True Detective
Seeing the Breaking Bad thread get bumped reminded me that I'm currently five episodes into the best TV show since Breaking Bad.

True Detective is really really good.

It's a little hard to describe the appeal, but I'll try.

It's cop show centered around Matthew Mcconaughey and Woody Harrelson investigating a nasty murder in the deep south.

It's a real slow burner, it's takes its time to establish the characters properly. It's beautifully shot, and full of really natural performances, and the two leads are quite interesting flawed characters. There was an action sequence at the end of the fourth episode that is one of the best things I have ever seen on TV.

It's full of occult stuff, some overt and some subtle.

Anyone else watching it?
Not yet, but it has just been added to the downloadatron.
For some reason i used to mix up Matthew Mcconaughey and Woody Harrelson, so this has to be weird.
Trooper wrote:
Not yet, but it has just been added to the downloadatron.

:this:
Yes, I am. And it's bloody brilliant.
Yeah it's really great. Although in the past Matthew McDoodle looks distracting like Quinn from Dexter.
markg wrote:
Yeah it's really great. Although in the past Matthew McDoodle looks distracting like Quinn from Dexter.

Heh, it's been bugging me who he reminds me of!
Started off slow but was good at the same time

Last couple of episodes have seen it get going making it better.

Really worth watching
markg wrote:
Although in the past Matthew McDoodle looks distracting like Quinn from Dexter.
I'm very glad it's not just me that thinks this.
Quality series. Last ten minutes or so of episode 4 was superb.

Been busy last few days but looking forward to watching episode 5 tomorrow.
I'm watching it at UK pace (only seen episode 1)

It seems alright so far.

Malc
Watched ep 5 last night. It really is mesmerising.
This show is really great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just watched episode 2 yesterday

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Great boobs
RuySan wrote:

Great boobs

:this:
RuySan wrote:

Great boobs

Yeah, the boobs really were top-notch.
Here are the boobs in question for anyone who's interested. I shouldn't have to say this but the link is NSFW obviously:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m8or ... /serie.jpg
Boobs don't get much better than that.
\
ORLY?

[edit]Oh, it's animated. Unexpected.
Grim... wrote:
\
ORLY?

Those are very good boobs as well. It'd be a toss-up (fnarr) for me between those, Kelly Brooks' or Christina Hendricks'.
Kelly Brooks is disqualified because she hasn't shared them with the rest of us.
Grim... wrote:
\
ORLY?

[edit]Oh, it's animated. Unexpected.

I'd go for equally fine, but no better.
http://www.sinlung.com/2010/11/kat-denn ... nline.html Very obviously NSFW
Grim... wrote:
Kelly Brooks is disqualified because she hasn't shared them with the rest of us.

She's shared them even more than the actress from True Detective has (that nude shoot with her covered in red paint was excellent) and a massive sight more than Christina Hendricks. Your criteria doesn't seem to make a lick of sense.
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

She's shared them even more than the actress from True Detective has (that nude shoot with her covered in red paint was excellent) and a massive sight more than Christina Hendricks. Your criteria doesn't seem to make a lick of sense.

I wasn't sure about Christina Hendricks. Covered in anything doesn't count (unless it's part of my body (or something that was very recently part of my body)).
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I wasn't sure about Christina Hendricks. Covered in anything doesn't count (unless it's part of my body (or something that was very recently part of my body)).

Well if the 'little bit of red paint' somehow disqualifies her there are shitloads of other pictures out there. Go and do your own filth Googling but she certainly qualifies by any criteria.
It's a wonder sometimes that we have any female members at all here.
British Nervoso wrote:

If flis and Ange want to talk about cocks I'm perfectly fine with that.
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

I'm sure you are, you filthy bast.
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Ange spends enough of her time talking to a cock.
Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Ange does talk abaout Myp :)
Bamba wrote:
Well if the 'little bit of red paint' somehow disqualifies her there are shitloads of other pictures out there.

Huh, so there are. I'd never thought to look, oddly.

Now Hendricks just needs some encouragement.
Which reminds me that one of the scenes in Holy Motors has the main character dressed up as a weird troll thing spending ten minutes prancing completely nude around Eva Longoria in a cave with an erection. It was weird on so many levels.

In before: why did the cave have an erection.
Except I mean Eve Mendes rather than Eva Longoria.
Christina Hendricks was the hottest thing on earth in the first few seasons of Mad Men. Feel free to disagree with me, but i think she has gotten too fat (edited).
RuySan wrote:
Christina Hendricks was the hottest thing on earth in the first few seasons of Mad Men. Feel free to disagree with me, but i think she has gotten too far.

Gotten too far what? And I think she looks a million times hotter out of Mad Men. She looks quite different in that one show compared to in Firefly and just general pictures you see.
Also, I never knew she was in Angel:

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Christina Hendricks was the hottest thing on earth in the first few seasons of Mad Men. Feel free to disagree with me, but i think she has gotten too far.

Gotten too far what? And I think she looks a million times hotter out of Mad Men. She looks quite different in that one show compared to in Firefly and just general pictures you see.

Fat, i meant :)

Besides, i never watched her in anything other than Mad Men
RuySan wrote:

/holds Craster back
British Nervoso wrote:

I think most people appreciate a nice boobs. I do take issue when a woman is seen as just a life support system for a nice pair of boobs, though. However, I do realise that people who make their money with their bodies are probably limiting themselves to being perceived purely as a hot body or nice boobs.
flis wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

I think most people appreciate a nice boobs. I do take issue when a woman is seen as just a life support system for a nice pair of boobs, though. However, I do realise that people who make their money with their bodies are probably limiting themselves to being perceived purely as a hot body or nice boobs.

I am perceived as purely a hot body :DD
RuySan wrote:

FFS. Do we not have some sort of entrance exam on this place?
Cras wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Yeah, you have to work out some sum, or something.

And it doesn't matter what number you put.
Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Yeah, you have to work out some sum, or something.

And it doesn't matter what number you put.

Excuse me?

/
69!
By all accounts this show will be like American Horror Story, they is another season planned but with a new cast and story.

Next weeks episode (8) is the last one so they have a lot to tie up!
If you are up to date:
Pretty amazing theory about The Yellow King
I am six episodes into Season One and I'm absolutely mesmerised by this, I'll do the last two episodes tonight.

It's so dark, nihilistic and bleak in places it's actually putting me in a bit of a weird mood.

As daft as it sounds it reminds me of Santa Clarita Diet, not in a Drew Barrymore zombie comedy kind of way, but in how it does its thing almost perfectly. It's incredibly well written, everyone is perfectly cast, the direction and cinematography are sublime, the use of music is brilliant - and it all comes together to be kind of the best example of of its genre, it's hard to find any fault with it at all.

I already had the highest respect for McConaughey and Harrelson but their work here is on a whole other level.
It's a fantastic bit of TV.

Didn't bother with the second season as I heard it was pap in comparison.
Zardoz wrote:
It's a fantastic bit of TV.

Didn't bother with the second season as I heard it was pap in comparison.

The second season would have been brilliant TV if they hadn't called it True Detective.
Drue Tetective?

I think I will watch Season 2 but not expect more True Detective, which seems to be the preferred way to go into it.
Finished Season 1 last night, really loved it. Nice to have at least an optimistic (sort of, ish) ending, don't think I could have taken it being completely bleak.

Excellent follow-on reading - http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/true-det ... about.html
Hearthly wrote:
I think I will watch Season 2 but not expect more True Detective, which seems to be the preferred way to go into it.

I'd skip it and read some of Nic Pizzolatto’s books instead. I enjoyed Galveston, for one: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/book ... ane-t.html

(It doesn't have True Detective's supernatural aspects, but it has an even stronger streak of noir, as well as a tremendous sense of place in the shimmering, relentless heat of the South.)
Page 1 of 1 [ 50 posts ]