The Stanley Parable
PC/Mac Confuse-em-up
Bamba mentioned this in Bits and Bobs, but it deserves its own thread. I don't want to give too much away, as it spoils the game, but you should immediately play the demo at your earliest convenience. It doesn't have any content from the main game, so there are no spoilers there either. Then buy the game.

It fuses elements from Dear Esther, Go Home, Antichamber and Portal, but it's better than all of those except Portal. It's sort of the gaming equivalent of Primer or Inception.

It's brilliant and only £7.99 at the moment. Buy it now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/
Here's my original post which gives a bit more background should anyone want it and the glowing Eurogamer review is here. I'm tempted to pick this up and play through it before Arkham Origins drops but I'm worried I won't go back to it once AO comes out so it won't get the time it deserves. I'm going to make Mrs B play it, although she doesn't know that yet.
Bamba wrote:
Here's my original post which gives a bit more background should anyone want it and the glowing Eurogamer review is here. I'm tempted to pick this up and play through it before Arkham Origins drops but I'm worried I won't go back to it once AO comes out so it won't get the time it deserves. I'm going to make Mrs B play it, although she doesn't know that yet.

It won't take you too long. I 'finished' it in one sitting. Not sure how many endings I've missed, though.
SilentElk wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It won't take you too long. I 'finished' it in one sitting. Not sure how many endings I've missed, though.

There's meant to be a fuckton of branches and endings which is what I was thinking of in terms of giving it the time it deserves. I suppose I could come back to it at some point after seeing a couple of endings though. Hmmm, might be something to do tonight...
Fuck it, just bought it and will try and get time to have a play with it tonight or tomorrow.
This is relevant to my intPEEEFACKINGCEEE.
Saturnalian wrote:

It runs on the Source engine, so any crappy laptop should run it.
Saturnalian wrote:

You really should get yourself a PC for gaming, the amount of indie nonsense that you'd love that you're missing out on is non-trivial. Here's my current list of 'to get' indie PC exclusive madness to give you an idea:

The Swapper
Out There Somewhere
Thirty Flights of Loving
Antichamber
The Bridge
Fibrillation
Luminesca
The Cat Lady
Ittle Dew
Magrunner
Gone Home
Gunpoint
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
MirrorMoon EP

Granted some of them are more oddity than game, but still.
I wonder how many of those will appear on the PS4.
SilentElk wrote:
I wonder how many of those will appear on the PS4.

The more successful stuff like The Swapper and Gunpoint might I suppose as they've made enough money to afford the extra investment. Equally though the developers might just move onto their next game and never bother porting the existing stuff. iOS seems a more likely platform to get a port of this kind of stuff than PS4.
So, that was...fucking bonkers. Favourite ending:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The museum ending by far, although the baby game ending was probably the oddest.
Its weird but good. Its barely a game, more of a choose your own adventure really.
This is on sale at the moment for £5.99 for anyone who fancied it but never grabbed it. The sale only lasts another eight and a half hours though.
I completely missed this, but eurogamwr's ga,es of the years poimted me at .. Wthis ,eamt a very scary but intriging boxing day afternoon.. Amd thinking how i actually could use this in work...
Currently down to £1.99 on Steam in the MIDWEEK MADNESS sale.

As I have never played or even seen this, I have decided to have a go - I believe it is supposed to be interesting.
Yeah this is fantastic and £2 is a great price.
I've had a couple of hours out of it and seen about half the endings.

It's certainly a bit different, and chucklesomely funny, but ultimately it's a rather one-note affair and whilst that note is a good note, I'm not sure I'll be seeking out all 19 endings. (I've read what they all are on the Wiki though.)

For a couple of quid I don't feel short-changed but I'm not sure I'd want to have spent much more than that on it.

A reasonable experience for sure, and some clever play on the nature of games and choice (or lack of) therein.
I fucking love this game
DavPaz wrote:
I fucking love this game

Yep
Seen about half a dozen endings I reckon. Love it
I was considering replaying this at some point soon so this is ideal timing.
SUBTITLE INACCURACIES OMFG
I do wonder though whether the update will be free for existing owners of the PC game. I wouldn't mind paying a wee bit for it as some kind of DLC but if it's a completely separate game that'll suck.
Page 1 of 1 [ 27 posts ]