//////
:DD

I have trouble filtering out background noise also. Which is why I could never hold a conversation in a noisy pub or somewhere.
CraigGrannell wrote:
Or, if you're unlucky, you're like me, and find it almost impossible to properly filter noise. If I'm in a room with a bunch of people talking, I often have to listen very intently and partially lip-read to hear what's being said. And my most recent hearing test a few months back was well above average, too.

I have the opposite problem. It probably comes from growing up surrounded by women - I filter out pretty much everything by default.
sinister agent wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
Or, if you're unlucky, you're like me, and find it almost impossible to properly filter noise. If I'm in a room with a bunch of people talking, I often have to listen very intently and partially lip-read to hear what's being said. And my most recent hearing test a few months back was well above average, too.

I have the opposite problem. It probably comes from growing up surrounded by women - I filter out pretty much everything by default.

Ditto, but replace women with kids.
Cockfag trying to be funny wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Someone rigged up an audio version of the datacentre traffic, mapping traffic types to jungle sounds. A SQL request going into the server may be a parrot calling, overall bandwidth usage a distant waterfall (traffic=volume), port scans from outside the network were a monkey calling, and so on. His theory, which the results in the paper validated, was that over time you begin to ignore all the normal sounds but start to spot odd patterns in the sound, e.g. lots of monkeys calling indicated a potential network intrusion. Apparantly the system worked quite well. This is, of course, the same instinct that meant our ancestors could live in noisy environments and not get eaten by critters.

I thought this was fascinating, and a reminder to those working in IT that you have to be wary of monkeys.

Fixed.

Let's get the attributions correct, eh?
MaliA wrote:
I've only had a brief look but can't find it, but I'm about to go home.

However, this is interesting:

Fatal accidents due to train surfing in Berlin.
Strauch H, Wirth I, Geserick G.

Institute of Legal Medicine, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.

Heh.

Still my favourite bit of research:

The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard, Moeliker CW
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I've only had a brief look but can't find it, but I'm about to go home.

However, this is interesting:

Fatal accidents due to train surfing in Berlin.
Strauch H, Wirth I, Geserick G.

Institute of Legal Medicine, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.

Heh.

Still my favourite bit of research:

The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard, Moeliker CW

Sadly, I don't even need to click on that to know the contents.

I want to know what kind of a man, who when confronted with one male duck having relations with a dead male duck, not only doesn't turn away, but who's first thought is to go and get a camera and watch it for an hour. Before taking the spoils of war back to his 'lab'

Answers:
1) Dimrill.
2) Dimrill.
How did that man not win a Nobel Prize? He took our knowledge of ducks fucking the corpses of other ducks to whole new levels. This is like relativity or the discovery of calculus.
Page 5 of 5 [ 207 posts ]