No Man's Sky
This comes as no surprise all
As someone said:

"The best thing about my favourite game of all time is that it came out on the initial promised release date!"

Said nobody ever.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/01/no-man ... -30-hours/

Quote:
Although No Man’s Sky releases next week, a redditor called daymeeuhn got hold of an early copy of No Man’s Sky and began posting videos this weekend, prompting Hello Games founder Sean Murray to ask players not to spoil it for themselves.

Daymeeuhn seems to have agreed and has refused to share later game footage or explain what he’s found while playing, but he has made some mostly spoiler-free comments about No Man’s Sky’s systems which have clashed with what some had expected from the Hello Games space adventure.

The bit that’s really upsetting people is that there’s an easily-available resource which daymeeuhn claims can be used to fuel wrap jumps, allowing players to reach the centre of the galaxy – nominally the goal of No Man’s Sky – in about 30 hours.

“The pacing was going okay until I ran in to these and then it just skewed everything for me,” he wrote on No Man’s Sky subReddit, in a post later moved to the spoilers megathread.

Daymeeuhn said this isn’t an exploit or cheat, but an important and foregrounded game system. In response to reader suggestions that he has skipped most of the game in a race for the centre, he said he spent plenty of time on other activities.

I have a life and a job and hobbies. 30 hours is plenty, reddit weirdos.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

For an open-world exploration sim? Not sure.
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Read the rest of the article, there were still lots of things he hadn't done, or hadn't done much of. Sounds like what he did was roughly like finishing the main storyline in GTA but not starting in on GTA:Online.

I'm rolling off Arkham Knight, a game that clearly shows the perils of slavish kowtowing to the type of gamer who only cares about how many kejiggers there are to collect.
SPACESHIIIIIIIIIIIP
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Read the rest of the article, there were still lots of things he hadn't done, or hadn't done much of. Sounds like what he did was roughly like finishing the main storyline in GTA but not starting in on GTA:Online.

I'm rolling off Arkham Knight, a game that clearly shows the perils of slavish kowtowing to the type of gamer who only cares about how many kejiggers there are to collect.

Yeah, sounds as if he didn't really spend long at any of the planets/systems (or whtever they are in NMS) and just rocketed straight for the centre.

30 hours isn't bad, if that's the case - it takes roughly 40 hours to get to the centre of the universe in Elite: Dangerous apparently.
I am relieved it wasn't said it was rubbish.
Can you travel to the edge?
Zardoz wrote:

Yes.
Rimming is acceptable
Zardoz wrote:

Sure, it's where the streets have no name
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

But did they find what they were looking for?
Curiosity wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

But did they find what they were looking for?

Oh, you are the sweetest thing.

Even sweeter if you'd send me that game. ;)
Woo! Just got a text from Simply Games saying this has been dispatched via Royal Mail first class. Same shop that sent me Doom about three days early.
markg wrote:
Woo! Just got a text from Simply Games saying this has been dispatched via Royal Mail first class. Same shop that sent me Doom about three days early.

Wahay!
Mine says 10th :(
markg wrote:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/06/those- ... one-patch/

@VG247: #NoMansSky early buyers will find their progress wiped due to server reset, day-one patch.

https://t.co/oG8MliOhfn https://t.co/nYY89Mkmln
I'll doubt I'll get to put much time in before tomorrow anyway. Enjoying it so far but have yet to be blown away by it. Obviously it's really early and who knows what they only managed to get into the patch but I still have some reservations that discovering all these new and different planets might get a bit less awe-inspiring if they're only really different from one another in the same sort of way that snowflakes are. We'll see.
So the patch seems to be pretty substantial in terms of what it adds. It really needs to be. Probably played about six hours all told and as it is the game is nice enough but so very sparse as a sandbox experience. I didn't want leading by the nose but as it is there's just so few fun things to do in terms of goals you can set yourself etc. and also no challenge whatsoever so far other than that of persistence and repetition.
markg wrote:
So the patch seems to be pretty substantial in terms of what it adds. It really needs to be. Probably played about six hours all told and as it is the game is nice enough but so very sparse as a sandbox experience. I didn't want leading by the nose but as it is there's just so few fun things to do in terms of goals you can set yourself etc. and also no challenge whatsoever so far other than that of persistence and repetition.

Uhoh.
Like a sensible person I am going to wait for the reviews to hit.
Basically the same criticisms that have been levelled at E:D, then - a mile wide but an inch deep, effectively.
I'm still enjoying it, I think. It's quite hard to be objective about something you've waited so long for. There's definitely something there but it just needs building on, which it sounds as though that's what they're planning on doing even after this patch they're adding base-building and bigger ships etc. So I doubt I'll come to regret buying it.
Needs Pokémon.
No Man's Sky has an enormous day one patch that adds multiple endings

It seems you are now supposed to choose early among 3 "paths" and once chosen you have to stick to it. I don't like the sound of this, to be honest.
Patch downloaded now. I've deleted my save so I'll begin again later.
Zardoz wrote:
Needs Pokémon.

Title.
Just had a quick hour on it. Happy to report that the patch is a literal game-changer. Everything just looks and feels so much more alive, engaging and varied. Textures are massively better and there's not the awful pop-in. Feels more like a proper game now rather than an overly ambitious PSN title. Not been up into space yet but so far, fucking yes!
Good to know!
Yeah, wasn't at all bothered about getting it after your initial thoughts but now I am.
Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, wasn't at all bothered about getting it after your initial thoughts but now I am.

CSB
I've got lots of them.
I've got lots of them.
Still having fun with this. But even post-patch I can't see it remaining very interesting if you decide to ignore the main (only?) quest for any length of time. The zillions of stars thing is a pure gimmick when they are a bit like superhero movies, they all look superficially different but by the time you've seen three systems they just start to feel the same.

It's the same reservation I've had all along. I just don't think that fifteen clever people and some clever algorithms can generate a believable and entertaining open world game. That takes hundreds of people toiling away for years like they do on GTA games.

Still I got in some dog fights and that was fun and it's given me the motivation to want to earn money to get a better ship. Right now I'm thinking that it's a pretty fun game that does some really clever stuff and it's astonishing that it's been done by such a small team but I'm not going to be just exploring this universe for weeks on end once the quest is done. I dunno maybe others will get something from it that I'm not but so far it's good but it's not the new messiah.
That's why I'm so relieved my favourite open world survival simulation The Long Dark doesn't use procedural generation for its maps. The map design really is quite wonderful and memorable in the game. It'll take about eighty hours of game play to explore everything at least. There are folk posting on the steam forum that it should be infinite procedurally generated, which I think is just a terrible idea. The developers keep releasing a new big map every six months, eventually there'll be a massive island created and it'll really feel like a real, meaningful place.

I'm very impressed technically with No Man's Sky, and I dig the art design and concept. But I just can't figure how it'd keep me hooked. Beyond a certain number of stars surely scale becomes meaningless? If it weren't for Spore I'd be combusting with excitement, but the disappointment bit deep with that shallow game. Don't get me wrong, I reckon No Man's Sky is certain to be a better game than that. But I'm not convinced the mechanics of each planet will be variable enough to keep it interesting, and with each planet essentially disposable... where does the wonder come in?
Hmmm. I wasn't in time to cancel my pre-order, so it's coming; although I could always return it.

I suspect I'm only cautious because I spent £40 or so on Elite: Dangerous and then barely played it. But I am vaguely concerned I'm going to tire of this quickly and get buyer's remorse.

I may leave it sealed for a few days and see how I feel then. That would probably be the smart thing to do, although I am not that smart.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not near the point of jacking it in and I'm terrible for that with games once I lose interest, I have very little compulsion to finish them just for the sake of it.
This is a good article although he seems to have done in two hours what I spent about five doing:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/08/09/two- ... ky-a-diary

Maybe that's where I've been going wrong. Perhaps just steaming through would show off more stuff and make it feel a bit less sparse.
markg wrote:
I'm not near the point of jacking it

Title, obvs.
This sounds very much like I'm best off waiting until it's £25 and waiting for Rift support.
I really, really enjoyed playing this again last night, was spellbound by it all again. I don't know what to think. I'd make a terrible videogames reviewer.
Today! Hopefully!
markg wrote:
I really, really enjoyed playing this again last night, was spellbound by it all again. I don't know what to think. I'd make a terrible videogames reviewer.

Just patch your reviews every few days.
NervousPete wrote:
That's why I'm so relieved my favourite open world survival simulation The Long Dark doesn't use procedural generation for its maps. The map design really is quite wonderful and memorable in the game. It'll take about eighty hours of game play to explore everything at least. There are folk posting on the steam forum that it should be infinite procedurally generated, which I think is just a terrible idea. The developers keep releasing a new big map every six months, eventually there'll be a massive island created and it'll really feel like a real, meaningful place.

I'm very impressed technically with No Man's Sky, and I dig the art design and concept. But I just can't figure how it'd keep me hooked. Beyond a certain number of stars surely scale becomes meaningless? If it weren't for Spore I'd be combusting with excitement, but the disappointment bit deep with that shallow game. Don't get me wrong, I reckon No Man's Sky is certain to be a better game than that. But I'm not convinced the mechanics of each planet will be variable enough to keep it interesting, and with each planet essentially disposable... where does the wonder come in?

:this:

Watched a live stream of it, and although the visuals are beautiful, I also found it lacking in diversity. It seems to be one smudge coloured planet with chicken-like creatures after another. I'm not sure what the motivation to play is.
Crafting the worst game mechanic ever and unfortunately is creeping into every game nowadays.

Like Jeff Vogel wrote, "When i beat a boss, i want to get a legendary sword, not 1/10 of a legendary sword"

I hope crafting doesn't spoil this game.
My copy has been delivered... to work. I'm off sick and on leave tomorrow and Friday. Guess I have until Monday to decide if I'm keeping it or returning it, then.
I saw this headline earlier. Was the game ever made out to be a multi player experience or was it always intended as a single player game?
TheVision wrote:
I saw this headline earlier. Was the game ever made out to be a multi player experience or was it always intended as a single player game?

It's always been a bit unclear, but explains it in the article and comments.
Page 2 of 7 [ 302 posts ]