Washing machine
Is it saveable?
My washing machine just vibrated it’s way into the middle of the floor while making a very loud noise and looking like it was starting to get a wee glowing area on the inside during a cycle. I’ve switched it off, and there’s plastic shavings over the washing and the drum is moving in ways it shouldn’t and has clearly come unseated. Am I correct in thinking my best course of action is just buying a new machine?

If so, has anyone got any recommendations for a combo washer/dryer?
Don't risk it, those fuckers have a tendency to go on fire. No recommendations though, sorry.
We have a Hotpoint Aquarius 7KGWDL756 washer dryer but most of the drying gets done on the plug in airer dryer thing and will continue to be so after reading the above.
sdg wrote:
My washing machine just vibrated it’s way into the middle of the floor while making a very loud noise and looking like it was starting to get a wee glowing area on the inside during a cycle. I’ve switched it off, and there’s plastic shavings over the washing and the drum is moving in ways it shouldn’t and has clearly come unseated. Am I correct in thinking my best course of action is just buying a new machine?

If so, has anyone got any recommendations for a combo washer/dryer?

I'm assuming there isn't as you would already have done so, but is there opportunity to stack a dryer on a washer? The zanussi dryer we got is excellent and cheap.
Don’t buy a combi.
Your issue could be a simple fix and may simply be one of the springs between the drum and massive concrete block inside the machine has broken. It is not uncommon.
Thanks everyone, decided to buy a new one since this one is ten years old. Wow, washing machine technology has come on a bit. Not entirely sure I see the point in having a wifi enabled washing machine :DD

Went for an LG with a 10kg drum and a separate tumble with a similar drum size which is almost double the size of what we have now on both machines. :o
We got a Meaco dehumidifier because (absurdly, given the size of the house) we have no room for a tumble dryer. It's brilliant though, hang washing on the maidens in the downstairs bathroom, whack it on, smash the heating in that room right up for a few hours - dry clothes, with less of the damage tumbling does. It helps we have room-by-room heating control I guess to help offset cost.
sdg wrote:
Not entirely sure I see the point in having a wifi enabled washing machine :DD

It can tell you when it's finished.

Smart ovens are better, as you can turn them on to warm them up without getting off your chair.
Grim... wrote:
sdg wrote:

Smart ovens are better, as you can turn them on to warm them up without getting off your chair.

Ooooh!!!

Guess what is the one appliance we haven't bought yet? :D
Grim... wrote:
sdg wrote:

I can see the benefit in that but if the washing machine isn't going to take the clothes out for me then I don't really care about it telling me it's finished. The one we got plays a happy wee tune when it's done.
We had a wi-fi dishwasher that got disconnected asap because it telling me when it's finished via a push notification is in no way helpful and it kept complaining about salt.
Our new washer and dryer are both fantastic so far. Our washer was ten years old and our dryer was about four years old but it had been a cheap one when we bought it. Both now have 10kg drums, the washer is quiet even when it's going full pelt on the spin, and the dryer has loads of different programs.
krazywookie wrote:
We had a wi-fi dishwasher that got disconnected asap because it telling me when it's finished via a push notification is in no way helpful and it kept complaining about salt.

Did you put salt in
sdg wrote:
...and the dryer has loads of different programs.

Not dry, Damp & Dry?
Zardoz wrote:
sdg wrote:
...and the dryer has loads of different programs.

Not dry, Damp & Dry?

And sopping, for when you want the same effect as forgetting to press start
Ours has a million options too. Iron dry, cupboard dry, hanging dry, yet no matter what option you choose the result is the same... Still a bit damp and needs another 10 minutes.
Ours has on and not on. And the timer is broken
myp wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Did you put salt in

No
krazywookie wrote:
myp wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Did you put salt in

No

Then it’s a feature not a bug
myp wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Did you put salt in

I found the setting to stop mine moaning.
When we were shopping for the new dishwasher, I saw a handheld vacuum cleaner that had smart features. It looks like it can send your phone info like charge level, stats on usage, and some other digital cruft too probably.

I kinda get the concept of increased connectivity for the little robot cleaners, but I'm far less sold on how useful it would be for a little handheld stick cleaner.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
When we were shopping for the new dishwasher, I saw a handheld vacuum cleaner that had smart features. It looks like it can send your phone info like charge level, stats on usage, and some other digital cruft too probably.

I kinda get the concept of increased connectivity for the little robot cleaners, but I'm far less sold on how useful it would be for a little handheld stick cleaner.

My Roomba messages me to tell me when it's finished. It's always so proud of itself. Obviously I gave it a name and stuck googly eyes on it.
Mine is called "Sucky Carl".
DJ Roomba!

We had an off-brand one called Harvey because its product code started RV
Mine is called Wall-E.
I miss my deebot, not really compatible with a townhouse with a gazillion stairs though
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ]