Back4Blood
New Left4Dead style game
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... eft-4-dead

Has anyone heard anything about this? I got an email invite to apply for an alpha today, for PC only.

It sounds like a Left 4 Dead style game and apparently shares a similar team. I’m cautiously optimistic for this. Left4Dead was a real gaming highlight for me. I’d say my favourite online gaming memories are the times where Beexers have gotten really into games, like MW, Burnout Paradise, Gears of War and L4D. I’d love for a new game to come out that recaptures that L4D feeling.
I'm desperate for this to basically be L4D3
It was the Bext of times...
Cras wrote:
I'm desperate for this to basically be L4D3

Same! I remember spending hours trying to survive til the final safe room on the hardest difficulty.
I searched, but you failed by adding spaces. :zombie:
sdg wrote:
I searched, but you failed by adding spaces. :zombie:

You failed by only learning about the game now
Alpha access is being sent out now to people who registered. I got an invite but I don’t game on PC so it’s no use.
Twitter tells me this is out today, is that right? If so, is anyone playing it? I’d be up for organising a game night if there were others who were interested.
It's Left4Dead3. It's brilliant: so much better than the beta was.
I got a physical copy a day or two ago and played the first mission - its *very* much Left 4 dead with a few extras and looks like it will be fun - I'm up for playing it any evening
Omg now I’m super excited! Does it play cross platform? I’m on XSX.
It does - very well, in fact.
sdg wrote:
Omg now I’m super excited! Does it play cross platform? I’m on XSX.

Yes cross platform play (although reading online it does not allow you to jump between so your unlocks are only on the platform your playing on) - I'm on PS5
Ok amazing. I’ve just remembered I’ve got visitors this weekend (where’s lockdown when you want it lol) so I’ll see what next week looks like. It’s unlikely I’d be able to play tonight but I’ll start the download just in case.
I think its about 20gig , and I'd also play through the intro / first mission which introduces the characters and gives you a few basics (although i think you can go back and do that with friends later as well)
Is it free on Xbox? I was needing to go to Argos today and thought I could pick it up but it’s in the game pass section of my Xbox?
It looks like it’s installing, that can’t be right?! A brand new game for free?!
zaphod79 wrote:
Xbox game pass

So I don’t need to buy the game?
sdg wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Xbox game pass

Nope - as long as you have game pass and as long as the game is on there its yours
I got it on Gamepass - lots of brand new games go on there, it really is a fantastic deal. And you can indeed do the tutorial with friends.
I was deeply unimpressed with the Beta. I mean it wasn't Battlefield 2042, that is seriously dogshit, but I didn't find it very fun. I've set it to download on my Series S, so we'll see.
It's much improved.
To be fair it was an _actual_ beta, where they had time to improve. Unlike Battlefield 2042.
Pundabaya wrote:
I was deeply unimpressed with the Beta. I mean it wasn't Battlefield 2042, that is seriously dogshit, but I didn't find it very fun. I've set it to download on my Series S, so we'll see.

I *really* didnt like the beta - it was just load , move a little bit - get overwhelmed and die , repeat a few times and I deleted it.

However the game itself is basically nothing like the beta - it is a 'new' Left 4 dead - it has the same framework missions between saferooms / weapon and item pickups / maps / normal and special enemies and then throws in a few extras (each cleaner has their own special abilities / play cards to change the way the mission or some key things work).
zaphod79 wrote:
I *really* didnt like the beta - it was just load , move a little bit - get overwhelmed and die , repeat a few times and I deleted it.

I think this is pretty much why I don't get on with Aliens: Fireteam Elite.
Insufficient BRAAAAAP
I suppose it's not even the "die" bit, as that doesn't happen *that* often that it annoys me - it's just the super-samey gameplay of move a little bit, oh, scripted waves of aliens. Move a little bit, more scripted waves etc.
That's true, the total lack of any variation gave it a pretty short shelf life
I always remember that the first AvP game by Rebellion plonked the aliens down in random places throughout the maps and they basically just relied on their pathfinding and AI to make their way to you, rather than being scripted - which meant that you could never be quite sure when they were going to make an appearance.

I don't remember any problems with the way that worked, so it boggles my mind that no Aliens game has done it since. Alien Isolation had a similar kind of feel to it, though.
zaphod79 wrote:
sdg wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Xbox game pass

Nope - as long as you have game pass and as long as the game is on there its yours

I am astounded by this. I was already very pleased with my choice of the XSX instead of the PS5 but this cements it!
Those of you familiar with me and my impulsive nature won’t be surprised to know that this game is now installed on both consoles and if we don’t immediately fall asleep after putting the kids to bed I might try and play the intro tonight ready for games sometime next week.
Played the first couple of levels. Loved it, it’s just like Left4Dead.
One quick thing to point out which is not obvious :

You can play the campaign with Bots instead of real people and thats fine but you *have* to play level 1-4 with real people / online to unlock the other 4 cleaners.

If your not sure thats

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The short mission where you run over the bridge - through the boat then plant the explosives to blow it up - I *think* this was the one in the Beta but since I never got very far in it I'm not 100% sure
Am I the only one who every time this thread pops up finds themselves humming "Back4Blood" to the tune of a popular Take That hit?
Kern wrote:
Am I the only one who every time this thread pops up finds themselves humming "Back4Blood" to the tune of a popular Take That hit?

Well for me its a Soul II Soul song instead
Amy Winehouse here
Malc wrote:
Amy Winehouse here

*gets popcorn*
Kern wrote:

I sang in a choir with someone who sang on that record.
To be fair they have improved it loads. It doesn't unseat Vermintide 2 as the current King of the Left-4-Dead-em-ups. But its pretty good.
I’m home alone tonight so I’ll be playing this for a couple of hours, anyone else around for some games?
From what I can see (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/back ... tches-8035 for example) to get it working cross play you need to add friends from the main menu and you need to post your in game username which will be your gamertag with some numbers at the end

Mine is

Zaphod_79#6596
This might be the game that actually makes me bother adding friends and stuff to my PS4. For the past two ish years my friend list has been empty.

And on the PS4 as well.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
This might be the game that actually makes me bother adding friends and stuff to my PS4. For the past two ish years my friend list has been empty.

And on the PS4 as well.

I don’t get online a lot but if I’m ever online when you are I’m happy to play :)
Page 1 of 1 [ 49 posts ]