Video calling for old folks
rmd
So whats's the easiest video calling thing I could put in my parents home to help with their forthcoming isolation? We're all on Android phones anyway but I was thinking that something just sat there in the living room would be nicer, trying to get my old dear to use an app is like trying to teach a cat to fly a helicopter but I think they could handle "hey google video call, Mark" or whatever. Ideally needs to be pretty much fit and forget and not be asking them loads of questions about updates and shit all the time. Be nice if we could share pics to them too and things like that. Anyone got any experience with these for older folks?
Google home hub max would be good. I only have the home hub, which doesn't have the camera, but it's pretty easy to use and excellent for photos too. Not cheap though.
Just use whatsapp. They know that by now
We got my mother-in-law a Facebook Portal TV for Christmas (I think it was in the Black Friday sale). It's quite nice, if you don't teh evile facebooks in your (parents') home. The camera following you around is pretty good, if your parents have trouble sitting still. It does Facebook and WhatsApp calling.

But, m-i-l still just uses her phone, so maybe that was a waste of money.
I guess this is the same, but with a built-in screen, so you don't have to rely on your tv switching to the right input when you get a call. Essentially a dedicated tablet.
If both people have cameras, can you do it through a ps4?
My 80+ yo parents don't have a PS4, or are you asking for yourself? Anyway thanks folks, I might just try the WhatsApp thing first, although they're probably going to ignore half of what they get told and just catch the fucking thing anyway. Same as the stubborn old gadgies across the road told us they were planning when we went round to pass over our numbers in case they needed us to get them anything.
markg wrote:
My 80+ yo parents don't have a PS4

Problem and solution seem obvious to me.

Seriously though, whatsapp video and voice calling seem to have worked pretty well for us and our parents. If you are calling them, it's pretty much the same at their end as picking up a call, they swipe the green button to answer. Getting them to call out to you maybe tougher but I suppose it depends how likely they are to try
Sir Taxalot wrote:
markg wrote:
My 80+ yo parents don't have a PS4

Problem and solution seem obvious to me.

Seriously though, whatsapp video and voice calling seem to have worked pretty well for us and our parents. If you are calling them, it's pretty much the same at their end as picking up a call, they swipe the green button to answer. Getting them to call out to you maybe tougher but I suppose it depends how likely they are to try

Yeah, I use this with my Dad, he can just about turn a telly on, so you should be good. :)
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]