RPGs at the cottage
New thread for this.

Old post contents wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also: I am quite likely going to run an RPG one-shot this year. Not sure what yet, possibly The Sprawl.

I've just printed up some character sheets and quick reference sheets, so I guess this is probably happening! And I have a few hours on the train up to write the scenario.

Depending on who wants in, I might run a couple of sessions with smaller groups, rather than one huge session with too many people.

People who have expressed interest (7):
Myp
Curio
Jazzy
Jacket
Cras
Zeppo
Trooper + Donna

The game:
To quote the book:

Quote:
The Sprawl is a game of cyberpunk stories for 3-5 players. Most of you will play the roles of hardbitten but desperate cyberpunk professionals and one of you will be the Master of Ceremonies (MC for short). Playing the game is a conversation among the people at the table and the MC is the facilitator. Through this shared conversation you will create a fictional world filled with action, intrigue, and cybertechnology and coloured with neon, chrome, and excess. Your conversations will populate that fictional world with interesting characters and tense situations. The rules in this book will help you have this conversation. From time to time, the story will reach a point where a random element is desired. The dice add tension and a random element which changes the fictional state of the world and those changes spark the conversation anew. When there’s doubt about whose turn it is to speak, or what to talk about, the MC is the one who decides. Oh, and the MC? They control everything else. Your contacts, the corporations, the hit squads the corporations send to mess up your contacts, your other enemies, the team of pros who come to shoot up your team, and the blind cyber-assassin who loops the monofilament wire around your neck while you’re waiting in line for your vat-meat burger. The MC has their own set of rules, which will be described in the later chapters.

It's Cyberpunk, so:

* think: Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell, the Matrix
* think: near-future dystopia
* think: the world is owned by the megacorps
* think: the street finds its own uses for things
* think: high tech / low life
* think: luxurious excess for some, grinding poverty for most
* think: marginalised, alienated loners living on the edge of society, in a dystopic future, where daily life is characterised by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body

The book:
https://thetrove.net/Books/Powered%20by ... 20v1.1.pdf
No-one has to commit to reading any of this. But if you get chance, the game will run smoother if a few people have at least read the game concepts chapter (pages 2-21).
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also: I am quite likely going to run an RPG one-shot this year. Not sure what yet, possibly The Sprawl.

I've just printed up some character sheets and quick reference sheets, so I guess this is probably happening! And I have a few hours on the train up to write the scenario.

Depending on who wants in, I might run a couple of sessions with smaller groups, rather than one huge session with too many people.

If you're thinking of doing any on the Saturday I'd like in.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

If you're thinking of doing any on the Saturday I'd like in.

I'm up for this and I'm assuming Donna will be too.

What time are the first folks arriving tomorrow? I've got the day off and everything, so will probably bimble up lunchtime-ish.
(post contents moved to first post in thread)
Are you going to pregen characters?
Grim... wrote:

Nope, I'm going to use faster chargen and legwork options taken from a mission designed for convention play.
As a complete RPG newb, I'm curious to see how it all works (and will be watching with interest)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nope, I'm going to use faster chargen and legwork options taken from a mission designed for convention play.

How long does it take?
MaliA wrote:
How long does it take?
Depends on how faffy the players are. If the GM is ruthless, the whole thing can fit inside two hours. I suspect it'll be a bit longer for us, if only because it doesn't have to be quite that fast and I'd rather let the game have a little bit of room to breathe.
GazChap wrote:
As a complete RPG newb, I'm curious to see how it all works (and will be watching with interest)

Note I plan on running the same mission several times over, so if you spectate, you can't really play in a later session.
GazChap wrote:
Also: the system I'm using for this is extremely narrative focussed and rules-light. It doesn't bear much resemblance to, say, D&D.
Request / mod suggestion: thread split of RPG stuff to a new thread?
(post contents moved to first post in thread)
Someone's fucked the splitting up :D
Piss off! Done exactly right! :D
Cras wrote:
Piss off! Done exactly right! :D

... eventually ;)
I’m a complete RPG noob too, but it sounds fun. Although most cyberpunk tropes are a bit too close to the bone these days.
https://twitter.com/moochava/status/354986725388468224

Mr Chonks wrote:
I’m a complete RPG noob too, but it sounds fun. Although most cyberpunk tropes are a bit too close to the bone these days.

It’s worth noting that The Sprawl - like all the cyberpunk RPGs I’ve played - is quite flexible in tone. It can be stereotypically gritty and dark, or tongue-in-cheek. It can feature characters with a focus on planning and professionalism (which often ends up playing like a heist movie) or seat-of-your pants improvisation and over-the-top weaponry. The former is sometimes called “black trenchcoat” and the latter “pink mohawk” (as it leans rather harder into the “punk” part.)
My prediction... Doccy G tries to put us down the planning and professional route, we ignore him and shoot the first person we see.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It can be stereotypically gritty and dark, or tongue-in-cheek. It can feature characters with a focus on planning and professionalism

Damn right it can

LEEEEEROOOOY!
Trooper wrote:
My prediction... Doccy G tries to put us down the planning and professional route, we ignore him and shoot the first person we see.

Nah, he's very good at dealing with clownshoes for players.
Trooper wrote:

That was the person trying to hire you. You have no job to do now.

Session over, next group please.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That was the person trying to hire you. You have no job to do now.

Session over, next group please.

<next group arrives, with Grim... in the vanguard>

"Do we even need to start, or shall I just call it now?"
STAND BY FOR ME TO FUCK THIS UP
Now stay on topic or Doccy G IMs me and I have work to do and shit and Craster's room for tonight isn't even sort of ready and NOW SOME SHIT HAS MESSED SOMETHING UP ON THE SERVER FUCK
“Craster’s room” aka the other side of your bed
The other side's no fun
Interested n00b
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ]