Failed Excuses
I want to hear situations where you've tried to use an excuse to get out of something, only to have it fail or backfire on you.

I've jsut had two Jehovas Witnesses at the door (my first ever time). They proferred me The Watchtower, and wanted to tell me a bit about Noah and The Bible and stuff. When my mind caught up with what my eyes were seeing and my ears were hearing, it dredged up a long-forgotten excuse to get out of such a situation:

"Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm not compatible, because I give blood."

'Aha!' I thought, 'Got out of that one pretty smoothly. Well remembered, brain.'

But she continued:

"Oh that's alright, we know people who give blood and it's OK."

I was staggered. Jehovas Witnesses are not against people who give blood after all! I had been misled. It took a few minutes more to convince them I was against indoctrination before they thanked me for coming to the door and left.

You failed excuses please!
I had some JWs round this morning, too.

Spooky.

I told them I respectfully disagreed with them and they left.
Ah the wonders of living in a block behind a security door.
The Rev Owen wrote:
I had some JWs round this morning, too.

Spooky.

I told them I respectfully disagreed with them and they left.

You should have told them that you agreed with them that our Lord will save us........ by returning to Saturday night TV to revive his House Party and Mr Blobby.
"You bastards! My grandad died at Auschwitz when he fell out of a watchtower! You've just brought it all flooding back!"
I remember when i was 15 or 16 i got home a bit tipsy and my mom said my breath stinked from the beer. I said that's because all my friends drink, and the smell is contagious.

Not that it backfired, but at the time i believed my mom bought it.
"Oh that's alright, we know people who give blood and it's OK."

"You mean, they give their own blood, right?"
My second cousin recently passed away after refusing a blood transfusion after giving birth due to her JW faith. They are obviously not high in my opinion.
Oh dear, that's just terrible, Dims :(

I hope you don't mind me asking, but was the baby OK? I guess your cousin had the right (albeit a stupid decision) to risk her own health, but I wonder if the hospital would have stepped in if the baby's life was at risk? Could they have forced a transfusion in these circumstances, I wonder?

A good friend of mine was a Jehova's Witness but I decided it was stupid after hearing that they didn't celebrate birthdays and that she wanted to marry her brother (which was, I believe, nothing to do with her faith, but made me believe that she was a bit potty)...
I didn't know that people still wrote the 'up, down, left, x, circle, X, right' type cheats into games any more!

EDIT: how is it that when I post in one thread my reply sometimes jumps into another thread? Is it just me?
Yeah, the baby survived.
Mimi wrote:
I didn't know that people still wrote the 'up, down, left, x, circle, X, right' type cheats into games any more!

EDIT: how is it that when I post in one thread my reply sometimes jumps into another thread? Is it just me?

It, well... It really shouldn't.
Mimi wrote:

Having checked the time of this post mimi, I'm having a little chuckle.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]