Crafty stuff
I'm making things!
I used to have a hand-me-down knitted ( or possibly crotched ) tie. It was awesome. Please make me a replacement - pom-poms would be a welcome extra.
Knitting isn't sewing, don't you know anything?
Next stop for Trooper

I'm enjoying this thread. :)
Trooper wrote:
Oh, and i've ordered some books on how to do wedding crafty stuff, I'll probably make the favour boxes and the like, I expect.
Ooooh, i've had an idea...

I might start a blog or something, a buffoons attempt at learning to sew.

'Buffoon' is one of my top ten favourite words.
MaliA wrote:
He needs to reupholster his masculinity.

That's so much better coming from you.
Maybe trooper could rustle up some doilies for your panniers?
Mrs T wants me to make her a dress. This should be a laugh.
Tabard. Sew the sides up. Done.
Sack. Cut arm holes. Done.
I think we should get Trooper on the Great British Seeing Bee
Mimi wrote:

Is his eyesight that good?
TheVision wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Is his eyesight that good?

lol
Mimi wrote:

Hi
\
Attachment:
great british seeing bee.JPG

Malc
Squirt wrote:
Sack. Cut arm holes. Done.

*crosses legs*
I have bought tie material. One awful colour satin to practice on (£4 a metre!) and some proper champagne colour satin for the real thing (£15 a metre)
Tada!

It's a tie!

Sure, the finishing around the lining is awful, but this is pretty much the first thing I have ever properly sewed, let alone doing it all by hand, so hopefully that will be better next time.
But, it's a tie, an actual tie, it looks like a tie, it ties like a tie.

A few issues, satin is a fucking awful material to work with and the pattern was actually a bit crap, so i'm going to do my own next time. I don't see why I have to make it in 3 bits, why can't I just cut it all out in one piece?
I thought this thread couldn't get any worse, but now you're a confirmed Satinist.
Well done! You going to have another practice on the cheap material?
Between this and the cupcake business, you two are Louie Spence's wet dream ;)
sdg wrote:
Well done! You going to have another practice on the cheap material?

Aye, thicker interfacing this time and my own pattern this time. Skinny tie version :D
GazChap wrote:
Between this and the cupcake business, you two are Louie Spence's wet dream ;)

I made a focaccia yesterday too, it was lovely :D
Two different types of finish on the lining.

The top one was first attempt, much better than the last tie but I don't like the visibile stitches.
Underneath one was invisible slip stitching, which is much nicer, just need to work on getting it straight and tight.

Skinny tie! (Ignore the tie with short sleeve shirt faux pas, it's just the shirt I was wearing at the time...)

Next tie will be slightly thicker than that and in the proper material, and i'll take a lot more time over it all.
I wear short sleeve shirts with ties for work in summer, what's the problem?

Theyre not satin ones though. That I've made myself.
Nice work on the tie! I read a bit on why ties have a three part construction today but I've lost the link. Basically a balance between flexibility via cutting in the bias and stability from those joins.

As a complete side point I really love your shirt!
Zardoz wrote:
I wear short sleeve shirts with ties for work in summer, what's the problem?

Theyre not satin ones though. That I've made myself.

You have to be young and hip to be able to get away with a tie and short sleeves, and only if the tie is loosely tied.
Exceptions can be made for work though, if it's a practical heat matter yet you still need to wear a tie.

Other than that, it's a sartorial no no...
Just wear a long sleeve and roll it up.
It's a shooting offence.
Mimi wrote:
Nice work on the tie! I read a bit on why ties have a three part construction today but I've lost the link. Basically a balance between flexibility via cutting in the bias and stability from those joins.

As a complete side point I really love your shirt!

Ta :D

I know why I need to cut it on the bias now at least, as you can see on the second tie which was cut against the bias, the stitching is gaping as there isn't the flex in the cloth to sit properly. That's one lesson learnt :)

This tie was a one piece construction. I really can't see what a three piece will give me that this one doesn't? Other than being less wasteful of fabric.

Another brainwave! I can invert the tie and machine stitch the lining piece! Not sure how to get it a quarter inch inside when inverted back though, yet still keep the front straight and non-puckered, that may be something I actually need to google rather than try and work out :)
DavPaz wrote:

This is acceptable.
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

This is acceptable.

Only acceptable if it is double cuff shirt, and only then if you are performing open heart surgery following a traffic accident by the side of the road.
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

This is acceptable.

Only acceptable if it is double cuff shirt, and only then if you are performing open heart surgery following a traffic accident by the side of the road.

Oh, I thought that went without saying?
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

This is acceptable.

Oh, I thought that went without saying?

It does, however as part of my ongoing project in The North, I must embark on a project of sartorial codefication. And then teach the North to read.
Next you'll be saying that we should not wear black shoes with jeans or something.
DavPaz wrote:
Next you'll be saying that we should not wear black shoes with jeans or something.

What colour jeans?
My impending mother in law has a brand new sewing machine that she has never used and is coming to me in a few weeks :) I knew it was a good idea not to buy a new one myself...
Stay tuned sewing fans, more stuff will coming. I know you are all waiting patiently.
Bobbyaro needs to post in this thread, as he made a fantastic foam mallet.
What are you making next, Trooper?
More tie practice, or a dress for Mrs T I expect...
Oh, please tell me you're going to make her wedding dress.
Cras wrote:

That's what everyone asks. She doesn't know it yet, but yes.
That'll be a nice romantic surprise won't it?
Totally. Best surprise ever.
Trooper wrote:
Cras wrote:

That's what everyone asks. She doesn't know it yet, but yes.
That'll be a nice romantic surprise won't it?

People keep on asking if I'm going to knit my own wedding dress. I'm getting tired of pretending to find the question funny.
I am going to knit my wedding shawl, though
And possibly my bouquet.
Knit the church and the vicar!
I went to a wedding once and the couple did a symbolic inter-twining thing with ribbons as part of the service. If I can remember what the ritual was called I'll post a jokey reference to it here.
Page 2 of 17 [ 814 posts ]