When Love Is Gone

Is this song a good inclusion in the Muppets Christmas Carol?
Yay  33%  [ 2 ]
Nay  33%  [ 2 ]
I don’t know the film well enough to form an opinion but like clicking buttons.  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
Genuinely curious as to what the general consensus is (if there is one)
about this song that was cut from later releases of The Muppets Christmas Carol
A little background.

The song was cut from the theatrical release by the head of Disney at the time, but the director always wanted it in the film. It was included in the VHS release so is the version of the film people our age watched as we grew up. But most of the other releases of the film don't include the song.
‘Our age’, lol. You talk about us as if we’re all old. People Craster’s age, I think you mean.
The majority of people on this forum would of been kids/teens in the mid 90's when this film was out on VHS.

Source :)
It's an awful song and even on the VHS I used to fast forward past it.
Bluecup wrote:
The majority of people on this forum would of been kids/teens in the mid 90's when this film was out on VHS.

Source :)

I’m only joking. It was on my VHS, and I was so happy when the DVD release got rid of it. I fast forwarded, also. It’s not just the song, but Belle’s voice. It’s so falsely sweet and that awful faux baby-softness. Bleurgh.
Also, it's a fucking Muppets movie and there are no Muppets!
To be fair, some of the best scenes have only the muppet ghost in the background.

Quote:
An unwanted creature, but not a rat, a leech or a cockroach…

Then what?

It's Ebenezer Scrooge!
Mimi wrote:
To be fair, some of the best scenes have only the muppet ghost in the background.

Quote:

Then what?

It's Ebenezer Scrooge!

Aye, true enough. But those are scenes that are from the original story.
DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Quote:

Then what?

It's Ebenezer Scrooge!

Aye, true enough. But those are scenes that are from the original story.

The break-up scene happens in the original book text, too. Just… not in tedious song form.
I feel a little sorry for the actress who was in a whole bunch of nothing much, got her big break in a big movie and then had her main scene cut cos it was rubbish and everyone hated it.
Mimi wrote:
I’m only joking. It was on my VHS, and I was so happy when the DVD release got rid of it. I fast forwarded, also. It’s not just the song, but Belle’s voice. It’s so falsely sweet and that awful faux baby-softness. Bleurgh.

Oh, no offence taken.

I must admit, I don't get the hate for the song.

I guess it's my little hill to die on. I will always maintain it's an important part of the film that should be in there.
DavPaz wrote:

I want fucking Muppets!
Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I want fucking Muppets!

Giphy "fucking muppets":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/vwI4mYEHP8k0w/giphy-loop.mp4
Oh, boo Giphy! Booo!
Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I want fucking Muppets!

You want Avenue Q.
If you want more muppets, there was a song recorded and is on the soundtrack but wasn't filmed for Dr Bunsen and Beaker because it really wasn't needed in the movie.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]