WiiFit
has arrived
First gamesince nintendogs my wife is buying (and she didn't like nintendogs) and i just got calle di can pick it up

more interested?
Yes, it looks interesting though it's actual use as a 'Keep Fit' aid looks a bit hyped up, to me. The skiing game that uses the same peripheral looks quite fun, though.
*tries to resist wanking-off-two-blokes joke*
I don't have the room right now. If my Wii hadn't been a gift (well actually a bonus from work) I suspect I'd have sold the thing. There's little to bugger all on it that doesn't require a whole living room to be worth it.

That said, the Wii fit concept is good, if I was still in a place where consoles can live in living rooms rather than next to my bed in a room with no floorspace I'd be in.
I want to get it, but will wait for a price drop or job.
I've been asked enthusiastic questions about Wii Fit from female people.

They weren't enthusiastic when I mentioned that Wii Fit was £69.99.
I've pre-ordered it. I'm rather excited.

The geek in me love the idea of plotting my BMI against time. I think they've been quite level at promoting it as a motivational tool rather than the instrument that will produce weight loss by itself.

I'm totally skint but my thesis is totally making me neglect my body, whilst also giving me very little time to not be at my deak. So I took a punt on it. The way I see it, when I'm working till 5am (like I tend to do when 'in the zone') being able to get up and do some stretches and what not will help me stay sane.

That and the preorder put made the price start with a 5, which whilst only making it a tenner cheaper it made it seem reasonable in my head.
Tesco are putting it out cheap - but I can't remember how cheap.
I wouldn't mind getting it.
This is the first piece of console equipment (well it's not really a game is it?) that both my mother and sister are intending to buy. God bless Ninty, they've even got my mum gaming at the somewhat late age of 61 (She bought a DS a couple of months ago).
Even my mum mentioned this because my cousin is getting one.

My mum. 8)
Hang on a minute - has it 'arrived' or is it out on Friday?
Mrs Squirt will probably be after this.

We got a Wii this weekend - we only have WiiSports and Super Mario Galaxy at the mo, but it's won her over in a way no "normal" console could. Watching her box in wii sports is a remarkable experience - it's like watching a chimp get tied to a frame with bungy cords and then electrocuted.
It up on amazon.co.uk if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-RVLRRF ... 580&sr=8-2

edit: was up, eek.
Dudley wrote:
I don't have the room right now. If my Wii hadn't been a gift (well actually a bonus from work) I suspect I'd have sold the thing. There's little to bugger all on it that doesn't require a whole living room to be worth it.

Except No More Heroes, which is officially better than sliced bread.
And: Zak and Wiki, Endless Ocean, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, Mario Kart Wii, RE4.

In order of favourites my Consoles are: Wii > XBLA >>> 360 Disk games.
I wanted to love Excite Truck but I got bored of it very, very quickly plus it has the wooliest controls ever. Endless Ocean trades entirely on graphics and thus needs to be on a machine with HD Mario Kart requires stupid spaccy remote controls (I'm told there are functions missing if you play it with a controller), RE4 is a port, Trauma Centre started good on DS then got both insanely hard and has hideously unresponsive controls, the wii version may be better.

Is that really the best it's got?

Mario Galaxy interests but that apparently still relies on fairly pointless waggling of the remote which was added because it was there and they had to use it.
Excite Truck is probably my favorite racing game ever. But i don't usually like racing games. My racing games all time top is:

1- Excite Truck
2- 4d sports driving
Dudley wrote:
Mario Kart requires stupid spaccy remote controls

Huh?
Mario Kart has about 4 different control options (including pad). Mario Galaxy's controls are superb.

Get them Duds.
Dudley wrote:
I wanted to love Excite Truck but I got bored of it very, very quickly plus it has the wooliest controls ever. Endless Ocean trades entirely on graphics and thus needs to be on a machine with HD Mario Kart requires stupid spaccy remote controls (I'm told there are functions missing if you play it with a controller), RE4 is a port, Trauma Centre started good on DS then got both insanely hard and has hideously unresponsive controls, the wii version may be better.

Is that really the best it's got?

Mario Galaxy interests but that apparently still relies on fairly pointless waggling of the remote which was added because it was there and they had to use it.

You are astonishingly wrong.
Excite Truck is the best 1 player racer since Outrun 2006. The controls are perfect.
Endless Ocean trades on graphics, but it's a concept that would never see light of day on the 360 or PS3 and the fact it exists at all is wonderful. That and it's lovely and relaxing and soothing.
Mario Karts Wheel is super, and responsive and lovely. I was extremely doubtful of it and I've never even bothered to try the other control methods as it is so lovely.
RE 4 is a port. It's also one of the best ports ever done.
Mario Galaxys has waggle to spin. Which works and allows you far easier controls in my opinion. Means you never have to take your fingers of the other two buttons.

Sounds to me that your just being "I don't like new things" about the way you control stuff.
No, I'm being "I don't have the room to stand up and leap all over the room" about how I control stuff. If it can't be controlled lying down on a bed, I don't have the room (no I can't even sit except crosslegged, the 360 occupies the entirety of the floor space between bed and TV) This rules out almost everything.

I was told MK's pad controls missed some functions. If this is not true I'll consider it.

It's wonderful that everyone at Nintendo has a large house but they need to have proper control options for their games while possible and not shoe horn in "ooh we must use a remote function" for no apparent reason (I'm looking at you Paper Mario)

Not sure how you assume Endless Ocean would never appear on PS3 given the appearence on Ps1 of the almost identical "Aquanaut's Holiday"

Quote:
Excite Truck is probably my favorite racing game ever. But i don't usually like racing games. My racing games all time top is:

1- Excite Truck
2- 4d sports driving

You NEED to play trackmania.
Dudley wrote:

Oh dear God, this. If they just took out the collecting and shooting of the "star bits" it would be ace.
Duds: None of the game's were talking about need space to jump about. Thats why they were listed.

Grim: I love collecting the start bits. And then firing them at stuff. Not liking that is not liking fun itself!
Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Oh dear God, this. If they just took out the collecting and shooting of the "star bits" it would be ace.

You people sicken me.

Mario Galaxy's controls are completely awesome, and I usually hate wavey type controls. The shooting of Star Bits is part of the game, and doing it with a GC pad would be horribly clumsy.
Sheepeh wrote:
The shooting of Star Bits is part of the game

Yeah, but it didn't have to be. I don't sit far from my TV, but I guess I sit further than most people as aiming the Wiimote is a proper chore that has to be done at arms length.
Lave wrote:
Duds: None of the game's were talking about need space to jump about. Thats why they were listed.

They can all be controlled entirely with a Joypad? You can't use the remote lying down and I can't sit cross legged on a bed forever.

And if Excite truck's "React 3 days after you do things" controls is the best it'll get then it's probably not worth the effort.
Dudley wrote:
Lave wrote:

They can all be controlled entirely with a Joypad? You can't use the remote lying down and I can't sit cross legged on a bed forever.

And if Excite truck's "React 3 days after you do things" controls is the best it'll get then it's probably not worth the effort.

Endless Ocean is the perfect laying down on a bed and play game.
Lave wrote:
The geek in me love the idea of plotting my BMI against time. I think they've been quite level at promoting it as a motivational tool rather than the instrument that will produce weight loss by itself.

shame i already lost 30 lbs in a year due to cycling a larger distance to work. don't think i can gain quite that much anymore..
Bluecup wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Lave wrote:

Endless Ocean is the perfect laying down on a bed and play game.

Indeed, shame it's a tech demo on the least techy format. I might still pick it up cheap but I suspect I'd be thinking "You know, this really would be so much better in HD" the entire time.
sounds like someone needs to move house fast.
Don't get one with a 'not small' living room.
Grim... wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

Yeah, but it didn't have to be. I don't sit far from my TV, but I guess I sit further than most people as aiming the Wiimote is a proper chore that has to be done at arms length.

ProTip: If you haven't already go to the settings on the channel start thingy and bump up the sensitivity of your remote till you get two strong spots from your IR bar. You shouldn't have to be doing that.
Grim... wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

I've always been fine with resting each forearm on my knees, sitting on my settee and just using gentle flicks of the wrist. This way allows me to use boths hands and not lose any grip.

:hat:

I see where you're coming from with the "doesn't have to be" comment about Star Bits, but that's not all the remote is useful for, and being able to point and shoot is a lot easier because the pointer is relative to the screen, not the onscreen level which as you know will be flipping and rolling like a flippy rolly thing.

If the game were made to rely on a GC pad, I'm not sure it'd be much more than Super Mario 64 2, which wouldn't be a bad thing of course but it'd be a clunky bastard to control as the views change. I think many people would be upset were it pad controlled only.
Lave wrote:
ProTip: If you haven't already go to the settings on the channel start thingy and bump up the sensitivity of your remote till you get two strong spots from your IR bar. You shouldn't have to be doing that.

Yeah, t'is on max already. I'm going to experiment with putting it under my TV at some point (instead of on top, which is about two feet further away).
Dudley wrote:
Lave wrote:

Every game I listed I play sitting comfortably on my couch. Hell it's better as I don't have to keep my hands together in many cases.

Also: Mario Karts Wheel controls are instantaneous to me. The drifty controls for excite truck were intentional and I think a lot of people think thats the best the remote can do, which I don't take to be the case at all.
Grim... wrote:
Lave wrote:

Yeah, t'is on max already. I'm going to experiment with putting it under my TV at some point (instead of on top, which is about two feet further away.

Wow, you must be pretty far away then. Or have some interference from chandeliers or something. Maybe this is the first case of your massive wealth being your own undoing :p
I'd say ten, maybe twelve feet - perhaps a little more.
Several peeps from this forum have been to my place - it's not that big as living rooms go, IMHO.
It should work over a greater distance than that - I think you can set sensitivity in the Wii menus. the living room in lancaster is quite a bit longer than that, and we did have trouble when the TV was right at one end and the sofa at the other, but only by, annoyingly, about six inches. It wasn't until Craig moved the sofa and Tv to a different area of the living room that I realised you could set the sensitivity somewhere.

Here in London the distance will never be a problem, in my pokey mini world....
Like mimi I'm a londoner. I've a teeny tiny living room/kitchen so I could test 12' if I wanted to! Bit shit if they are that weak though.
Oooh, Mr Internet says my Wii Fit is on its way to the shop for collection! Score!
Lave wrote:
Like mimi I'm a londoner.

/waves
Quote:
Unresearched blurge about Mario Kart controls

I love playing Excite Truck with tilt-o-matic wiimote control, but the Mario Kart wheel doesn't do it for me, so I play with Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Nunchuck stick steers, with the C (or is it Z?) button firing weapons, and up/down choosing whether you throw them forward/backward, just like on the Gamecube.

Wiimote uses the A button for acceleration and the trigger for hop/drift, and to pull tricks off ramps you just jerk the wiimote in whatever direction you choose. Works perfectly, feels very natural, and lets you laugh at yourself when you're desperately trying to pull tricks off bits of wobbly ground.

No functionality missing, no stupid remote frippery (as I say, the tricks are actually very natural), and I personally find the wiimote/nunchuck split far more comfy than holding my hands together clutching a joypad.

If you want to play on classic/GC controllers, there's again no functionality missing, but you have to use the D-Pad to pull off tricks, which would be an absolute ballache IMO. The Wiimote jerking really is the most elegant way to do it.
I just thought - people with torretts must struggle like fuck with Wii games.
Grim... wrote:
Lave wrote:
Like mimi I'm a londoner. WHo doesn't own a road.

/waves

FTFM :p
Wait, why does a Mario Kart gave have "Tricks" ?
Whomper wrote:
Quote:
Unresearched blurge about Mario Kart controls

I love playing Excite Truck with tilt-o-matic wiimote control, but the Mario Kart wheel doesn't do it for me, so I play with Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Have you tried the Bikes with just the Wiimote (not the wheel)? It lets you tilt rather than rotate, so it's a lot more bikey and nice. It's my method of choice for the Bikes but I need the wheel for the karts as it makes the minute adjustments for powersliding a breeze.
Dudley wrote:
Wait, why does a Mario Kart gave have "Tricks" ?

If you 'flick' the remote when you leave the ground you get a boost when you land. It works very, very well. It's basically blue sparks for jumps.
Grim... wrote:
I just thought - people with torretts must struggle like fuck with Wii games.

Not as bad as DS games. You should see what the Nintendogs puppy does when you tell it to "FUCK COCK BALLBAGS".
Grim... wrote:
Lave wrote:
Like mimi I'm a londoner.

/waves

/Refuses to make eye contact with anyone in the carriage.
Page 1 of 2 [ 95 posts ]