Amiga Mini
It's a thing!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... os-engine/

Quote:
The makers of the C64 Mini have announced plans for a new mini console based on the Commodore Amiga 500, the A500 Mini.

The A500 Mini will be released in early 2022 and will cost $139.99 / €129.99 / £119.99, creator Retro Games Ltd announced on Tuesday. In the UK, it’s available to pre-order now at Game.

The retro console will include 25 classic Amiga games built-in, including Worms, The Chaos Engine, Another World and Simon the Sorcerer.

Players will also be able to insert a USB stick with their own Amiga ROMs and play those too, with full WHDLoad support (which lets players install Amiga games to a hard disk).

The A500 (also known as the Amiga 500) was originally released in 1987 by Commodore. Due to its then-advanced graphics and sound capabilities, the A500 became a popular gaming machine and went on to become the best-selling Amiga computer overall.

The A500 Mini is set to come with an Amiga-style two-button mouse and a gamepad that appears to be inspired by the Amiga CD32 controller.

Although the keyboard itself isn’t functional because the system is so small, players can plug in a standard PC keyboard and use that for games that require it.

Despite its form factor being inspired by the Amiga A500, the system emulates not only the A500’s OCS chip set, but also the enhanced ECS chip set of the A500+ and the Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA) of the A1200, meaning even ROMs of A1200-only enhanced games should work on it.

Only 12 of the 25 games have been confirmed so far. These are:

Alien Breed 3D
Another World
ATR: All Terrain Racing
Battle Chess
Cadaver
Kick Off 2
Pinball Dreams
Simon the Sorcerer
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
The Chaos Engine
Worms: The Director’s Cut
Zool
Other features include a save game function, selectable 50Hz or 60Hz screen refresh, CRT filter and multiple scaling options.

The system is being developed by Retro Games Ltd, who previously released the C64 Mini and a subsequent larger revision with a full-sized working keyboard.
A500 Mini? Isn't that just the A600?
I remember being annoyed at my friend's A600 because you needed the number keypad for a particular cheat. Stupid shrunken thing
That's a pretty sexy speedball 2 machine
Might not look so sexy with a usb keyboard attached
What size floppy does it take?
Alien Breed 3D? Take my money.
Also, fucking Zool… (which BTW is getting a remastered version on PC soon)
I've pre ordered. A few games there that I'd enjoy playing with the kids.
There's apparently some drama centred around the people that made the C64 Mini (and obviously are making this too) - I don't know what it's all about, anyone got the skinny?
Simon the Sorcerer is a weird choice. I wonder if it's the talkie version
I replayed Another World recent(ish)ly and the controls made me very cross.

Chaos Engine, though? Bosh.
No Sensible Games :(
GazChap wrote:
There's apparently some drama centred around the people that made the C64 Mini (and obviously are making this too) - I don't know what it's all about, anyone got the skinny?

According to a EuroGamer comment:
Quote:
You're probably thinking of Retro COMPUTERS Limited not Retro GAMES Limited - although there was a link. RCL was a conman called David Levy who scammed Indiegogo buyers out of a million quid for a portable Spectrum clone. These guys - R*G*L did actually work with Levy until discovering he was intending to scam everyone and bailed, VERY vocally. Sadly enough people didn't heed their warnings and the scam went ahead. So as far as history goes, these guys were 100% on the right side. Nothing to worry about here, track record of successful products: THEC64 Mini, the Maxi, the VIC20.
Grim... wrote:
No Sensible Games :(

You can add your own games though from what I've read.
Can you add a second joypad for HOT 2-PLAYER ACTION?
I would have thought so? It's probably got a couple of USB ports on the back if not more. In fact, I wonder if you'll need to unplug the mouse to play 2 player?
it's probably just running UAe.. I've got uae now running on my androidTV, which is very nice for swos

at the sensible soccer.de community , we're interested in the MiSTer , which doesn't fpga for amiga too, since the amiga's are slowly breaking down..
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

According to a EuroGamer comment:
Quote:
You're probably thinking of Retro COMPUTERS Limited not Retro GAMES Limited - although there was a link. RCL was a conman called David Levy who scammed Indiegogo buyers out of a million quid for a portable Spectrum clone. These guys - R*G*L did actually work with Levy until discovering he was intending to scam everyone and bailed, VERY vocally. Sadly enough people didn't heed their warnings and the scam went ahead. So as far as history goes, these guys were 100% on the right side. Nothing to worry about here, track record of successful products: THEC64 Mini, the Maxi, the VIC20.

Or possibly that one of the people behind it is the one who used DMCA claims to take down Octav1ous's youtube channel last year because he claimed IP ownership of the Horace character

https://twitter.com/MrJalco/status/1425407856015204353

Hmm. IIRC wasn't he the guy who registered, or tried to, the A500 copyright?
Yeah, it’s mentioned in that boing boing piece that he registered the trademark “A500”
Is that the same guy that tried to fuck over [fellow forum member with the same real name as me but who isn't me] for t-shirts?
Oh. What a surprising development.

https://twitter.com/JudgeDrokk/status/1 ... 5534143491

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me much at all.
That reminds me... I've bought one of these. It arrived Friday and I came away on holiday on Saturday so I've only had a quick go.

So far though, it's ace!
After posting that 'yes they complied with all legal requirements' on their Twitter and Facebook , and being called out that they still had not it seems they have *now* published the links on github to the source code like they were supposed to.
I pre-ordered then cancelled my pre-order a month or so ago. Didn't like the look of the controller and wanted avoid the wrath of Mrs Fop with another games thingamajig.

Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 with the kids would be fun though.
Those tweets have been deleted. What did they say?
It was a screenshot from a message from the author of the code that loads in WHDload files on the A500 mini saying the following.

- The A500 Mini uses an emulator called Amiberry.
- The author of Amiberry deserves a lot of credit for their work making it possible.
- Retro Games the company haven't yet published the source of A500 Mini Amiberry despite being obligated to.
- But the author of the WHD code believes the author of Amiberry is in contact with RG so maybe it will get sorted out shortly.
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ]