How do I adjust this bike saddle?
I'm trying to raise the height of the saddle on Darwin's bike
It's a btwin discover, and there's the black clip thing that seems to go around the orange post. However, when I tighten it up it seems to always be either too loose, and the weight of him on the saddle pushes it down OR it's so tight that the clip pops up as I tighten the Allen key bolt and it no longer grips around the orange pole.

Any help would be appreciated.
Does it need to be around the orange pole? Can it go around the saddle post to stop it from slipping down?
Have you tried the bolt toward the front,?
It should just be the clamp, and without much, or any, of the clamp above the level of the metal. (Picture shows a torque level, which would help, but ought to be overly technical). Just tight enough to hold it and Darwin's weight. If the clamp's a little high, maybe start with it a bit lower down the stem.

Attachment:
Clamp.png
If it only goes around the saddle post it spins loosely even at the tightest setting.

It seems to flare, so the level I've got it to on that orange post seems to be as far down as the clip can go.

Because of the flaring though, the more I tighten the clip, the higher it seems to push itself upwards.

I guess I just need to find the perfect balance of tightness?
Okay, you don't need it to go down very far, you can tighten it at the top of the orange bit, just adjusting the saddle post.
Your seat post (the black bit) is the wrong size, measure the orange tube and get one that matches that measurement
Has that happened over time then, Wookie? The whole bike was bought as one unit, so the seat (and post, and clip) came with the bike.
Just get something to wrap round the seat post before you clamp it in. A thin strip of rubber would do, or a layer or two of gaffer tape.
Mr Russell wrote:
If it only goes around the saddle post it spins loosely even at the tightest setting.

It seems to flare, so the level I've got it to on that orange post seems to be as far down as the clip can go.

Because of the flaring though, the more I tighten the clip, the higher it seems to push itself upwards.

I guess I just need to find the perfect balance of tightness?

What JBR says, the clamp goes around the tube only, not the post and the tube. Loosen it until you can push it further down onto the tube and then tighten it up.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Just get something to wrap round the seat post before you clamp it in. A thin strip of rubber would do, or a layer or two of gaffer tape.

This will probably work. I suspect the tolerances are just way off between the post and the tube, not that uncommon unfortunately
That clamp has a floating piece in it. I have pointed to it with the green arrow. Sadly, as pointed to with the yellow arrow it seems to be really soft alu, and has rounded.

The clamp has its size on, which should be the OD of the seat tube size, so I would just order another. It should be 28.6 for a 25.4 post. I can't quite make out what it says on there.

Edit. OK could see it in one of the pics. Yeah, it's a 28.6 so will be a 25.4 post (same as a BMX) and so.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALT-BMX-BIK ... SwN2VZP5xI
Oh and inch pounds is very important. He's a small boy right? so you will be doing lots of adjusting for the next ten years.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lif ... prod155414

I bought that on sale for £27 about two years back. I'm a ham fisted twat at the best of times, and I was just off the back of ruining a £60 stem. Then I ruined a £70 carbon seat post (crunch) and decided enough was enough.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]