Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
Beta sign up within
Only been using it for like 20 minutes but it's fast and really easy to use and you can link it up to that last.fm thing as well by the looks of it.

Anyway, it's invite only but you can get round that by following this link

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/
Looks like there is easy sharing of playlists and songs as well. Here is a 3 track playlist I quickly knocked together

http://open.spotify.com/user/bluecup/pl ... XMTSphZZXd
Ok, I'll give this a go.

Edit: Yeah, this looks pretty neat. How legal is it?
100% Legal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify

Ads should be played occasionally but I haven't heard one yet.

Also I've change that playlist above to a collaborative playlist which I'm guessing means other people can add songs to it.
I've joined, ta.

Will check out what it is later...
Bluecup wrote:
Ads should be played occasionally but I haven't heard one yet.

Urgh, sod that then, *Uninstall*
Agreed, I'm not going to buy anything so there's no point me being exposed to advertising.
I have been listening to it for ages, no ads kicked in yet!

Cheers for the link Bluecup.
Eggshellent, cheers.
This is actually great, and I hope it sticks around. I've been listening to all sorts, all day, and haven't heard a single advert yet — not that I'd mind if I did; I hear them on the radio, and I'll treat this as such.
Yeah this really is excellent, pretty much every neil young, rolling stones, dylan, bowie album for free pretty much, I think I saw an advert on the actual programme but Im not sure, Im wondering if theres a lack of ads since its still in beta. Anyway I couldnt recommend it more, especially get it now since its relatively ad free.
I have still had no ads at all and similarly put it down to it being in beta. I've been re-living my youth by listening to all the Nirvana and REM albums I have lost/given to people over the years!
Coo this is "sparkly", to use a Davydd Grimmism. They even have Burzum, and, surprisingly an NS tribute album to them/him.
I like this thread better.
VIVA LA ORIGINAL THREAD! VIVA BLUECUP!
I just signed my mum up to this. First track she played was by Carpathian Forest. I love my mum.
It'd better be off Strange Old Brew or she's failing.
It was Death Triumphant.
I just got my first audio advert. After almost four days of constant use. If this never changes, I'll be mightily happy, though I suspect it might.
Its great isnt it, I came in from drinking like the town drunk at daft oclock sleepy as hell but I ended up playing music on spotify for 2 hours. Im awfully tired now though.
First complaint: no Earache stuff. Probably Earache's fault that though.
Why am I getting this?

Quote:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Mr Chris wrote:
Why am I getting this?

They blocks lawyers from their site.
They don't like the cut of your cardy.
Dimrill wrote:

Earache are a bunch of fucking cunts is probably why.
"heh"s for nyncompoop and mrakg. :)
Right you cunts, I haven't heard any new music in fucking ages, so all those people who posted in the album of 2008 thread, make playlists and then give them to me. Twats. And someone better fucking tell me how to get said playlists as well, or so help me God....
If they could get a fair bit more indie labels and possibly the beatles stuff I'd be tempted to pay the 10 quid a month when it eventually goes ad heavy. Would be good if they made it more community based so you could have a friendslist and recommend stuff through that rather than links.
Runcle wrote:
If they could get a fair bit more indie labels and possibly the beatles stuff I'd be tempted to pay the 10 quid a month when it eventually goes ad heavy. Would be good if they made it more community based so you could have a friendslist and recommend stuff through that rather than links.

Indeed, to all of that. The service is so fast it's practically like having millions of tracks right on your hard drive, physically. Very impressed.
Although, Napster costs me that and they seem to have a lot more.
It doesn't have Amber Gray, it's shit*.

*level of perceived shitness varies with degree of Jon Chang fanboyism
Thanks Bluecup, this is rather good, isn't it! I reckon with more development it'll get extremely good in a short amount of time, we'll see. Hopefully a bunch of indies will sign up, I see they have the labels and artists signup link to get on the site, worth looking at I reckon. They seem to be onto the right side of posi by embracing Ogg Vorbis and Last.fm too, it also complements Last.fm very well if you install the Greasemonkey script they created. Very interesting to see music distribution changing so dramatically right now, very exciting times!
Ok, here goes, everyone listen to Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, it is one the greatest albums ever recorded!

edit: oooh, clever!
Anal Cunt's cover of Hello, I Love You is erroneously titled Some Songs. Tsk.
I got invites if anyone wants one
So apparently do I.
Dimrill wrote:

Wasn't this on Earache?
I really hope I can install this at work!
This is great and I had not heard of it anywhere else. I need to get out more (in both the real life and internet sense).

Not enough Punk to make it superb but I have still found enough to put a big smile on my face.
Hmm I've stuck the radio on random with all the genres I like (about half of them), and it hasn't come up with anything I've really liked yet.
myp wrote:
Hmm I've stuck the radio on random with all the genres I like (about half of them), and it hasn't come up with anything I've really liked yet.

Let Uncle Chinny do the work for you:
http://open.spotify.com/user/chinnyhill10/playlist/1nITzPaLIZRF7U4hLOEvDN
There don't seem to be very many genres.
Bobbyaro wrote:
It chews up 256kbit/sec per user, so don't tell too many more people in work about it!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
It chews up 256kbit/sec per user, so don't tell too many more people in work about it!

Ah, the days of a 256k leased line and chewing up most of the bandwidth on Napster. Bwahahahahaha.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

If I can install it, they may notice pretty quickly then. May have to read the computer usage policy first!
Davydd Grimm wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Wasn't this on Earache?

You are correct, sir. I also found The Laibach Remixes of Morbid Angel, but not much else.
I'm putting together a Soul playlist in honour of my Dad who died just over a year ago. I remember many a happy hour in our motorhome travelling to holidays listening to his soul tapes and thought I could use this here thinger to recreate it somewhat. Anyway, it's a collaborative playlist http://open.spotify.com/user/dimrill/pl ... DACbuhgS3F so if you want to contribute to it, please do. I kicked it off with the track we played at his funeral.
Page 1 of 12 [ 573 posts ]