Resident Evil 2
The demo is out now!

Personally I think this is going to be some Resi 4 type of fucking awesome.

Play it, play it now.
I will play this.
FYI: You only get one go at it and then its over for ever but if you manage to complete it then you get an exclusive trailer which, by now, is already on the internet.
Yeah I'd heard it being a one shot thing.

Did you 'do' 'it'?
Pancake only. Sad.
Zardoz wrote:
Yeah I'd heard it being a one shot thing.

Did you 'do' 'it'?

To be honest, I crash quit my run because it was that good I wanted to play it at night with the lights out when I was really in the mood.
I did my one-shot last night and didn’t manage to finish the demo but I didn’t mind cause I was just bloody loving it. It looks great, it sounds great and it was just tons of fun. It has a great atmosphere without resorting to the body horror of Resi 7. It just felt right. I couldn’t get on with the OG Resi 1 reREmake (it’s basically the original but pretty with some quality of life stuff and modernised controls) but I’m absolutely on board with this (it felt like a brand new game). If I didn’t have a backlog of games to play this would be a Day1 purchase from me but I might bump some of the stuff I was going to seek out just to play this.
Good to hear. Didn't get round to playing it over the weekend so I'll have a go one night this week.
I've seen a few videos of this on my Xbox dashboard and it looks absolutely brilliant. I'll get it one day.
Stayed alive but ran out of time! Good demo left me wanting to play on, nothing really new though (obv). And after RE7 it’s going to be a bargain bin buy at best.
Apparently you can run the demo as many times as you like by just creating new local accounts on the console.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... time-limit
Hearthly wrote:
Apparently you can run the demo as many times as you like by just creating new local accounts on the console.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... time-limit
I did wonder how they'd implemented that. I couldn't see any good ways to do it; guess they couldn't either...
Reviews are coming in and it’s 9’s and 10’s across the board!
I'm looking to get it, but £40 is too rich for my blood.
It’s less of a remake and more a brand new game though. It looks awesome.
This is out today and gets a new mode to download. Or is it a mode that coming out? I dunno. Anyway, here’s the new mode. I’ve been avoiding everything to do with the game cause I’m super-excited to play the full thing and don’t want any spoilers but I don’t mind watching this cause it’s just a dude shooting stuff but it looks amazing.

The internet is saying GOTY contender already.

Digital Foundry comparison video is out.

XBox One and PS4 - Pretty ropy, target 60FPS but very rarely get there, regular drops into the 50s, 40s and 30s that cause noticeable judder and affect gameplay.

XB1X and PS4 Pro - Both do a much better job of hitting 60FPS, XB1X almost bombproof 60FPS, PS4 Pro exhibits drops into the high and mid 50s quite regularly.

Gameplay is compromised on the base consoles, not the ideal way to experience the game. Their feeling is that Capcom targeted the upgraded consoles and the base consoles just sort of got what was left.

I might give this game a go, it's a toss up between the XB1X and PC version I think. I'd rather play it with K+M but I do like sitting on the couch and playing games on the big telly with 5:1 sound.

I have bought this but went for the PC version in the end. By all accounts the XB1X version is really good and in many ways I'd rather play it on that platform for COUCH and BIG TELLY and 5:1 sound, but the draw of K+M controls was more than I could resist.

Also, Capcom have done a great job with the PC version going from the Steam user reviews, so I'm hoping to be able to play it at native 4K with some Freesync shenanigans.

It's like, I managed to play through THE LAST OF US but I was never what you'd call comfortable with the controls, I'm just a bit shit on a pad really.
FPS: KBAM preferred.
3rd-person over the shoulder view: controller. Obviously.
Lonewolves wrote:

That doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes it does. It makes perfect sense.
Well I'm glad that's settled.
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes it does. It makes perfect sense.

Not overly.

Depends whether accurate aiming or more fidelity in movement direction as relative to the camera are more telling concerns for gameplay. Perspective doesn't really play into this, but a third person view certainly makes 8 way movement more noticeable than it does for first person.

also: whether you're cackhanded with one particular control method.
Pfft.

4K is off the table, I could get it to 60FPs with some fairly ruthless shiny reduction but decided 1440p all maxed out was a better option. (Which TBH is a fair result, the 1080 isn't really a 4K card.)

Unfortunately I didn't get far into the game before Mrs Hearthly and Jnr got home so I'll actually get to play it properly later on. There is something to be said for the console model of just firing up the game and getting the 'pre-optimised' settings for the game right out of the box, I don't much enjoy or have the patience for tweaking PC settings these days, and see it more as a price to pay for the best graphical fidelity experience and moreover, in this case, K+M controls.

Anyway, it looked lovely and I'm looking forward to shitting myself up with it later on, or I might play Wargroove, I haven't decided yet.
Fuck me this game is terrifying, I'm not sure being sat close to a 32 inch screen with the volume turned up loud in a dark room is an entirely good idea.

I've come downstairs to grab another beer.

The Resi series as a whole hasn't really been a favourite of mine, I played the original on PS1 back in the day, and I had it on PC at some point, and I got a special edition red 360 with one of the games in the series but never got much past the opening due to my bumbling incompetence with a pad in games like this.

Anyway, beer acquired, back upstairs for killing motherfucking zombies.
Hearthly wrote:
(Which TBH is a fair result, the 1080 isn't really a 4K card.)

The clue is in the name.
Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
(Which TBH is a fair result, the 1080 isn't really a 4K card.)

The clue is in the name.

But then it'd be called a 1440 by that logic.
I played more of this last night. It's atmospheric as fuck and keeps making me jump, the zombies are right arseholes and have a habit of getting back up. The inventory system is annoying, only being able to carry eight things, although I get that it's a deliberate mechanic designed to force you to make choices with regards to what to use, what to take with you, and what to store in the item stashes that are dotted around the place.

The checkpointing can be a bit mean and only being able to save at typewriters feels clonky. (And yes, I know that's a Resi thing.)

I'm glad I got it on PC because I know for a fact I'd be woeful at trying to play this game with a pad, especially since you really don't want to be wasting ammo or hitting anything other than headshots.

It's super-gory and not in a splattery cartoonish sort of way, it's got more of a genuinely nasty horror feel to it, which is very effective in ratcheting up the tension.

So up to now, it's a definite thumbs up from me.
I was really enjoying this game and then my character got incapacitated and it made me play as a girl with no weapons to speak of and a stupid gizmo box she can point at things to hack them.

I carried on for a bit and then it put me into a sort of gauntlet thing whilst being chased by Mr X, as the girl with no weapons, which annoyed me.

Lost the motivation to continue at that point.

I keep meaning to pick it up again but then Borderlands 2 happened.
Levels in games that take away your weapons... Yep, they make the list.
TheVision wrote:

It doesn't really do that, though.
Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Ah right, ok. Resident Evil 2 is no longer on the list.

I didn't think it would be anyway as I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.
Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:

It took away my character that I'd spent hours building up into a zombie slaughtering badass motherfucker, and gave me a girl in high heels with a shit pistol, about 1 and a half bullets, and some Star Trek style handheld device that I had to wave at walls to find the right bit of electronica to hack so that a fan would overload to make a path for me to progress.

After I'd done that a few times it sent me down into a maze section where I was forced to dodge zombies whilst solving crap puzzles, and then it put me into a gauntlet race with Mr X against the clock so that if I did anything wrong I'd run out of time and Mr X would squash my head.

Not cool.

It just really broke the rhythm I'd got into with the game and the girl I was forced to play as annoyed me.

I will go back to it as by all accounts there isn't much more of high heeled girl's section left, and I'll get my proper character back. But Borderlands 2 first. And Apex Legends. And Hearthstone.
Yeah, I didn't particularly like Ada's bit either but it only took half an hour or so (MEN please check). The maze bit was fuck annoying though, especially as I arrived without any bullets.
Yeah, about that. Didn't feel at all annoying to me.

Also you'd have had bullets if you hadn't spammed them everywhere in the previous section. Your aim was slightly worse than a Stormtrooper in that bit.
It would have only taken half an hour or so if you hadn't gung-ho'd your way into zombies' faces quite a lot.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also you'd have had bullets if you hadn't spammed them everywhere in the previous section. Your aim was slightly worse than a Stormtrooper in that bit.

Richard "OMG YOU USED ALL THE BULLETS NOW WE'RE GOING TO DIE WE SHOULD JUST RELOAD THE SAVE OMG I'M GOING TO LOOK UP HOW TO DO THE NEXT BIT ONLINE" Gaywood, folks.

Stats fans will be interested to know that we had over 200 bullets when the game ended ;)
Cras wrote:
It would have only taken half an hour or so if you hadn't gung-ho'd your way into zombies' faces quite a lot.

Cras "Don't even give me the pad, I don't want to be responsible, you two just play" Ter, folks.
I stand by my ammo hoarding game reloading ways.
Yeah I'm not shy when it comes to spamming reloads myself, especially in a game where resources are as scarce as this.

There was one bit with a Mr X engagement where I probably reloaded about 20 times until I got the whole thing just right on my route to the next objective.
You know how there's governments that spend like money doesn't exist and then governments that build carefully back to a surplus? Yeah, that.
Grim... wrote:
POWER THROUGH

The only correct approach.
Grim... wrote:
POWER THROUGH

Grim... “I’m going to attack this witch with a whisk” @L4D2
Hearthly wrote:
Yeah I'm not shy when it comes to spamming reloads myself

You very haughtily objected when I suggested you spammed quicksave in Sniper Elite. Showing your true colours now, I see!
Well, at least you didn't find a shit bit on boats where you carried on dying for no apparent reason or warning.
Nor some really rubbish driving section with terrible control.

Imagine if Resi had those, eh?
Mr Dave wrote:
Well, at least you didn't find a shit bit on boats where you carried on dying for no apparent reason or warning.
Nor some really rubbish driving section with terrible control.

Imagine if Resi had those, eh?

Possibly the worst game level I have played in about ten years.
Cras wrote:
You know how there's governments that spend like money doesn't exist and then governments that build carefully back to a surplus? Yeah, that.

Hahahaha no.
Well, in theory ;)
Page 1 of 2 [ 88 posts ]