Combat Mission
Bash the Bosh or be the Bosh
With the recent discussion of TBS goodness (the only choice for real men) in another thread does anyone have any of the Combat Mission games? More importantly would anyone be up for some PBEM action?
I played the first one but sold it on when I was v.poor. It's a very good game though.
Man, I need to get a better PC. I wouldn't mind this, but my PC is such a clunky hunk of junk I doubt it could even get past the loading screen.
Squirt wrote:
Man, I need to get a better PC. I wouldn't mind this, but my PC is such a clunky hunk of junk I doubt it could even get past the loading screen.

They're pretty old games, the orig CM is at least 5 years old now.

EDIT

Ahh, here are the system specs for CM2 (2002)

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP operating system
Pentium 233MHz or better
64 MB RAM or better
DirectX 8.0 compatible
4 speed CD ROM or faster
1.1 GB of free disk space
I have:

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (CMBO) 2000
Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB) 2002

I'm also dead excited about the prospect of playing a game of combat mission. But I inevitablly get really annoyed by the way it works. I quite like the WEGO mechanism, it's just that I think 60 seconds is too long. Often something will happen in the first 2 seconds that I need to react to and all that happens is my little guys do something stupid and means I have to recover from it the next turn. Also, the order delays seem quite large given the overall size of the missions (in turns) and the length of time each turn represents.

Finally, I could never figure out how the damage worked. Sometimes a squad would get decimated when I thought it looked pretty safe, other times the opposite happened. I think it's a failing of the game to represent a squad of 8 or so men as one single object, especially when in some missions you only have a few squads and the placement of each man is very important. Of course, you shouldn't be able to control each of the little dudes, but at least in games like Close Combat (fantastic game series) you had a fairly good idea of what/where you little guys where and how safe they would be.

Though, thinking about it, in both CC and CM, Rifle Squads always seem to do bugger all, even though I know it's pretty damned easy to gun down nazis with a rifle from all the FPS games that I've played ;)
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]