Gaming Magazines
and the discussion thereof

Which was more boring?
Amiga Format  19%  [ 4 ]
CU Amiga  9%  [ 2 ]
Amiga Shopper  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21
Nice container thread to discuss the latest editions of mags n stuff.

Just took delivery of this month's Retro Gamer, and their Desert Island discs bit this month is Simon Munnery(!), Gaz Top and..... Lemmy(!!) Lemmy likes Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube 8)
I'm canceling my Edge sub.

They're gradually weeding out all the bits I read the most.

And they're getting wankier.
I thought the article on Gaming Bosses was good in this month's Edge. The rest was wishy washy flim flam as usual.
Dimrill wrote:
I thought the article on Gaming Bosses was good in this month's Edge. The rest was wishy washy flim flam as usual.

Yeah, there's the odd bit that good every few issues, but not enough to justify the cost.
Dimrill wrote:
is Simon Munnery(!), Gaz Top and..... Lemmy(!!) Lemmy likes Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube 8)

If you've made up even one WORD of that I will be furious.
I can confirm this is entirely true. And "Mr. Top" as he likes to be known, seems to enjoy Gran Turismo Concept so much it would be his only game on a desert island. You'd think Violet Berlin would hit him for such things. Well, OK...maybe not.
I don't buy any gaming magazines
MaliA wrote:
I don't buy any gaming magazines

Nor me...I steal and read sheepeh's Retro Gamer and GamesTM.
I never subscribe to anything. That said I have pretty much every issue of Edge for the past several years. It's fairly consistently readable. Most game mags and websites are horrendously badly written these days so it's not hard for it to be a cut above the rest.

My favourite magazine at the moment is probably Wired. I like all the cool engineering things and rocket building and stuff. There was a great article a few months back about two fellas trying to beat the world record for driving across America by driving at 110mph with scanners and loads of other gubbins so they wouldn't get nabbed by the fuzz.
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/ma ... ntPage=all
I've never been able to find NGamer anywhere, and the Mario Kart Wii review it had (that I read on the web) was the fairest and most accurate review I've seen of the game, so does anyone know where I can buy NGamer in London?

CUS wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
is Simon Munnery(!), Gaz Top and..... Lemmy(!!) Lemmy likes Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube 8)

If you've made up even one WORD of that I will be furious.

As will I. That is awesome. Munnery!!!
I read NGamer and Retro Gamer, and subscribe to both. RG is my favourite.

Is it just me, or has NGamer started to try to appeal to "older" readers in the last couple of months, such as the feature on "adult" scenes in games?
I don't buy any games magazines any more. I picked up GamesTM the other month and it was just completely soulless and uninteresting. I keep an eye on Eurogamer for anything that might be interesting, and to be honest I find the writing quality on there to be of quite a high standard. Certainly far better than anything you'd find in WHSmiths these days.
GamesTM is one of the better ones, one actually worth bothering with.
The writing style is far better.
I was 'in' NGamer once, apparently. O_o
I was in Official Dreamcast Magazine once. I wrote a reader review of Daytona USA 2001, and they gave me the biggest screenshot on the page which means I win, I think. At the time I was just thrilled at the thought that Ed Lomas might have read it :nerd:
Oh!

Actually, this thread is a good excuse for me to ask a specific question!

Does anybody have a copy of Official Playstation 2 Magazine Issue 96? with Ghostbusters on the cover? Specifically, do you have the disc that goes with it?
Tmuk wrote:
I was in Official Dreamcast Magazine once. I wrote a reader review of Daytona USA 2001, and they gave me the biggest screenshot on the page which means I win, I think. At the time I was just thrilled at the thought that Ed Lomas might have read it :nerd:

If you like, I can scan that in, I have all of the ODM...
MrD wrote:
Oh!

Actually, this thread is a good excuse for me to ask a specific question!

Does anybody have a copy of Official Playstation 2 Magazine Issue 96? with Ghostbusters on the cover? Specifically, do you have the disc that goes with it?

I think I might have it somewhere. Want it?
Subscribe to:

NGamer
GamesTM
Retro Gamer
EGM
EDGE

Usually end up buying:

PSM3
OPM
Play+
Subscribe to: Retro Gamer (because it's really cheap and I usually ended up buying it anyway)

Usually end up buying:

EDGE

I don't seem to mind it getting wankier. There's still enough in there to keep me happy. Plus I like looking at the pretty pictures of new games.
Subscribe :

RG

Usually buy:

N-Revolution. Well until recently when they put the price up £2 in the space of a single month.
EDIT: Well, if CUS is adding non-gaming stuff...

Get sent:
Retro Gamer
Total PC Gamer
MacFormat
.net

Subscribe to:
2000 AD
The Megazine (which is going to lapse, I think)

Buy:

I've finally got my magazine buying under control. Hurrah!
Gaming mags only? Sod that.

Always: Retro Gamer / Edge / The Word
Usually: Games TM / Uncut
Sometimes: Mojo / Total Film
This is turning into a list thread! BOO! BOOOOOOOO!
It seems I may yet need to make this an Esperanto-only forum then.
Did you give Daytona 2001 a positive review? I absolutely adore that game. The controls are a bit twitchy when you play it first but once you get over that it rules. The unlockable cars towards the end are fantastic. Plenty of challenge trying to get them as well. Need to get myself another Dreamcast...
I don't buy any 360 or DS-related mags, as they're all incredibly wanky.

I don't buy EDGE as it wanks itself off into its own mouth, while eating lots of really expensive licorice to flavour its spunk.

I sometimes buy PC Gamer, at least.

Lately, though, I just read old mags from my collection. Currently, I'm reading an Expert Gamer from summer 1998, and wishing I hadn't skipped so much of the Playstation/Saturn/N64 era. There are so many excellent games covered - Parasite Eve, Megaman Legends, Kartia, F-Zero X, Pocket Fighter... it makes me wistful.
MetalAngel wrote:
I don't buy EDGE as it wanks itself off into its own mouth, while eating lots of really expensive licorice to flavour its spunk.

BETEO Gold. We need an :applaud: dimlie. Although, I do buy it. I like licorice.
MrD wrote:
I was 'in' NGamer once, apparently. O_o
Me too. I think I must've had three dozen letters or whatever published in magazines over the years. Never got me anything more than a poxy sweatshirt, though.

So, magazines? NGamer (though I think honestly, it's gone downhill rather noticeably with the new editor) and Retro Gamer, but as RG is so hard to find round here, I tend to miss it.
If only there were some way to get it every month for near half price then...
Steal every other issue?
CUS wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

BETEO Gold. We need an :applaud: dimlie.

Hmm, a good idea's a good idea... I knew there was a reason I always liked that magazine.
Dudley wrote:
Not subscribing after the last time. No way.
Anonymous X wrote:
Dudley wrote:

I would have thought the 'risk' element long gone these days—Imagine's Retro Gamer has now put out 32 issues—nearly twice that of Live. Also, Imagine has way more titles selling happily than Live ever did.
Anonymous X wrote:
Dudley wrote:

And that attitude has so far cost you about £70.

Even if it DOES go bust there's a near half chance you'll still be ahead on that single 6 months, and obviously if it survives 1 then you're up no matter when in a sequence it does.

That said a total collapse of Imagine is somewhat more unlikely than the always rickety Live.
That and Imagine happily gave me a few free issues due to the Live fiasco. I sub to both RG and GamesTM, and have not had any problems at all.

RG's well worth the subbing, IMO.
Well indeed, although that was simply a stand up gesture on Imagine's part. £15 of free issues would have covered the entire subscription losses of 1/3rd of people though (and at least 1/3rd of everyone else's).
CUS wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

If you like, I can scan that in, I have all of the ODM...

I think it was in an issue with Sonic on the front cover if that helps?

Molloy wrote:
Did you give Daytona 2001 a positive review? I absolutely adore that game. The controls are a bit twitchy when you play it first but once you get over that it rules.

Yeah it was a positive review but I mentioned the control method as a negative point. Need to pick this up again myself actually, been giving the original on the Saturn a pounding of late.
is there any decent articles in the new games tm, I've had it for like a week but havent been arsed to look in it.
Which issue number is that? I've just taken out a sub with them using the handy "3 issues for a SPOND!" offer but my first issue won't arrive until May 15th.
MetalAngel wrote:

PERKIES IS BACK!!!

Yes.
not sure about issue number but its got star wars unleashed on the front cover.

im at uni and ive got an essay question for middle of may,

8) Discuss the applications, benefits and limitations of virtual reality in one of the following – medicine, entertainment, communications or gaming.

anyone seen any articles on that may help, or actually the emails of edge or games tm so i can try get something off them?
preferably soon as my ability to do any work at home is pretty much none
Everyone seen this months splendid edition of RG? It's the 50th issue and is rather splend.

In addition, I'm in it in the favourite gaming moments section talking about a Pickford game and YS. It's only a few sentances but it made me happy.

Hoorah!
And it has my six-page Roger Dean interview!
Did you ask him how he learned to whistle like that?
Wahay! I got my photo in the latest issue of Edge. :D Page 113 if anyone's interested.
A special on beardy weirdies?
I'm intrigued now.
Page 1 of 21 [ 1028 posts ]