Podcast RMD
I felt last night's ISHIAC was a little bit laboured. Other than Jack Dee's putdown of Miles Jupp, there was only one standout moment:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
"The Laughing Policeman" to the tune of "Simply the Best"
Kern wrote:

"I'm Sorry Haven't I A Clue"?
Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

This is the accepted initialisation. Samantha was meant to write the press release her self but instead she heads off to the Highland games to admire the contestants in the caber competition, and perhaps have a go at tossing one or two herself
Hooli's Gavin Belson interviewed in spoof podcast.

Not listened to it yet, but have high hopes. He's been on excellent form in the latest series.

In fact, aside from a duff series opener, it's been very strong so far.
Every few years or so I go through a phase of rememerbing how much I love the Marx Brothers and spend several weeks/months rewatching their stuff and reading (or re-reading) as much about their life, times, and work as I can. In the middle of such a relapse now, and have recently discovered the Marx Brothers Council Podcast. Episodes usually concentrate on either a particular aspect of their work or a deep-dive into one of their movies, and are filled discussions of the latest research, debates over the quality of the material, and (sadly) myth-busting of particular bits of lore. They also punctuate segments with archival audio clips from both their films and other appearances. Essential listening for a fan, even if it means I'm going to have to endure The Big Store's "Tenament Symphony" again at some point to really appreciate that film's episode.

NB: fans of Go West or Zeppo might find repeated remarks and recurring in-jokes in the episodes discomfiting.
Dolly Parton’s america is brilliant in so many ways...
Just listened to the first episode of "The Bunker". It's basically "Remainiacs without the Brexit". Amiable stuff from Ros Taylor and a slightly-restrained Ian Dunt, but Andrew Harrison does need to slow down (I had to check I hadn't flicked my Ipod to 1.5x speed!). It's clear they're still trying to find a shape for the pod, so will reserve judgement (ie - adding it to my weekly cycle) for a few episodes whilst it beds down.

Theme tune isn't as catchy as "Demon is a monster", but not as bad as the original "Remainiacs" one.
Rule of three is a great (and small) podcast about comedy - the first episode focuses on the Red Dwarf book "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers", the second the Fraiser episode "Seeing Double" and the third (and final) the pilot of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend".

Really interesting stuff.
Grim... wrote:
Rule of three is a great (and small) podcast about comedy - the first episode focuses on the Red Dwarf book "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers", the second the Fraiser episode "Seeing Double" and the third (and final) the pilot of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend".

Really interesting stuff.

This one?

https://www.ruleofthreepod.com/episodes.html
Oh yeah, somehow I'm only seeing three - #30, #35 and #47.

I'm sure they're all worth a listen :)
Yeah there’s a lot of interesting sounding episodes
I think I recommended the Airplane! episode with Charlie Brooker as a good starting off point. The Jam episode with Sanjeev Kohli is also great.

It's just lovely hearing people who know comedy inside out talk about it.
Awesome. I’m going to give those a listen.
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

This is the accepted initialisation. Samantha was meant to write the press release her self but instead she heads off to the Highland games to admire the contestants in the caber competition, and perhaps have a go at tossing one or two herself

No it isn't. All the right letters, not necessarily in the right order.

It's ISIHAC.

ISIHAC.
I fear you missed the joke.
Grim... wrote:
I fear you missed the joke.

Your podcast delivery service needing fixing is no joke
Findus Fop wrote:
I think I recommended the Airplane! episode with Charlie Brooker as a good starting off point.t.

15 minutes in and fuckers haven’t even started talking about Airplane! for fucks sake.
Satsuma wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
I think I recommended the Airplane! episode with Charlie Brooker as a good starting off point.t.

15 minutes in and fuckers haven’t even started talking about Airplane! for fucks sake.

I have a similar issues with the mayo and kermode film review show, it takes about half an hour for them to actually start talking about films.
This probably wasn’t the best one to start with. I’ve heard fuck all about Airplane! and everything about Touch of Cloth.
Satsuma wrote:
This probably wasn’t the best one to start with. I’ve heard fuck all about Airplane! and everything about Touch of Cloth.

Ha. TBH that's the arc for most of the episodes. Discussion of the comic artefact in question often doesn't happen for 20 minutes or so.
I’m forty minutes in and I’ve got a handful of Airplane! interesting bullet points. I’ve got a feeling that Charlie Brooker was at some point the boss for these two guys and they’re letting him just blather on like a cunt. The interesting stuff isn’t coming from him, I’m just waiting for him to shut the fuck up. It’s about 5-10% related to Airplane!
Yeah I think they've definitely been writers for him.

Perhaps Airplane! wasn't the best starting point!
Airplane! chat actually starts fifty fucking minutes in. And an hour in and he’s still talking about Touch of Cloth.

That does it. It’s going off. I tried.
Somebody doesn't like foreplay :arrow: :bulb: :blown:
"Podcast RMD" appears to have become "Sat reviews a podcast in real-time, decides not to R"
You’re welcome.
Satsuma wrote:
I’m forty minutes in and I’ve got a handful of Airplane! interesting bullet points. I’ve got a feeling that Charlie Brooker was at some point the boss for these two guys and they’re letting him just blather on like a cunt. The interesting stuff isn’t coming from him, I’m just waiting for him to shut the fuck up. It’s about 5-10% related to Airplane!

This is absolute nonsense. It was both interesting and amusing.

I also enjoyed the Dara O'Briain / Definite Article one.

Thanks for the recommendation, Grim....
You owe me a podcast now.
If I can fit it in :S

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200207_140352_com.bambuna.podcastaddict.jpg

[edit] That's since I got a new phone in September
I thought I was bad at 52 hours of pod casts
I listen to them all at ~1.5x speed too, but I don't know how it counts that
Oh, I listened to the Whose Line is Anyway one as well and that was dreadful too. 15 minutes to get to any Whose Line... chat and it quickly digressed to other crap. If you’re looking for insightful chat about the topics on offer then it doesn’t look like you’ll get that, but if you’re interested in the guest then you’ll get lots of them.
Here’s one I actually like:

The Brooklyn Nine Nine podcast!

Funny, insightful and has most of the fave cast. But not Samberg. Fortunately it’s not presented by some annoying cockwobble that loves the sound of their own voice; instead it’s the Captain’s husband, Kevin!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/p ... 0464448255
Does anyone get intimidated by the thought of jumping into a long running podcast with years and years of back episodes? I found a podcast called The Legendarium that appeals to me, but there are literally hundreds of episodes.
DavPaz wrote:
Does anyone get intimidated by the thought of jumping into a long running podcast with years and years of back episodes? I found a podcast called The Legendarium that appeals to me, but there are literally hundreds of episodes.

Get stuck in.
DavPaz wrote:

Depends. If they’re about current events then I just start from the latest episode. If they’re not then I tend to just start from the beginning and plough through.
Mr Chonks wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Depends. If they’re about current events then I just start from the latest episode. If they’re not then I tend to just start from the beginning and plough through.

This. Also, if every episode is on a different topic I'll pick ones that interest me. Might miss out on running gags at first, but you soon pick up on them as you work your way through the archive.
Kern wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

This. Also, if every episode is on a different topic I'll pick ones that interest me. Might miss out on running gags at first, but you soon pick up on them as you work your way through the archive.

This too. Also, also, if it's topical stuff, but not really topical topical, I'll go back a few weeks to start my run. e.g. Mark Kermode film review thingy
I tried starting Athletico Mince from the beginning and was a touch underwhelmed - it really did take them a while to find their groove. But you'd miss loads by only starting with the latest. Episode 30 onwards is about right for Athletico Mince (not that anyone was asking).
Findus Fop wrote:
I tried starting Athletico Mince from the beginning and was a touch underwhelmed - it really did take them a while to find their groove. But you'd miss loads by only starting with the latest. Episode 30 onwards is about right for Athletico Mince (not that anyone was asking).

I did the same, then stopped and started at the latest, so now I have a number to go back to - thanks!
That was a tense trip to Ambridge just now. Quite stunned. And now another agonising wait.

Seriously, couldn't it have been Pip or Tom instead?
Kern wrote:
That was a tense trip to Ambridge just now. Quite stunned. And now another agonising wait.

Seriously, couldn't it have been Pip or Tom instead?

I've still never forgiven them for murdering Nigel, just because they could...if anything happens to Lynda there will be consequences.
Both Freddy and nicest-guy-in-the-village Robert have been giving outstanding performances this week. Made for some pretty tough listening.

Of course they would be outstanding. They're not acting.
It is a documentary.
Eoife Wilson from Eurogamer and another person I've never heard of are doing a podcast on the BBC called "This Game Changed My Life". The format of most of the episodes is odd and a bit annoying, but the episode with Charlie Brooker is as funny and engaging as any conversations with him usually are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088xs1f
Julia Hardy? I think...
I just had to explain to my mother that the BBC have run out of "Archers". Clearly, these are dark times.
Kern wrote:
Every few years or so I go through a phase of rememerbing how much I love the Marx Brothers and spend several weeks/months rewatching their stuff and reading (or re-reading) as much about their life, times, and work as I can. In the middle of such a relapse now, and have recently discovered the Marx Brothers Council Podcast. Episodes usually concentrate on either a particular aspect of their work or a deep-dive into one of their movies, and are filled discussions of the latest research, debates over the quality of the material, and (sadly) myth-busting of particular bits of lore. They also punctuate segments with archival audio clips from both their films and other appearances. Essential listening for a fan, even if it means I'm going to have to endure The Big Store's "Tenament Symphony" again at some point to really appreciate that film's episode.

NB: fans of Go West or Zeppo might find repeated remarks and recurring in-jokes in the episodes discomfiting.

I've just finished their two hour lockdown special on Zeppo. Everything you need to know about all his appearances on screen, all properly appraised and evaluated! Can he sing? Can he act? Is he actually funny? Truly, this is the critical biography the world needs right now.
Grim... wrote:
If I can fit it in :S

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200207_140352_com.bambuna.podcastaddict.jpg

[edit] That's since I got a new phone in September

Not commuting to work has ruined my podcast listening.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200710-001716_Podcast Addict.jpg
Having the kids off school has ruined mine.

So is working from home going to be a permanent thing Grim..?
Page 11 of 14 [ 666 posts ]