Chromecast, and things like it
Was: Amazon set-top box?
Mr Russell wrote:
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
£5 free play credit for each Chromecast, currently.

How?

1. Click this: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/
2. Connect to your Chromecast
3. Profit!

Just tried to redeem it for both our Chromecasts and each one says that the code entered is invalid. Must be a one per Google account thing rather than per Chromecast.

Nope. I redeemed both of mine against the same account
Mystery solved. Apparently my Google Wallet account has been suspended so they can protect me against fraud (what?)

All I have to do is send them a copy of my passport or other government issued ID and they'll unlock it for me. For the sake of a fiver I'll say no thanks.
MaliA wrote:
Would dust in the hdmi port cause the chromecast picture to come and go and often fill about half or a third of the screen with a snowstorm?

Buying a new telly sorted this problem, by the way.
Pretty extreme way to get dust out of the HDMI port, I'd have probably just given it a blow.
Cras wrote:
Pretty extreme way to get dust out of the HDMI port, I'd have probably just given it a blow.

I've heard that's the way that you solve many problems, Craster.
As the actress said to the bishop...
Cras wrote:

Well, she wants to watch Scandal when I want to play ps4 and the shop was out of ipad air 2's. So I saved loaDs.
I have bought a Roku 2 to replace the Nexus Player since the Nexus *still* doesn't have iPlayer, more 4, demand 5 or Amazon prime. The Roku, while lacking a certain level of polish, does all of those *and* Netflix, Google movies and Plex.

Plus, it has wired Ethernet and an IR sensor, meaning it works with the Logitech harmony without fuss.

No kodi, though. Meh.
It's weird that it's been exactly one year *to the day* since I bought the Roku and it seems today is the day that I'm going to replace it with a Fire TV box.

Would anyone be interested in purchasing a Roku 2?
I've tricked my fire TV into thinking it's an Nvidia Shield, so I can now play dirt rally on the sofa. I am *really* bad at it
Finally replaced my Roku 2 with the new Kindle Fire Stick (4k). The old box served me well for five years or so but had become increasingly erratic: BBC Iplayer in particular would take three automatic reboots to get past the first 15 seconds of a show. Fond as I am of the 'Doctor Who' theme in most of its variations, you can have too much of a good thing when you want to see the rest of the show.

So far I'm very impressed with it - installation was easy and it looks very colourful. The lack of a proper Youtube app is fine as my telly as one built-in.
Kern wrote:
So far I'm very impressed with it - installation was easy and it looks very colourful. The lack of a proper Youtube app is fine as my telly as one built-in.

If you install Firefox, YouTube runs in that in a very close approximation of the official app. Just one extra click
Page 3 of 3 [ 112 posts ]