Unashamed scrounging
Afternoon folks.

Some of you may remember from cottage conversations that Donna's son was up for a scholarship in the US to go play rugby. Well, he has had a huge amount of interest and is about a week away from finishing the paperwork to commit to the number 1 rugby university in the States. All very exciting, but now comes the scrounging. The scholarship pays for a lot, but it doesn't pay for everything, and the Covid situation has totally fucked Donna over (self employed estate agent), so she is doing a bit of fundraising to try and make sure she can afford to get him over there.

https://justgiving.com/crowdfunding/jamie-allenby

I know none of you have met Jamie, and only a few have met Donna, so please don't feel obliged. But if you want to chuck in a couple of quid, it would be very much appreciated!
Happy to bung a few quid. Good luck to him - if he can get out there, I'm sure it'll be brilliant.
Cheers dude, and the others who have donated, Jamie is very happy :)
Never knew the US had a rugby scholarship scheme! Bodes well for their future game. Good luck with it all.
They are starting to heavily invest in the game, the universities have lots of kids with the size and speed, but very few with the technical ability needed, so they are bringing in ringers from abroad.

4 year uni degree, hang around in the USA for an extra year, and those imported kids will be eligible to play for the national side...
"18 year old British rugby player moves to a US university" and as sure as skip follows hop this is leading to "knee deep in clunge" with "that accent" and "rugby".

Superb. He won't need the red shirts. Spend the money on soothing balms instead. Crack on.
Sounds worth a few quid to me.

I never entirely undestood rugby, despite being forced to play it at school, but still more than American football, which totally baffles me.
MaliA wrote:
"18 year old British rugby player moves to a US university" and as sure as skip follows hop this is leading to "knee deep in clunge" with "that accent" and "rugby".

Superb. He won't need the red shirts. Spend the money on soothing balms instead. Crack on.

Add to that he is 6'4", blonde, and genuinely a nice guy. I doubt knee deep will come close!
MrC wrote:
Sounds worth a few quid to me.

I never entirely undestood rugby, despite being forced to play it at school, but still more than American football, which totally baffles me.

I played rugby at school until puberty hit, and all I did was grow upwards rather than fill out. Hated every second of being on the pitch :D
I like watching it though.

American football I love the idea of it, I love TV shows and films about it, I start watching a game... and turn it off after 10 minutes due to boredom.
Afternoon, me again.

Not to scrounge though, thanks to everyone who did donate, Donna is very happy and grateful!
One more thing you could do to help though, is post the appeal on your various social media accounts, if you felt so inclined.

https://justgiving.com/crowdfunding/jamie-allenby

Thanks folks, much appreciated.
Thanks to everyone who donated, it really helped.
We shipped the little fella out today, he is currently en-route to a new life in the USA, about 20 miles outside of Atlanta.

Attachment:
IMG-20200907-WA0002.jpg
Excellent stuff!
Go Eagles!
aw brilliant! I hope he has the best time!
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]