Pictures of things seen whilst walking
That you won't see in a city.
This angry bird, which hissed like a cat and then charged at me!
Attachment:
PXL_20210626_121121188.jpg
Saw this from the car this morning. Some very large Bird of Prey. Buzzard?
A bush cut as a castle.
@malc a female pheasant hissed and charged at you? What were you doing?! Seriously though, I can only imagine its eggs/young were nearby, they're normally totally silent and extremely flighty.

These mushrooms weren't there yesterday. Google Lens says they're probably poisonous and maybe hallucinogenic. I'm not risking them.
We saw these floofy things yesterday. They were extremely chilled out and were following us about everywhere.
DavPaz wrote:

I think it's a red kite.
Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I think it's a red kite.

No, it definitely a bird
But yes, I was hoping a better person than I could identify it. Thanks bud, it was almost certainly a Red Kite. What a treat!
BikNorton wrote:
@malc a female pheasant hissed and charged at you? What were you doing?! Seriously though, I can only imagine its eggs/young were nearby, they're normally totally silent and extremely flighty.

It was in the bushes to the side of the path, I was just walking past. In hindsight I am pretty sure it was on a nest of young/eggs.
I miss having ducks rock up every day to wash in the pond,
eat seed we give them and sleep on our step :(

It's probably about time I try again to convince Helen we should get some actual pet ones instead of hoping the wild ones come up from the stream, but we were already worried about fox and badger attacks and now we have a dog that's unpredictable around birds that size - around the chickens she's "happy happy happy humans not looking judo CHOP"
DavPaz wrote:

I've seen a couple near us recently - they seem to like to follow tractors that are making hay, presumably because it exposes rodents or bugs. Beautiful things!
A month or so ago, a Jack Russell in the bluebells.
BikNorton wrote:
I miss having ducks rock up every day to wash in the pond,
eat seed we give them and sleep on our step :(

It's probably about time I try again to convince Helen we should get some actual pet ones instead of hoping the wild ones come up from the stream, but we were already worried about fox and badger attacks and now we have a dog that's unpredictable around birds that size - around the chickens she's "happy happy happy humans not looking judo CHOP"

I’d love a couple of pet ducks above any kind of pet, but even if we had the space for them, the fox and badgers here would prevent the possibility, especially as we have no fences between us and our neighbours.
A few from our walk yesterday
Mimi wrote:
We saw these floofy things yesterday. They were extremely chilled out and were following us about everywhere.

They’re Ducks, Mimi.
Leasowe beach being muggy as anything.
An abandoned camp site in the woods. The only sign of its previous inhabitants was a manky picnic rug and a jar of hot chocolate. Proper old-school horror.
The Dark Hedges.
Attachment:
IMG_20210630_140757.jpg

View from Tardree Forest Park.
Attachment:
IMG_20210701_164632.jpg

The Giant's Causeway. I got there the free, scenic, more effortful way, parking at Dunseverick castle and walking 4+ miles along the coast, which is gorgeous.
Attachment:
IMG_20210630_112913.jpg
Attachment:
PXL_20210702_113625461.jpg

Seeing small rodents might not be peculiar to the country, but I saw three of these in the space of about 5 meters. Not sure if a field mouse or vole. They were tiny ( about the size of the tip of my thumb - from the knuckle to the end of the nail). And this one let me get about 50cm away from it.
DavPaz wrote:

The tail makes me think Kite (there is a Red Kite that often flies around the leisure center opposite us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kite
Aye, believe Warhead thought the same above
Some ponies, some standing stones and the remains of a stone round house.
Attachment:
PXL_20210705_101828833.jpg

Attachment:
PXL_20210705_101955134.jpg

Attachment:
PXL_20210705_105919957.jpg
Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I think it's a red kite.

Yes, the giveaway is the concave shape to the tail feathers.
Buzzards are a similar size and have a similar spread of feathers in their wings, but have a convex shape to their tails
Rock-borne aphorismed out on the Glentrool Kindness Trail (SW Scotland), with a lot of "looking fine!", "It's all going to be alright" and so on. There were some arty ones, too.

Attachment:
IMG_20210704_095111.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20210704_095923.jpg
I’m in Sheffield at the mo, and discovered this is in walking distance of the hotel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-47323045
Oh, that’s a very touching story and memorial.
Mimi wrote:
Oh, that’s a very touching story and memorial.

Yes it is. It feels more personal and impactful than most.
I’d seen all the coverage on tv a couple of years ago, but hadn’t realised how near we were till we were walking through the park.
You might see this in the city but...

I'm not a photographer, I can't stress that enough but how do you tell when someone has a new lens? Because they post a picture of the moon of course!
It’s beautiful!
Attachment:
PXL_20210717_085645424.jpg

My daughter and me in my new favourite place on Dartmoor.
You look well Malc!
Thanks,

Not sure if you mean I look healthy or if you were using Malc as an adjective!

The lack of a comma suggests the latter, but either way I'll take it!
One of the local bridges.
I went walking in a field at the weekend and I saw pink sheep
Did you catch Swampy?
Bits of - the wine tent was close enough to hear
You want to cut down on your port life mate, get some exercise.
Fucking hell, are mullets really back? I remember the mid-2000s revival, which was inexcusably shit, obviously.
Mullets are always back.
If I'd been around, I'd have gone to Latitude. Love those sheep (and the comedy, and the music, and the talky bits).
Attachment:
PXL_20210821_130004776.jpg

Sheep that have bathed in the blood of their enemies
Malc wrote:
Attachment:
PXL_20210821_130004776.jpg

Sheep that have bathed in the blood of their enemies

These gender reveal parties are getting out of hand.
Saw a big tent
I hope you’re walking around a zoo…
Cotswold wildlife park
If my red/pink sheep area result of a gender reveal party, then either they really went to town or there are dozens of baby girls around Dartmoor!
Attachment:
PXL_20210822_095517169.jpg

It made me think of the Red Hand Gang Red Lamb Gang

The best pub sign in the history of all things.
Metaphors made real, part 73.
Page 1 of 3 [ 123 posts ]