Heatwave 22
Complain here!
Getting pretty hot. No desire to do anything except act like a healthy dalek and hydrate constantly.
I'm at a netrunner competition and there's nine of us in a fifteen foot square room. The chiller unit is probably going to melt in a bit.

I also have a bye so guaranteed points. And guaranteed 'rona.
That Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow match was insane.
I’m away on holiday next week, so it’ll be cooler by the sea.
Tomorrow we’re watching the hill climb at Shelsley Walsh so that’s going to be really toasty in the sun.

On the up side I now have an aircon which will help a lot.
You'll probably drive past the bottom of our lane. Gizza wave.
I'm having my heatwaves on different days, being in Europe and all. Poland was freaking hot the other week, and I didn't really sleep for a week. Austria right now is warm but still cool in the shade. Still spent just 5 euros on food, thanks to a Too Good to Go bargain at a Chinese buffet, but 10 euros on drinks (at the supermarket).
BikNorton wrote:

Did you see the Lancaster flying past today?
JBR wrote:
I'm having my heatwaves on different days, being in Europe and all. Poland was freaking hot the other week, and I didn't really sleep for a week. Austria right now is warm but still cool in the shade. Still spent just 5 euros on food, thanks to a Too Good to Go bargain at a Chinese buffet, but 10 euros on drinks (at the supermarket).

A Chinese buffet in a heatwave shows great faith in your gastrointestinal fortitude
Cras wrote:
JBR wrote:

A Chinese buffet in a heatwave shows great faith in your gastrointestinal fortitude

Just checked in with my stomach, even after sushi from same. Solid.
Attachment:
IMG_20220716_121503344.jpg

This is how I kept cool today
Supposed to be cooler here on the coast thankfully.
Bloody toastie in the Peak District yesterday though!
Malc wrote:

That's a lovely family photo Malc!
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I didn't - what sort of time? Morning I was asleep, early afternoon I was in Tesco.

I do remember something unusually low-sounding, but I'm not sure it was yesterday.
BikNorton wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I didn't - what sort of time? Morning I was asleep, early afternoon I was in Tesco.

I do remember something unusually low-sounding, but I'm not sure it was yesterday.

Early afternoon. Today there was a Spitfire and Hurricane at 3:45
Was Mick Jagger hiding round the corner?
Oh wait, that's crossfire, ignore me
Kern wrote:
Malc wrote:

That's a lovely family photo Malc!

Thanks, was surprised to get the spot to ourselves, shame there wasn't a shot with more of us in. But I do like it
Hang on, will it be flying ant day today? I hope so! FLANTS!
It's started off overcast and raining here in the Glorious South Hams
I see the odd light on my rain tracker thing and send negative vibes that way.

I think I slept better last night than the previous two, not sure if that's acclimatisation or just better cooling techniques.
We had flants day last week.
Our huge colony that was living under our patio for yaaaaaaars were sadly wiped out when we had it relaid a few years ago. Maybe I'm just missing out on flants now :(
what the hell are you saying? Decking can't fly. Madman.
I keep sitting in the car, as the air con can be switched on remotely
It’s too hot for me to post as sensibly as normal.
My office is pleasent and cool as I had the blackout curtains shut all weekend. I might sleep in here tonight.
Honestly contemplating going for a swim in the sea at lunchtime, the water is fucking miles away at the moment though. I might just stick to Bargain Hunt and a nobbly bobbly instead.
In more serious advice..
Something about the vinegar alkalises them
Cras wrote:
Something about the vinegar alkalises them

We will never know.
Not sure this is wise tbh, if everyone does it it might upset the pH balance of the whole sky causing goodness knows what.
It's all a conspiracy by Big Vinegar
I'd point out that vinegar is ethanoic acid but honestly what's the use (as Peaness might say)?
That must be someone trolling them, right?
You'd think so, but given how insane the people who believe in chem trail conspiracies are, they probably do believe a tea towel sized amount of vinegar a fair dostance away is a suitable "cure".
There’s no Chem trails over our chippy, FACT.
Zardoz wrote:
There’s no Chem trails over our chippy, FACT.

Non Brewed Condiment only works for 5G removal.
Earlier, I went to a party at yacht club. it was very hot; there was no aircon, not even a sea breeze, either, as the bar was shut.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
My shoes melted.

That's crazy!
MaliA wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
My shoes melted.

That's crazy!

We’ve gone on holiday today, and caught a ferry over to the Isle Of Wight. It might have been when we went onto the sun deck on the roof as it would have been baking in the sun all day. It’s cooler here though. Was only 31.

Back at home there’s a wild fire on the lickey hills, and power cuts as the substation has overheated.
I was getting a tremendous amount of heat from my roof/attic yesterday that made upstairs unbearable. My aircon couldn’t put a dent in it.

I suspect heat was just pouring through my loft door (hatch?) which is just a bit of wood that lifts up.

Genuine question: any ideas how to stop this maybe? Like insulate the door or seal the cracks or some shit. I was dying yesterday and todays going to be worserer.
Insulate the back of the door
Yeah but how and with what stuff I’ve got around the house?
Heat rises. I've opened the hatches slightly for attics one and two, and opened the window in the roof of the Brewtility room. This has pulled the hot upstairs air out. I will shut them all when the sun comes around, or I stop feeling the air moving. This would work better if we had access to the main stairs, and not just the servants stairs, as that would be a strategic cold air reserve, but that is a monologue for another day

I suggest opening the attic door, and see what happens. It is unlikely to make it worse. It might give the Aircon a chance
Page 1 of 3 [ 117 posts ]