Fuck yeah, it's Christmas now!
That's pretty sweet.

I like that they've moved away from the formula of acoustic cover and cute animal that they spawned.
Nah, that's shit.
Apparently that ad cost £10m. £5m of which went to Elton.

Fucking madness.
Elton be spendy, yo.
GazChap wrote:

Fucking madness.

Meh, it's not my money. Go get yours, Elton!
GazChap wrote:

Fucking madness.

When I saw the headlines earlier in the year that he would be in it, I read them as he was paying to be in it. Is that not what's happened then?
Why would he pay them?
I don't know, I did think it was odd at the time, sometimes you hear of famous people that really want to do something so they fund it, I just assumed it was one of those things. I guess it was just a comprehension failure on my part.
I quite like the ad. I see that John Lewis do actually sell (digital) pianos too, so I imagine it'll help to shift a few of those.
GazChap wrote:

Fucking madness.

I've seen various reports, but the most common one (with three!) is £7m, with £5m going to Elton's charity.
That's rather lovely. Really makes me feel old, though :D
I like it. It's clever and the sound seems right... Especially the dry sound of him in the studio.

Still not going to shop there though.
You'll never forget your first Christmas gherkin, JC.

God bless us, one and all.
Not a bad advert for Elton's upcoming farewell tour, tickets for which just went on sale...
Curiosity wrote:
Not a bad advert for Elton's upcoming farewell tour, tickets for which just went on sale...

My wife was really surprised when I told her that celebs don't go on 'Surprise surprise' without an album or tour to promote. She thought they did it out of kindness.
Curiosity wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that worldwide hyperstar Elton John didn't need a lot of help selling tickets to his farewell tour.
I don't disagree but it's weird, I don't remember ever meeting an Elton John fan. Like someone who would go to see him.
I would. My mum would too, only all the tickets for his concerts sold out in about 8 nanoseconds so now I need to think of another present.
If only there was some kind of advert that could help with an idea for a Christmas gift?
JohnCoffey wrote:
That's rather lovely. Really makes me feel old, though :D

:this:
Now my kids want platform shoes and Wembley fucking stadium for Christmas.
Grim... wrote:
I would. My mum would too, only all the tickets for his concerts sold out in about 8 nanoseconds so now I need to think of another present.

It's not sold out; you just don't love her enough to pay for the VIP packages and/or platinum seats :D
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's not sold out; you just don't love her enough to pay for the VIP packages and/or platinum seats :D

Less flippantly, there are single tickets available fi she wants to go on her own, but more than likely there will be more dates added. Keep your eyes peeled!
Grim... wrote:

A Playstation, Spiderman and RDR2?
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Or the floor seats ;)
All big name gig tickets are a rip off, even at the original price. Discus.
Warhead wrote:

Well putt.
nah mate, different throwing events init
Warhead wrote:

I wouldn’t say that. If I’ve dropped big on a ticket I’ve had variably felt I had my money’s worth.

However saying that, I haven’t been to a big gig in years because fuck paying £150 today to see someone in 18 months time.
I went to see the Spice Girls when I was about 18 and I'm sure it cost me about £15/£20.... I over heard someone say the other day that they've seen the tickets for the new tour go for over £1000!

So yeah, rip off.
TheVision wrote:
I went to see the Spice Girls when I was about 18 and I'm sure it cost me about £15/£20.... I over heard someone say the other day that they've seen the tickets for the new tour go for over £1000!

Ah, an overheard comment, the most reliable of data.

There's no way normal tickets are going for over a grand.
The Radio 2 breakfast show was auctioning VIP Spice Girls tickets for multiple thousands for Children in Need. Perhaps you overhead a conversation about that?
Then again, they probably make sod all from record sales as an awful lot of people are nicking their tunes for free, so touring is their main source of income, apart from product endorsements, merch, etc.
I expect most people get their music from streaming these days. Not exactly free, but not a huge money spinner for the artist.

Legal, though
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yeah, in fariness I've just had a look and the most expensive I can see on a second hand site is £449. Not quite a grand, but still a rip off.

I overheard this while in the waiting room at my daughters dance class. I was playing my Switch at the time so not really paying much attention at all... If I actually listened to the conversations in there, I'd go mad!
Grim... wrote:

That is quite lovely.
TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yeah, in fariness I've just had a look and the most expensive I can see on a second hand site is £449. Not quite a grand, but still a rip off.

Prices on a second hand site are immaterial because that's nothing to do with the artist. I could list a ticket on there for a billion pounds if I wanted but it wouldn't prove anything about ticket prices.
Supply, meet your friend: Demand.
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Prices on a second hand site are immaterial because that's nothing to do with the artist. I could list a ticket on there for a billion pounds if I wanted but it wouldn't prove anything about ticket prices.

And if you did, someone might say that they've seen the tickets for the new tour go for over £1000.
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

And if you did, someone might say that they've seen the tickets for the new tour go for over £1000.

I'd argue that you can only say something's "gone" for that price if you know it actually sold for that; seeing it listed doesn't mean anything.

Also, as an answer to the original question:

Warhead wrote:

I'd still say that second hand prices are meaningless.
I tried to get to get tickets for the London NBA game. Pre-sale sold out in 20 minutes, actual sale sold out in 11. The shitty nosebleed seats were up on StubHub for 5x face value 3 minutes after. They were 80 quid face value, so 400. You could go and watch the Knicks at Madison Square Garden for that. Just about. And you'd get better seats. And you'd be in The Garden, in New York, not a glorified tent in London.
The few that are left are showing at 230-250, btw.
It's definitely Christmas... We've been to the local church Christmas fayre this morning and won lots of sweets for the girls on the stalls.

MrsTheVision won a bottle of red wine for 20p and I won a £20 hair and beauty voucher for a local salon.

Saw a load of the neighbours too and had a chat with the vicar who is retiring next year. Officially Christmas now.
TheVision wrote:
It's definitely Christmas... We've been to the local church Christmas fayre this morning and won lots of sweets for the girls on the stalls.

MrsTheVision won a bottle of red wine for 20p and I won a £20 hair and beauty voucher for a local salon.

Saw a load of the neighbours too and had a chat with the vicar who is retiring next year. Officially Christmas now.

Where do you live? 1875?
Sounds nice to me.

I really should go to midnight mass at my village church. I say I'll go every year and then it's freezing so I bail.
Page 1 of 3 [ 150 posts ]