The PS Plus thread
FAQ & links in first post
I'm now on PSN: RetroAlarm. I have Saints Row: The Third on disc; have yet to play it online.
Meanwhile over at Microsoft:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 19.44.32.png

(Incredible work by Eurogamer's photo-department there.).
New games: Got.

Anyone see Payday though? I couldn't see it on the store.

You bet your ass I'll be burning though Ninja Gaiden again. Aces.
Saturnalian wrote:
New games: Got.

Anyone see Payday though? I couldn't see it on the store.

You bet your ass I'll be burning though Ninja Gaiden again. Aces.

It is there, I had to search for it manually though. If it's any good the dlc map pack is on offer for 2 quid rather than something daft like 8.
Got it. Thanks Runcle!
Does anyone know where I could find a full list of everything that's been released on ps+? It would be good to know what I've missed, since it won't be added again so if I'm interested ill look out for it in sales and such.
Runcle wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find a full list of everything that's been released on ps+? It would be good to know what I've missed, since it won't be added again so if I'm interested ill look out for it in sales and such.

I saw a list the other day and it upset me so much I expunged the games I've missed out on from my memory.

Don't do it.
Playstation Vita titles:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus Vita Edition On Play Station - it's Ninja Gaiden Sigma! Plus! The Vita Edition! On Play Station! Vita.

I always seem to forget that Ninja Gaiden was originally an Xbox One game. No, not Xbox One the First Xbox. Number One, if you will. Anyhoo, the graphics aren't terrible but it's looking a little boxy but I'll tell you this much: It's still the best Ninja Gaiden in recent years. It's fair but hard, there's never too much shit going on and it plays very nicely on the Vita. It's mainly ninja vs ninja action with significantly less awful shit demon and robot mashing that blighted Ninja Gaiden 2. Hang on, I got one! It's Ryu on Vita. It's Ry-Vita! Ho-ho. I'm ace me.
I've got a PS3 for the next 2 weeks, and I bought a PS+ subscription. *Claps hands in childish glee*

Free games! :DD
Cookie197 wrote:
bought [...] Free

?:|
Grim... wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
bought [...] Free

?:|

Ah, but my PS+ subscription WAS free. If you look at my earlier question (Page 2)
I got money for Sony Entertainment Network from Xperia Privilege for getting a Xperia Z. :)

[Edit] and before you say it, I didn't buy the phone either. :p
Sign up to NowTV for a 30-day free trial. Watch 90 minutes of content. In return, get 90 days of PS+ for free (will stack on top of your current sub, I believe): http://www.nowtv.com/promo/ps3?referrer ... 3offer__48
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sign up to NowTV for a 30-day free trial. Watch 90 minutes of content. In return, get 90 days of PS+ for free (will stack on top of your current sub, I believe): http://www.nowtv.com/promo/ps3?referrer ... 3offer__48

Done. Mrs B used that service to watch some tennis match a while back and the streaming wasn't brilliant but we'll manage something for the sake of three months of free PS3 games. Hmm, I'm probably not going to get to The Last of Us next now am I?
Except bollocks; I've only just seen the small print that says you need to enter a code while signing up for the trial which, of course, I'd didn't do. I really shouldn't do this kind of thing while half cut.
:belm:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I need to set a reminder for myself to join this when I get back from hols. It runs til 9 Aug, which is nice.
Just tried signing up for this and there was nowhere to put the voucher code in during signup. It says that a voucher is already applied. Absolute bullshit.
Oh, according to these it's already applied via the link:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-90 ... al-1599502

Cool.
Ha ha, oh wow; NowTV is the biggest piece of shit. Having signed up for it I thought I'd give it a shot tonight so we installed the PS3 app earlier on. Hilariously, straight after installation, it demanded a patch before it would launch; because apparently the version of the app sitting waiting to be installed isn't even the latest one. *sigh* Having sorted that we launched the actual app. About five minutes of things flashing up and random black screens got us to some kind of splash screen.

Application updated. Please restart.

I, but, what? Well, okay...

*launches app*

*again*

More flashing, more black screens, another splash screen, an actual menu! Sweet, I can navigate the movie selection and it's pretty good. It's hampered by the same weird interface most PS3 apps have but eventually I find and select the Avengers film.

More random flashing shit, a couple more black screens, a spinning icon. Things are buffering! We're close! We're... wait, why has nothing happened for aaaaages? Hmmm. I need to use the pad to quit the app. I'll try again.

Blah, blah, spinning icon. Still spinning. Still spin...bugger, everything's stopped. Check with pad. Oh, entire console has locked up. Physical power button won't even do anything and I'm having to reach behind the thing and yank the power cord out of it. Yeah, fuck this shit.

Half an hour later, sitting in front of the house PC, I thought I'd try it again just to see. Ah, the website uses Silverlight, because of course it does. Log in, find Avengers movie and select it. Spinning icon. More spinning icon. Even more spinning icon. Fuck. Try a different film. More spinning icon. Maybe it's our net connection, God knows it sucks at times. Try recent YouTube video at 1080p; plays quickly and flawlessly. Try HD iPlayer episode; plays quickly and flawlessly.

Yeah, fuck Silverlight and fuck any company that expects anyone to pay to use it. Also fuck their dedicated app; my PS3 has never hard locked up on me in all the time I've had it but I try to stream one Sky film and its on it knees. Fuck. That. Shit.
Later: I wonder if there's an Android app? There is, but its only compatible with eight Android devices. Eight devices, out of all the handsets and tablets on the market. Indie developers all over can manage comparability with shedloads of devices in one fell swoop but a company the size of Sky can just about manage eight?! Oh, and seven out of the eight are over two years old. Fucking hell.
I signed up for NowTV in January on Xbox. For the free trial you got 800 ms points. Free ms point! Email. Pay 9 quid get 1600 ms points, that's pretty cheap for that many points go on. Another email pay 9 quid again and get 2400 points, bargain, go on. Still no points received though despite it saying they would come a month after the free trial.

Email, sorry your points are delayed, here's a free sports day pass, I use it on the Tyne wear derby, lose my stream on Xbox, try it on my PC, shit resolution, try it again on my Xbox, too many connected devices. Customer Services, reset stuff, missed 10 minutes and a goal. This shit costs 10 quid a day if you actually pay for it.

April, on a bi weekly basis I talked to the online customer services about not receiving any points, finally managed to get 2400 in may. Still haven't recieved the other half after another 2 chats. About 4 times they've promised they were getting sent out and only once they've actually sent the damn things. Useless service throughout.
In summary
Leaving PS Plus in July/August:
31st July: Battlefield 3
31st July: Catherine
31st July: Malicious
31st July: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
31st July: Unit 13

Entering PS Plus in July/August:
31st July: Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS3)
31st July: Mafia 2 (PS3)
31st July: Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
31st July: Lego Lord of the Rings (Vita)
31st July: When Vikings Attack! (Vita)
I'll be interested to see what PSNers think of Spec Ops: The Line. Also I loved Mafia 2 despite it's mediocre reception by most.
I can't say I'm overly fussed about any of those. Good, between the last couple of months of PS+ and the Steam Summer Sale, I've got plenty to be getting on with.
Spec Ops is outstanding. All should play it.
Yeah, looking forward to that one.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I've just dismissed it as a CoD/BF clone without actually looking to see what it's about. I'm obviously missing something.
Yeah, I'd dismissed Spec Ops, but I've heard a few people saying good things about it.

I've had NFS:MW on the Vita since it launched and it is a terrific game, so it'll be nice to be able to play it on the big screen. I'm sure I saw somewhere that Vita and PS3 saves synchronise for that one too, but I could be wrong. Mafia II could be interesting, so I'll definitely be checking that out.

I've never been especially fond of the Lego games, but When Vikings Attack could be a laugh on the Vita I suppose.

I must admit I have a proper pile of shame coming from this PS+ lark. I've barely touched the vast majority of the games I've downloaded via it.
I maxed Lego LOTR on the Xbox 360 (my last ever 360 max, fact fans!) - it was fun, but I don't want to play it again.
SilentElk wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I've just dismissed it as a CoD/BF clone without actually looking to see what it's about. I'm obviously missing something.

It's third rather than first-person so you're dismissing it wrong.

To be fair the actual game part of the game wasn't anything special I didn't think; it was well enough executed but doesn't differ massively from yer Gears of Wars. The praise it's reaped is for the story and characters though and it's definitely worth playing for those aspects. Especially if you check out all the endings which you can easily do from a single final save point.
Bamba wrote:
To be fair the actual game part of the game wasn't anything special I didn't think; it was well enough executed but doesn't differ massively from yer Gears of Wars. The praise it's reaped is for the story and characters though and it's definitely worth playing for those aspects. Especially if you check out all the endings which you can easily do from a single final save point.

My interest is piqued. The Last of Us is the best game I've played in the last few years, and that's mainly to do with the story and characters rather than the actual gameplay mechanics.
Yes. The gameplay is routine third-person cover shooter. Solid, but not special. But the story is a rollercoaster mindfuck and it has at least one scene which is a highlight for this generation of gaming:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Willie Pete.
SilentElk wrote:
Bamba wrote:

My interest is piqued. The Last of Us is the best game I've played in the last few years, and that's mainly to do with the story and characters rather than the actual gameplay mechanics.

If you want a bit more info there's a Guardian review here that doesn't ruin anything at all but gives better info than I have so it's worth a read. It also picks up on an aspect I'd forgotten about which is the excellent setting of the thing; the juxtaposition of the desert with the ruined luxury of the empty Dubai skyscrapers is very well done. Also, I think the reviewer there was actually too harsh on the game itself as I don't remember having any of the hassle he mentions with the controls. Anyway, I'll shut up now.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes. The gameplay is routine third-person cover shooter. Solid, but not special. But the story is a rollercoaster mindfuck and it has at least one scene which is a highlight for this generation of gaming:

Willie Pete.

The other bit that really stayed with me was when

the locals lynch Lugo and you've got the choice of either taking revenge or just scaring them away. In any other game it would be black and white and shooting them would be the right thing to do but in Spec Ops you know what US military and CIA personnel (yourself included) have done to the city so it's hard not to understand, if not condone, their reaction.
I don't think it helps that it has a really awful name.
SilentElk wrote:
I don't think it helps that it has a really awful name.

That's because obviously no one would buy a game unless it was related to a ten year old PS2 game they'd never heard of even when the new game has nothing whatsoever in common with any of the previous ones. Obviously.
I can't believe Sony have picked an eight year old driving game for this month. Worse than Microsoft.
The shape of things to come now that the battle for hearts and minds has been won.
SilentElk wrote:
I can't believe Sony have picked an eight year old driving game for this month. Worse than Microsoft.

You mean that Microsoft who decided that the second 'free' game they were going to offer all their gold customers was an XBLA title that they were selling when new for $5 ? :p
Psst I think it might be the new Most Wanted.
I've just received my free 90 day PSN+ voucher from that Now TV trial which is unexpectedly quick of them. It comes in a dirty great Bluray type box which is pretty unnecessary but still: free stuff! The timing's pretty much terrible mind as I've only just started The Last of Us and I'm not picking anything else up until I'm done with that. I really, really hoping Shadow of the Colossus is still up there by the time I get round to using this as I need to sound convincing when I'm telling Satunalian it's awful just to see if I can make his head explode.
If you haven't used the code yet, wait until the day before they change the games and you'll possibly get an extra month worth of games.
Also have we got a list of everyone usernames on PS3?
Runcle wrote:
If you haven't used the code yet, wait until the day before they change the games and you'll possibly get an extra month worth of games.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to activate the card until I'm actually ready. I've got another code somewhere else for a month's free trial so I'm going to see if they'll stack.
Runcle wrote:
Also have we got a list of everyone usernames on PS3?

viewtopic.php?t=92

Well, it would be if people filled in their profile, at any rate.
Bamba wrote:
I've just received my free 90 day PSN+ voucher from that Now TV trial which is unexpectedly quick of them. It comes in a dirty great Bluray type box which is pretty unnecessary but still: free stuff! The timing's pretty much terrible mind as I've only just started The Last of Us and I'm not picking anything else up until I'm done with that. I really, really hoping Shadow of the Colossus is still up there by the time I get round to using this as I need to sound convincing when I'm telling Satunalian it's awful just to see if I can make his head explode.

Oi! I do wonder what people might think though if, say, they're used to the games of today of the kind that hold your hands throughout. Plus, the camera was always a bit wayward.

Still, it's the greatest. :)
Any other PS+ subscribers want to give Payday a go? I could organise a night if so.
My PS+ sub has run out. I assume if I leave it and come back int the future, all the games I downloaded will be available again?
I didn't use it enough to pay full price for the service, but i'll keep an eye out for a £20 deal.
Trooper wrote:
My PS+ sub has run out. I assume if I leave it and come back int the future, all the games I downloaded will be available again?

Yes.
SilentElk wrote:
Any other PS+ subscribers want to give Payday a go? I could organise a night if so.

at is Payday?
SilentElk wrote:

I'd like to try this. Is it coop against the "computer", or is it team vs team?

My main problem with PS3 multiplayer gaming is that I don't have a headset. And I'm sort of holding off buying one until I know whether it would work with the PS4 as well.
Page 2 of 31 [ 1501 posts ]