Wordpress question
image align
Any idea why images won't align centre when they have a caption?
I have another question (sadly not an answer, excited Nirejhenge):

Having just moved my blog from Blogger to Wordpress, is there any way I can quickly change every link (when I link to a Blogger tag, really) to the relevant Wordpress label?

In fact, as I have my .com, I'll be pointing it there anyway, so would only need to change 'tag' to 'label' in the links. Or am I fucked?
If you run it through the Wordpress importer will it not do that for you?
It's imported all the posts and comments. Are links another one? Is it smart enough to do that?

[edit] It can convert categories to tags. Might just do that.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Any idea why images won't align centre when they have a caption?

Hmm mine are OK So I'm guessing its something to do with your templates style sheet, my caption bit in style.css looks like:

Code:
/* Captions */
.aligncenter,
div.aligncenter {
   display: block;
   margin-left: auto;
   margin-right: auto;
   max-width: 100%; /* How much width does the whole caption take up? */
   height: auto;
}

.wp-caption {
   border: 1px solid #ddd;
   text-align: center;
   background-color: #f3f3f3;
   padding-top: 4px;
   margin: 10px;
   -moz-border-radius: 3px;
   -khtml-border-radius: 3px;
   -webkit-border-radius: 3px;
   border-radius: 3px;
}

.wp-caption img {
   margin: 0;
   padding: 0;
   border: 0 none;
   max-width: 98%; /* How much width does the image take up, 100% == no border */
   height: auto;
}

.wp-caption p.wp-caption-text {
   font-size: 11px;
   line-height: 17px;
   padding: 0 4px 5px;
   margin: 0;
}
/* End captions */

I'm no CSS or Wordpress guru though so might be barking up the wrong tree.
Hi folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with a question (perhaps @Jem ?)

Problem: I write about knitting patterns/projects, and I always give the same information at the end of each post. Or I try to. Sometimes I forget a bit, or give it in the wrong order. I'd love to be a bit more consistent, and though I could edit an old post to try and get the same formar the truth is I never do and when I do try I'll inevitably forget one day and then format it all differently, then copy that different one for the next six until I forget and it changes again.

So, what I'd like is a sort of little form I could fill in on the back end of wordpress with the fields I need so that it would output the formatting and fields the same way each time and I could insert it with a short code or whatever.

I'm sure there must be plugins for this, but I don't know what to search for in the plugins database. Any ideas what it might be called?
You're looking for a template, aren't you?
Mimi wrote:
I'm sure there must be plugins for this, but I don't know what to search for in the plugins database. Any ideas what it might be called?

You might find Shortcoder useful. I use it a lot on ConsoleMAD - it just enables me to create snippets of content and then I just drop them in with a shortcode into my product pages. It also adds a button to the editor so that you can just pick from a list of your snippets and quickly insert it.
Grim... wrote:
You're looking for a template, aren't you?

Am I? Maybe, I honestly don’t know the best way to do it.

I’ve made templates before when I’ve wanted to make pages that display content in a specific way (such as the header image and three lines of text for all of the posts of crafts I’ve made with Darwin, for example) but I’ve never used them with posts. All the content that goes before what I’m going to call the ‘post footer’ would be different in format, but if I can make a post template where I can use the area above the footer however I wish and format some dummy text to enter for the footer that would work.

I’ll have a look tonight! Ta Grim... x

Ooh, and Devilman! That also sounds brilliant. I’ll check that out this evening (apologies, you were posting at the same time as me do I almost missed your message x)
Russell tells me I’ve already set up some kind of shortcode snippet formatted for exactly this use. I have no idea where it is but I’ll look tonight.
Mimi, the way I'd do this is to use the built in WordPress 'Custom Fields', which allows you to set fields on a per-post basis. You can then fill them in one the relevant posts and automatically display those fields on a post in the single post template. This method would require a tiny bit of coding but am happy to help if you find your shortcode thingymabob doesn't do what you need.
Jem wrote:
Mimi, the way I'd do this is to use the built in WordPress 'Custom Fields', which allows you to set fields on a per-post basis. You can then fill them in one the relevant posts and automatically display those fields on a post in the single post template. This method would require a tiny bit of coding but am happy to help if you find your shortcode thingymabob doesn't do what you need.

Thank you, Jem! I don’t have a shortcode thingamajig as far as I can see. I may once have done, maybe on my old site. Or maybe Russell is thinking of something else, perhaps the custom fields. I know I did set up custom fields on my old website, years and years ago, but if I had them for this one they’ve disappeared.

I couldn’t find anything to do with this when I looked today so it either means I have deleted something, or Russell is speaking g about a previous incarnation of my site, or I’m just not seeing it.

So, I know I’ve done this in the past, so I’ll have a look to setting it up again with Russell’s help tonight and hopefully we’ll get that done with custom fields. If we get stuck with anything I’ll see if you have any advice, but I’m hopeful as if I know I managed it some ten or so years ago. Thank you! x
It may be that WordPress is hiding the custom fields input from you (which it does by default IIRC). On the Edit Post page, click the Screen Options tab top right, make sure that Custom Fields is ticked. This will at least show you the interface for adding them and then you can figure out if you need to add anything to your template or whatever. Good luck :D
No, I have it there, I just don’t have any previously set up custom fields in it. If there ever were any I seem to have deleted them :D
Hello!

A quick question which somebody may know the answer to.

In most (print) publishing software, when you set your column layout you can set it up so that your content can move continually from one column to the next, by which I mean if I set three columns and then write my text it will automatically flow from column 1, to column 2, to column 3, according to the height of the column block that I have set. Adjusting the column height after writing that piece allows me to have all columns ending at the same point on the page, moving the text in a way that is responsive to the height of the three columns.

So, is there a way of doing that in the Gutenberg blocks editor. I can set my column block up, and I can make it responsive to different devices (stacking them if being read on mobile, for example), but I can't write a continuous piece and have it balance automatically in my selected columns.

I'm sorry for not using the correct terms for what I am trying to say. I did Google, but I can't find anything (possibly because I don't know those same correct terms to begin with).
Not natively, that I'm aware of, because it'd be more of a display thing and the editor really handles the structure.

So e.g. you can replicate what you're trying to do in the frontend using the CSS column- stuff, e.g. if you had
Code:
<div class="columns"> your text </div>

and the CSS:
Code:
.columns {
   column-count: 3;
   column-gap: 2em;
}

that'd do roughly what you want, but you'd have to enter it into a gutenberg block in one column.

Hope that makes sense...
Edited: Added code blocks
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I’m surprised it’s not a built in formatting capability in the blocks, TBH, because it seems an obvious choice for column layouts.

I have two columns at present, with categories for recipes (I’m moving my little cookbook online, just for myself as I find it easier to refer/find things if I can just bring them up on my phone. The page isn’t publicly linked to from the front of the site, and though I’m sure anyone could find it if they went digging around for it, I doubt anyone is going to, but for the sake of my own sanity I want the columns to balance out when I add a new recipe category.

Also, because in mobile view the responsive design splits it, like so:
Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]