The Happening
A film critique
LaceSensors review:

This was awful.
Acting was atrocious.
The premise of the whole movie though mildly interesting was diluted into absolute tishwashtosh.
Acting was horrendous.
There were so many cartoon characters in here...no not bugs bunny, but just overtly stupid caricatures (sp?) of people.
I was highly anticipatory of it from the trailers, wow the trailers are amazing, but the film isnt.
BUT

It had Zooey Deschanel in it

9/10

nah honestly it was shiiiiite

1/10 for original concept of
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
everyone dying as karma for being cunts.

even Zooey Deschanel was so so so shit in it, and despite being ridiculously beautiful and I love all her other films, she was wasted in this.
Edited: Because Lacey is a twist-blurting spoiler whore.
Ah man. Wasn't Wahlberg any good? He's a favourite of mine.
I've heard that this is appallingly bad on many levels, which is a shame, as the trailer looked intriguing. Will this finally stop the menace that is M Night Showaddywaddy?

Shame about Zooey being not so great in it, as she is my number one fave crush and "Hurrah!" when I see her in films at the moment. It may ease your pain Lacesensor to know that she has released a pretty awesome album, largely unheralded in the wake of Scarlet Johanson's duff Tom Wait's covers effort.
nervouspete wrote:
I've heard that this is appallingly bad on many levels, which is a shame, as the trailer looked intriguing. Will this finally stop the menace that is M Night Showaddywaddy?

Shame about Zooey being not so great in it, as she is my number one fave crush and "Hurrah!" when I see her in films at the moment. It may ease your pain Lacesensor to know that she has released a pretty awesome album, largely unheralded in the wake of Scarlet Johanson's duff Tom Wait's covers effort.

She just has the most amazing eyes

It also helps that the rest of her is pretty top notch too.

And yeah the script, jesus, even Al Pacino couldnt have got into character for this one.
Terrible.
It truly is awful and I rally recommend noone pay its wages.
jonarob wrote:
Ah man. Wasn't Wahlberg any good? He's a favourite of mine.

I like Wahlberg as an actor, but he is terrifically poor in this.

The movie if so disjointed and there are just some laugh out lout moments, and it wasnt meant to be funny.

To its credit it does have about 3 very disturbing scenes that were done genuinely well.
But thats it.

M.Night.Whatever was good on 6th Sense and Signs, the rest of his output is terrible really isnt it?
The Sixth Sense was alright, I spose. The Village is hilariously awful. Not seen Signs, I don't do Gibson.

But, Unbreakable is a very good movie, I enjoyed that loads and wish it could have been longer. To my surprise, and despite it having many things wrong with it, I found many things to like about Lady In The Water, and I'd watch it (and Unbreakable) again.
nervouspete wrote:
Scarlet Johanson's duff Tom Wait's covers effort.

I thought that was a good album. Irrelevant that it was her singing, like, but some interesting arrangements of the songs.
Hmm, I wasn't convinced to be honest. I sometimes like the Nico monotone sound - see Black Box Recorder for example - but I really wasn't enamoured with it. Good production, and brave material choice (and I wuv Tom Waits) but it just seemed a bit passionless and pointless.
CUS wrote:
The Sixth Sense was alright, I spose. The Village is hilariously awful. Not seen Signs, I don't do Gibson.

But, Unbreakable is a very good movie, I enjoyed that loads and wish it could have been longer. To my surprise, and despite it having many things wrong with it, I found many things to like about Lady In The Water, and I'd watch it (and Unbreakable) again.

I liked Unbreakable a lot, but the fact that M. Night ImaynothavesaideverysinglesyllablebutbasicallyIsaidhissurname was trying for a comic-book motif despite having obviously never picked up a comic in his life niggled with me a bit.

F'rinstance.

"Do you know how to tell who the arch-villain is in a comic-book? He's the exact opposite of the hero!" says Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson.

"No, he fucking isn't!" say Doctor Doom, Two-Face, The Red Skull, Sleepman, Judge Death, the Lizard, Venom and almost everyone Iron Man ever engaged in fisticuffsmanship. The usual schtick with yer average arch-nemesis is "There But For The Grace Of God Go I", actually. Alright, I'll give you the Joker, the Kingpin and a couple of the little brainy types that the Hulk fought from time to time. Even so.

Signs, though... my God. Worst. Aliens. Ever.
Rodafowa wrote:
Signs, though... my God. Worst. Aliens. Ever.

I love the idea though. It takes a special kind of stupid to create the biggest plot hole in history.

"Invasion of planet that is 70% water by aliens who are killed by water".
I'm gonna give this one a miss.

Loved M.Night's first 2 major films (Sixth Sense & Unbreakable) but it's all been down-hill from there.

Signs & The Village were both interesting but had annoying endings (especially The Village) that made me forget about all the good-will I'd given to the film up until that point, and left a sour taste in the mouth when I came out of the cinema.

Lady In The Water was just crap....

From the reviews I've read of The Happening, it's another low-point in his career.

Marky Mark apparently does suck in this, but reading between the lines, it's down to the awful dialogue he's been given (written by M. Night) and not due to his acting ability (when he gets a good script, like in The Departed or Boogie Nights, he's great).

I'll check this out on dvd out of curiosity (his films are always intriguing if nothing else), but I'm not risking £7 on a cinema ticket after the mountain of negativity I've heard about this film.

Shame really. After his first 2 films I thought he might be the next Hitchcock (in a modern sense).
I was wrong....

Edit : I've always been impressed by his visual direction though. His films always contain lots of interesting and moody camera angles etc.
I just think it's time he stopped writing.
If he directed a good script written by a talented writer I think we might be onto a winner.

P.S. Yes, I'm a film nerd....
What the hell is his first name, anyway? I fucking hate people who reduce their first name to an initial, but expect you to use the rest of their name fully. If you have as hit first name, come up with an alias, damn it.

Anyway. Mustafa Shamalamalana is good at building suspense. He is shit at scripts and coherent, reasonable plots. Hence, most of his films build up a bit of tension and then blow it by being insultingly stupid or just trying way too hard.
nervouspete wrote:
Shame about Zooey being not so great in it...she has released a pretty awesome album, largely unheralded in the wake of Scarlet Johanson's duff Tom Wait's covers effort.
Good call -- might have to pick that up. And her album. :hat:
sinister agent wrote:
What the hell is his first name, anyway?

Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan
I really enjoyed 'The Village'.
The people are really friendly.

And macho.
This film is terrible. To think, I left a perfectly nice bar showing (what turned out to be a great game of) football with my nice work buddies to trek all the way out of town to see it. I didn't even have any time for proper food so the beers I had went straight to my head >:|

Did anyone else notice the boom-mic in shot during some scenes? I'm usually completely oblivious to that sort of thing, but the film was so uninvolving that I did.

8 fucking pounds it cost as well >:(
This film has taken a beating, and since the only thing I was interested in was what his hook/twist would be this time and this was revealed in the first post, I will refrain from watching this apparent tosh.

I enjoyed The Sixth Sense, and really enjoyed Unbreakable. I have The Village on DVD, but know the spoiler ending, so might not watch it.
Curiosity wrote:
since the only thing I was interested in was what his hook/twist would be this time and this was revealed in the first post

Yikes, didn't see that. I've spoilerified it now, just in case anyone is actually going to go and see it.
myoptika wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
since the only thing I was interested in was what his hook/twist would be this time and this was revealed in the first post

Yikes, didn't see that. I've spoilerified it now, just in case anyone is actually going to go and see it.

Yeah But I didnt say how they died. So only partial spolier.
LaceSensor wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Aye, and since the film is meant to be a big pile of gash, I'm not too fussed.

:)
Curiosity wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Aye, and since the film is meant to be a big pile of gash, I'm not too fussed.

:)

Tis a shame as the trailer made it look highly exciting.
It felt painfully pedestrian even at its fairly rapid pacing of 91 minutes.
The Happening is the "best B movie ever" says M Night ShadyO'Grady in this puff-piece CNN interview that fails to ask him why he's saying that if its total guff.

The clot.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Mov ... index.html

The best B-movie ever is arguably one of the following:

Targets
Kiss Me Deadly
Night of the Living Dead
Escape from New York.
The Thing

Fuck it, pretty much anything by John Carpenter.
Plissken wrote:
Escape from New York.
The Thing

Fuck it, pretty much anything by John Carpenter.

Ooh yeah! Stupid of me not to think of that. I wouldn't say his The Thing is though, it's a bit too high budget for a B movie and has a star in it. That's why I couldn't include Tremors. I would say that Howard Hawk's original The Thing possibly qualifies though, and that's ace too. I'd say Halloween does, just.

Joe Dante's The Howling, does that count? Probably too high budget again, although it was modest.

Targets really is a must see though, it's about a wholesome Happy Days lad who's a sniper vs the population of LA and actor Boris Karloff, and its only a few quid on Amazon.
Bad Taste is the best B-Movie

Carpenter Films are in a category of their own (Awesome - Class)
Budgets has nowt to do with it, Tremors is a B-movie and quite gleefully so.

I could possibly make a case for stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mars Attacks, Robocop and even Independence Day as "B-movies". Less about budget and more about attitude.

Oooh - here is a thought "B-movies don't exist any more. But cult movies do."
nervouspete wrote:
Ooh yeah! Stupid of me not to think of that. I wouldn't say his The Thing is though, it's a bit too high budget for a B movie and has a star in it.

If they can call The Happening a b-movie, with Mark Wahlberg and John Leguizamo starring, then I think The Thing would count.
Oooh! Oooh!

Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, Clancy Brown, Ellen Barkin.

All in one wonderful film, which is about as B-movie as you can get.
Craster wrote:
nervouspete wrote:
Ooh yeah! Stupid of me not to think of that. I wouldn't say his The Thing is though, it's a bit too high budget for a B movie and has a star in it.

If they can call The Happening a b-movie, with Mark Wahlberg and John Leguizamo starring, then I think The Thing would count.

Yes, but M Night Shambolic is talking out his arse.

A B movie is a short feature with a rushed production, low budget and lack of recognisable or 'marquee' stars made to play alongside a proper feature or as part of a limited release. Though this isn't so much the case anymore, you can call low budget films b-movies still. The difference is that M Night Chicannery has spent a lot of money, with a big publicity campaign, with bankable actors to produce a medium budget picture that is, incidently, complete gash.
Surely the film is terrible simply because of the title? THE HAPPENING?

What's next?

M. Night Shitehouse's THE THINGS WHAT OCCURRED?

M. Night Smegchugger's SEQUENCE OF EVENTS?

M. Night Smeartest's DESCRIPTION OF STUFF PUT TO FILM?
A FILM WHAT I MADE WITH A BIG PLOT TWIST RIGHT AT THE END.
Page 1 of 1 [ 33 posts ]