Roof Racks! That's right, you heard me!
EXCITING MOTORING THREAD!!
Hold on to your hats folks because we're gonna talk about roof racks!

All the ladies love a sensible family car with lots of boot space, but what if that boot space just isn't enough for a rapidly expanding family's latest camping escapades? WHAT THEN?

Do you drag your bags behind the car? Strap the CHILDREN to the BONNET? TELL THE WIFE THAT CAMPING IS RUBBISH AND WE SHOULD JUST GO ON A PROPER HOLIDAY???

No.

Fuck no.

You buy a roof rack.

Or, I do.

Or, more accurately, *WE* do.

--------------------------------------------------------------

What are the pitfalls here? Is the Halfords one ok? Is there a PREMIUM roof rack brand I should be looking for? I just don't know. Help me Obi Wan Beex, you're my only hope first port of call.
you don't buy a roof rack you fool you buy a camper van
GazChap wrote:
you don't buy a roof rack you fool you buy a camper van

Assume I've donr that and I now need a roof rack for the camper van ;)
I have roof bars for both my Leon (official Seat ones!) and for MrsZs RAV4 for our Halfords(?) roof box.

Brilliant for camping trips!
What's your current car, DavPaz? Does it have proper mounting points? I don't rate the the bars that grip on where the top door seals are.
Zardoz wrote:
What's your current car, DavPaz? Does it have proper mounting points? I don't rate the the bars that grip on where the top door seals are.

It's a 57 plate c-max. I believe it has proper mount points
Go to Halfords, ask them to spec up a Thule kit, suck your teeth and say it’s expensive, then buy all the same parts from amazon.

Feedback I had when I was looking this time last year was that with all the will on the world, there’s a high probability you’ll pick the wrong shoes, or find fitting the shoes difficult and paranoid you did the wrong thing.
Cool. Get a look on eBay for an official ford pair.
Rent a van for the weekend
I've been researching this recently for carrying bikes around. Other forums all seem to recommend https://www.roofbox.co.uk/ , lots of info and car to roof bars selection tools on there.
Don't forget to tell your insurer, it's a strong possibility the roof box and contents won't be covered unless you tell them.
I just bought roof bars off eBay this very minute.

My car has to get specific ones as it is a weirdo.
I second Thule for feet and bars. Buy a generic granny coffin for the roof though
Bluecup wrote:
I've been researching this recently for carrying bikes around. Other forums all seem to recommend https://www.roofbox.co.uk/ , lots of info and car to roof bars selection tools on there.

Another vote for this place. They have some really well engineered ones that are cheaper than Thule.
I got mine from roofbox.co.uk

Was a lot cheaper than Halfords
Got that and polyprop rope.
And a tax disc!
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Go to Halfords, ask them to spec up a Thule kit, suck your teeth and say it’s expensive, then buy all the same parts from amazon.

Feedback I had when I was looking this time last year was that with all the will on the world, there’s a high probability you’ll pick the wrong shoes, or find fitting the shoes difficult and paranoid you did the wrong thing.

I sell Thule, just fill in the form on their website and buy the part codes it gives you.
Do use Thule it's better than the other stuff.
But but... my roof bars have Seat logos on them.
krazywookie wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

I sell Thule, just fill in the form on their website and buy the part codes it gives you.

Said like a true salesman
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's a 57 plate c-max. I believe it has proper mount points

Huh, snap.
We just traded our little spark in for one.

Completely unrelatedly this afternoon I was knocking down a section of wall to widen the entrance to the drive way.
Mr Chonks wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Said like a true salesman

He's not buying it from me!
They do roof bars for mountain bikes?
The Thule ones fit both.
Robert Baratheon might not survive till the end
Zardoz wrote:
Does it have proper mounting points? I don't rate the the bars that grip on where the top door seals are.

How shitty are these? Coz they're all my car will take.
Doc. They are great. I have had them on my last 2 Golfs and had no issue.

The Thule ones feet are designed for each car and tighten really well.

The pic I posted is of those
DavPaz wrote:
TELL THE WIFE THAT CAMPING IS RUBBISH AND WE SHOULD JUST GO ON A PROPER HOLIDAY???

You should do this. It's the correct answer.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Does it have proper mounting points? I don't rate the the bars that grip on where the top door seals are.

The Thule ones tighten into to place so securely I reckon the roof would come off your car before the foot would move.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Ones I've had damaged paint on one of our older cars, and the way they tightened on had me paranoid all the way to the lakes and back. Cheap brand though, not Thule or anything.
I bought a bike rack once that when tightened actually put dents in the car. I wasn’t best pleased.
Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Ones I've had damaged paint on one of our older cars, and the way they tightened on had me paranoid all the way to the lakes and back. Cheap brand though, not Thule or anything.

You could always stick some masking tape on the contact patch
No need, I have proper ones now :)
By an old transit minibus and take out a row of seats. Probably cheaper if you ignore insurance, tax, fuel, maintenance and the cost of the bus.
I've stumped up for some Summit branded bars. Made by Mountney, apparently. They're pretty cheap, but review well. Wish me luck
Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I bought Thule ones in the end. They feel like they're welded on.
BikNorton wrote:
By an old transit minibus and take out a row of seats. Probably cheaper if you ignore insurance, tax, fuel, maintenance and the cost of the bus.

I might have one for sale if anyone did want one!
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?

THAT'S RIGHT! We've got some closure here people!

WHO WANTS TO SEE A PICTURE OF... A CAR... WITH SOME MOTHER-FUCKING ROOF BARS ON IT?

THAT'S RIGHT! EVERYBODY!

HOLD... ON.. TO... YOUR... HATS...

Attachment:
IMG_20190627_134029.jpg

Phew. I'm spent
People scrubbing their numberplate out online has always bemused me. What do you think might happen?
Grim... wrote:
People scrubbing their numberplate out online has always bemused me. What do you think might happen?

You could check my MOT status, you filthy spy
I hope you budgeted for your decrease in MPG.
Trooper wrote:
I hope you budgeted for your decrease in MPG.

Giphy "absolutely not":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/X3fZXZoHhY2vC/giphy-loop.mp4
Grim... wrote:

They could copy your plate, put it on a similar model and do crimes. Other than that, I’m at a loss :shrug:
Grim... wrote:

"Hello, is that the Police?... yeah I saw this dude right, he was following lots of Famous People round That London and being weird... yeah description erm... like the head bouncer from Phoenix Nights but with a funky T-shirt... he sped off in a Ford Puma <reg number!> Good luck! ...oh yeah he was armed and really mad. Bye... Bye bye"
I'm reminded of the time Clarkson brazenly posted his bank account number openly and claimed that people couldn't do any harm with it.

More than likely nothing can come of posting my Reg openly, but why take the risk, hmm?
DavPaz wrote:
More than likely nothing can come of posting my Reg openly, but why take the risk, hmm?

Do you put a cover over the plates when you're not driving the car? ;)
GazChap wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Do you put a cover over the plates when you're not driving the car? ;)

I have a curtain
DavPaz wrote:
I'm reminded of the time Clarkson brazenly posted his bank account number openly and claimed that people couldn't do any harm with it.

I mean, no-one did.
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I mean, no-one did.

Someone set up a direct debit to Greenpeace, didn't they?
Page 1 of 2 [ 51 posts ]