Gears
(of War)(s)
I loved split screen coop in Gears 1 and 2 but I don't remember ever playing more of the series past 2 (possibly when PS4 came out and I switched?).

Can I get opinions from people who've played the latest one? Should I play Gears 5, or play some or all of the back catalogue first?
3 finishes the original trilogy and 4 starts a new series, that follows 3 many years later, which 5 continues, so depends on whether you’re interested in the story.

It’s an immensely pretty but dull series of games after 1, IMO.
Once you've played one Gears of War, you've played them all. They are all very good games but very, very samey.

Apart from the skiff bit in 5. That can go to hell.
Ok,I might either read a synopsis of 4, or play through 4 before 5 and just ignore the earlier ones.
Satsuma wrote:
3 finishes the original trilogy and 4 starts a new series, that follows 3 many years later, which 5 continues, so depends on whether you’re interested in the story.

It’s an immensely pretty but dull series of games after 1, IMO.

Is "pretty" really an adjective that can be used in relation to GoW? I remember it being a profoundly ugly, but visually very impressive game.
I thought 1 looked great at the time. 4 & 5 are both immensely pretty and shook off the old meme of being overly brown with a variety of biomes and colour palettes. 5 in particular looks ace. It’s a real shame it’s so fucking boring.
Satsuma wrote:
I thought 1 looked great at the time. 4 & 5 are both immensely pretty and shook off the old meme of being overly brown with a variety of biomes and colour palettes. 5 in particular looks ace. It’s a real shame it’s so fucking boring.

I haven't played 4 and 5, but a quick google does suggest they're much brighter.

I thought 1 looked incredible at the time. The first roadie run blew my mind, for some reason. But it was a grim as fuck place to be.
I don’t know, it was all broken and bombed out buildings that had their own beauty about them. Marcus’ dad’s house in particular and that section where it’s pissing it down.

5 goes out of its way to look more vibrant. The red sand section is really lovely.
I remember being blown away by the first one and it’s one of my favourite on the couch coop gaming experiences ever.
I played one of the Gears of War games on the Xbox 360 but I can't for the life of me remember with any certainty which number it was. I'm going to guess it was #2

I remember it being pretty competent/good at the time but also, clearly, it was not particularly memorable
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]