Chromecast, and things like it
Was: Amazon set-top box?
Bear in mind it's like two feet from my wifi router, though.
Video quality on Netflix on my Chromecast is great. No idea what that review is on about.
Whatever, shill.
Forgive me for being simple:

I can buy a chromecast, plug it into the HDMI port on the tellybox upstairs, set it into the wireless network and use a phone to control netflix and iplayer through that tv? All for £30?
MaliA wrote:

I can buy a chromecast, plug it into the HDMI port on the tellybox upstairs, set it into the wireless network and use a phone to control netflix and iplayer through that tv? All for £30?

As long as you have a clever phone

Or an ipod/ipad.
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

As long as you have a clever phone

Or an ipod/ipad.

Superb. I shall get one.

Thanks.
Excellent. They're ace.
This will no doubt be "Free" for Prime users, meaning the cost of Prime will go up to cover it :p
Chromecasts are indeed ace. Bought two of them late last week and now have my entire media library streamable pretty much everywhere I need it.

Although Plex Media Server fucks me right off in that it won't show anything that it can't match up to the databases.
How do I use this to get content from my computer playing on my telly. Is that possible? If not, why not?
Curiosity wrote:
How do I use this to get content from my computer playing on my telly. Is that possible? If not, why not?

Look up one post...
GazChap wrote:
Although Plex Media Server fucks me right off in that it won't show anything that it can't match up to the databases.

I can play obscure 4x4 event videos through it with Chromecast so I can't see how that's right.
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I can play obscure 4x4 event videos through it with Chromecast so I can't see how that's right.

I think you can choose where it sources its info from too, it might default to IMDB but you can swap it to local files, which should sort the issue I would have thought.
Trooper wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Look up one post...

I need a Plex media server that fucks me off?
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I think you can choose where it sources its info from too, it might default to IMDB but you can swap it to local files, which should sort the issue I would have thought.

I'll have to have a look in the settings. WHEN THE BLOODY APP STOPS CRASHING.

(it's great when it works)
I use Media Browser. WHICH ALSO CRASHES A LOT.

Tsk.
The missus is home with poorly kids today. She has been using the Chromecast with the barest minimum of instruction. No greater endorsement needed
DavPaz wrote:
The missus is home with poorly kids today. She has been using the Chromecast with the barest minimum of instruction. No greater endorsement needed

Seconded. I've been really impressed so far. The only problem is some flickering and snow. I think this is due to the HDMI connection in one TV as on the other it is absolutely fine. Well worth £30.
DavPaz wrote:

What about if they add squizzles ?

What's tempting about the Chromecast is that it has YouTube. Fond of I am of my roku, it lacks this (so far as I can tell)
Kern wrote:
What's tempting about the Chromecast is that it has YouTube. Fond of I am of my roku, it lacks this (so far as I can tell)

What's a Roku? I thought everything had YouTube these days? Even the 3DS.
I've given this thread a new title to reflect the direction it has taken.
TheVision wrote:
Kern wrote:

What's a Roku? I thought everything had YouTube these days? Even the 3DS.

Box I bought so I could watch BBC Iplayer and Netflix on my telly. It has loads of other apps (4od, Sky Now, Demand5 as big names, but also bizarre collections of WW2 propaganda films and Angry Birds, amongst others) but not YouTube. It has Vevo and Plex though.
They have finally launched a Youtube app for the Roku.
Cool, I'll grab that later.
After trying my Chromecast on the main TV with unexpected success (it's attached to the back of the the AV receiver inside the cabinet, so I was skeptical as to it's wi-fi signal potential) I have bought a second Chromecast for the kids' room.
I has one of these now, it's very good.
Would dust in the hdmi port cause the chromecast picture to come and go and often fill about half or a third of the screen with a snowstorm?
It's possible, but when that happened to me it was that the USB cable was taut, and was pulling the Chromecast "down" slightly and making the connection suffer.
£4.99 of Play money if you have a ChromeCast: http://chromecast.com/offers
What if I have two?
Try both, I guess.
Sweet, it says it is for a movie rental, but is actually just credit :)

Ta very much.
Grim... wrote:
£4.99 of Play money if you have a ChromeCast: http://chromecast.com/offers

Ta.
2 lots of £4.99.

Ta, Grim...!
I'd better do the work one ;)
Grim... wrote:
I'd better do the work one ;)

For science!
Handy! Russell, please investigate!!
Having installed, configured and used plex, I can now state that plex is better than mediabrowser
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL1130-F ... chromecast

Looks like the Fire TV Box is out end of the month in the UK

So you can now watch Amazon Prime on your TV without having to have a Smart TV or buy an Xbox One

Will get my Dad to buy one so he can use my Prime Video
https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/

Apparently you can get 3 months free Now TV sub for your Chromecast. I can't check it as my Chromecast is at home.
£5 free play credit for each Chromecast, currently.
You can get all the other things on that page too, like the X-Men movie and Now TV.
That's £10 in credit so far, it's virtually paid for itself!!!!!11!!1
Watch these free videos and get a chromecast.

Google just actualised Freemium coin gathering.
DavPaz wrote:

How?
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How?

1. Click this: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/
2. Connect to your Chromecast
3. Profit!
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How?

1. Click this: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/
2. Connect to your Chromecast
3. Profit!

Just tried to redeem it for both our Chromecasts and each one says that the code entered is invalid. Must be a one per Google account thing rather than per Chromecast.
If Mimi has a Play account it might work on that?
Page 2 of 3 [ 112 posts ]