Call of Duty 17 : Black Ops Cold War
or BLOPS5
No the title is not wrong , and no we dont yet have a thread for this years COD (COD 16) , but looks like COD 17 is having problems and is now going to be worked by Treyarc so any hopes of them doing more with the current COD is probably done.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/05/19/sou ... lack-ops-5

Quote:
Sources: Call of Duty 2020 In Upheaval As Treyarch Takes Over, Plans Black Ops 5
By Jason Schreier on 19 May 2019 at 9:18AM

Next year’s Call of Duty has gone through a major upheaval, as publisher Activision informed developers this week that studios Raven and Sledgehammer, which had until now led the project, will no longer be in charge. Instead, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the companies, Treyarch will lead development on a new Black Ops for 2020.

It’s a significant shift for Activision’s massive first-person shooter franchise, which is one of the most lucrative video game series on the planet. Every year for the past 15 years, Activision has put out a new Call of Duty game, supported by a stable of different developers who rotated duties as required. Since 2012, Activision has followed a three-year cycle for its three lead studios: Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer. The results have looked like this:

2012 - Treyarch - Call of Duty: Black Ops II
2013 - Infinity Ward - Call of Duty: Ghosts
2014 - Sledgehammer - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
2015 - Treyarch - Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2016 - Infinity Ward - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
2017 - Sledgehammer - Call of Duty: WWII
2018 - Treyarch - Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
2019 - Infinity Ward - Unannounced (but at this point it’s basically an open secret that it’s a new Modern Warfare)

For 2020, Activision had originally switched things up, assigning the Minnesota-based support studio Raven to take a leadership role alongside Sledgehammer to make a Call of Duty game set during the Cold War (likely involving Vietnam). As of very recently, that’s changed. Now Treyarch, based in Santa Monica, California, is in charge of leading Call of Duty: Black Ops 5 for 2020.

According to those briefed on the overhaul, Treyarch will take creative leadership on this new Black Ops while Raven and Sledgehammer will serve as support studios for the game, transforming the work they’ve done on their own single-player story mode into a campaign for Black Ops 5, which will also be set during the Cold War. (This may be a welcome return for fans, who criticised the lack of campaign in Black Ops 4.) It will likely be a cross-gen game, to coincide with the launch of the next PlayStation and Xbox, which are also expected in the fall of 2020.

What this means is that rather than getting three years to make their next game after Black Ops 4, Treyarch will have just two. Some at the company say they’re not pleased about that, and are already bracing for brutal overtime hours like they faced last year on Black Ops 4. Others have told Kotaku they’re excited about the change, as they have a solid game plan that isn’t likely to change drastically, unlike their last two projects. (We’ll have more to share about Treyarch and the development of Black Ops 4 in the coming weeks.)

This news comes during a strange time for Activision and Call of Duty. Although Black Ops 4 sold well at first, we’ve heard that it hasn’t had quite the revenue tail that Activision’s bean-counters were hoping to see. Internally, Activision executives have started to talk about embracing free-to-play as a revenue model—once anathema to the publisher—and, three sources say, are looking into offering a free-to-play component for this year’s new Modern Warfare, although the specifics may not be finalised yet. Some within Activision have remained resistant to the idea.

The past year has also been rough for the San Francisco-based Sledgehammer. In February 2018, Kotaku broke the news that Sledgehammer’s co-founders, Michael Condrey and Glen Schofield, had left the studio. Although Activision spun it as a promotion, saying they’d take on “new executive duties,” it was very clearly an ousting, and the two quietly exited shortly afterwards. Earlier this year, Condrey started a new Silicon Valley studio with the publisher 2K, where he’s recruited dozens of Sledgehammer staff. The studio has been hemorrhaging employees over the past few months, much to the dismay of those who remain.

One primary reason behind this Call of Duty upheaval, according to two people familiar with happenings at Activision, is the tension between Sledgehammer and Raven, whose staff are said to have argued frequently during the past year of development on Call of Duty 2020. Two people familiar with the project described it as a mess. Now, both studios will serve as support for Treyarch as the publisher prepares to release Black Ops 5.
Sounds like a bit of a mess tbh. I can’t imagine the conditions for the workers will get any better because of this, or the end product be any better.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a mess tbh. I can’t imagine the conditions for the workers will get any better because of this, or the end product be any better.

Agreed , there is a lot of rumors that this years COD will get its basic map packs and go 'free to play' at some point and focus on the Battle Royal aspects of the game.

Before this all kicked off there were comments that they may have continued to support BLOPS4 with new maps or other updates beyond the season pass but if most of the company now needs to be working on BLOPS5 *now* to get it in a state that its sell able next year that's unlikely
Oh look, for a game that’s released with just 8 multiplayer maps. They’ve had Nuke Town. Again. Again. Again.

And what’s the edition to Warzone? Alcatraz. Again.
Satsuma wrote:
Oh look, for a game that’s released with just 8 multiplayer maps. They’ve had Nuke Town. Again. Again. Again.

Is Verdansk still playable and Alcatraz a mini royale? I've not played for a week or two. I've never played Alcatraz.
Satsuma wrote:

Actually Nuke Town was not on the original maps it was only added a week or so back :-)

And yes the map selection is a bit of an issue - no real stand out ones so far - and despite the fact we're on v6 of so of Nuketown it still has the same crappy spawn problems its always had

I'm interested in what they do with Warzone - right now it still launches MW and closes down BLOPS if you select it from the menu - they are trying to make it look like its all the one thing but really its still messy

They have also said you can use both MW and BLOPS versions of guns but that was not in place yet (as of yesterday)
sdg wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Is Verdansk still playable and Alcatraz a mini royale? I've not played for a week or two. I've never played Alcatraz.

I was going to check as it downloaded various updates yesterday but when i selected Warzone its now got an 77gb download going which is going to be a while :-)
Quote:
Actually Nuke Town was not on the original maps it was only added a week or so back :-)

That’s what I was saying. 8 and then Nuke Town. Again etc.

For those who never played BLOPS4 BR mode Alcatraz was the 2nd smaller map. I played it a fair bit and the various events they had for that map.
Ah i get you

And I think i played the BR mode on BLOPS 4 only 2 or 3 times - i never really 'got' it
Now you can play it all over again to try and get it because, apparently, the devs are creatively bankrupt! Yay!
Another new map today - Pines ? - looks big

And another old one added - Raid - https://callofduty.fandom.com/wiki/Raid

And Nuketown has some twinkly lights
Quote:
And another old one added - Raid - https://callofduty.fandom.com/wiki/Raid

Hilarious.
sdg wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

So after the massive download the answer is yes

Verdansk is still the main map - you can play rebirth mode (mini royal) on Alcatraz and they have now added the BLOPS weapons and stuff into the game rebirth mode has a few collectables and questy type things

And the new battle pass (1000 coins) works on :

MW Multiplayer
MW co-op
MW Warfare (which is also BLOPS Warefare)
BLOPS Multiplayer
BLOPS Zombies
Zombies (and possibly other parts of the game) will be free for a week for all players

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/call-o ... re-3645125

The last time they did this on some platforms they messed up and made it so you could upgrade from the version you had to the full one for a few quid (a fiver on xbox anyway) - worth keeping an eye on it - and if you wanted to try the new zombies map without paying for the game you can give it a go (its the best Zombies map in quite a long time)
New mode coming in Season 2

And another 'free' week from the 25th
Season 3 launches with another free week starting tomorrow

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-a ... ms-3711474

Quote:
With the launch of Season Three, April 23-28, you'll be able to play a selection of multiplayer and Zombie content, including the new Outbreak experience, for free as part of the game's new week of free access.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]