's stuff online in later years. Was also and avid reader of Digitiser. Felt bad when he got hounded out of YakYak and missed his frequently hilarious postings so joined WoS.
Oh man, Imagine if my "Look at us rise above it all" thread became the bringer of Titler.

Ooh I would have egg on my face then!
You just have to look into the mirror and say his name three times.
Mr Chris wrote:
You just have to look into the mirror and say his name three times.

To be fair that spell works for Stu as well. Mention his name 3 times in a thread and he'll appear. We tried it at YY once.
You bastard

If he turns up I'll end up spending 28 hours a day on here arguing. I've got babies to feed, man! Think of the children!
Page 1 of 14 [ 694 posts ]