Crafty stuff
I'm making things!
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Oooh, really Jazzy? That would be super wonderful!!! :luv:

I'll pack it up this weekend. :)
Look at this bad boy!

Much neater lining stitching.

Note the X tie stitch at each end.

and the invisible ladder stitch up the centre!

Just need to add a loop on the back and i'm done with the first tie :)
Well done Troops, you really are a sewy wonder :)
I have to alter the dress my mum bought me because it's too big on the shoulders. The thought of taking needle and thread to a Vivienne Westwood dress makes me feel sick. It's really heavy taffeta so I have to somehow find a needle that is kick ass strong but also really thin so it doesn't leave holds in the fabric... Ideas anyone? Needle reviews?
TheFireFaerie wrote:
I have to alter the dress my mum bought me because it's too big on the shoulders. The thought of taking needle and thread to a Vivienne Westwood dress makes me feel sick. It's really heavy taffeta so I have to somehow find a needle that is kick ass strong but also really thin so it doesn't leave holds in the fabric... Ideas anyone? Needle reviews?

Drive to Buxton and see MrsA's mother. She'll do it. Tell her I sent you and you'll be golden.
MaliA wrote:
TheFireFaerie wrote:

Drive to Buxton and see MrsA's mother. She'll do it. Tell her I sent you and you'll be golden.

If I had the time I would!! But alas, I don't, so it's all on me. I'm actually a pretty good seamstress, but I have "DON'T MESS THIS UP" pressure in my head
TheFireFaerie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
TheFireFaerie wrote:

If I had the time I would!! But alas, I don't, so it's all on me. I'm actually a pretty good seamstress, but I have "DON'T MESS THIS UP" pressure in my head

I would advise you to purchase a spare dress of equal or greater awesomeness. And it has cleared up the confusion, as I thought you weere really happy as you'd got a paper bag for your birthday.
MaliA wrote:
TheFireFaerie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
TheFireFaerie wrote:

I would advise you to purchase a spare dress of equal or greater awesomeness. And it has cleared up the confusion, as I thought you weere really happy as you'd got a paper bag for your birthday.

:p Apparently some other people thought this too. Why anyone would think that when it's me we're talking about, is beyond me. It was only ever going to be something to wear...

Sadly, purchasing another dress of the same awesomeness is not only unlikely, but incredibly unaffordable! I shall just have to make sure I don't balls it up.
No pressure.

Tic toc tic toc...
Duct tape solves most problems.
Curiosity wrote:
No pressure.

Tic toc tic toc...

Are we still talking about the dress, or my impending getting old?
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
No pressure.

Tic toc tic toc...

Are we still talking about the dress, or my impending getting old?

A little bit from column A...
Tomorrow I am going to attempt to make a badger.
I'm trying to add Troopers blog, but it just keeps defaulting to WordPress. :(
:shrug: are you adding it from the Wordpress URL or the domain I setup?
Trooper wrote:

WordPress I think, can you give me the URL, I can't detect anamatuersews at all.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Trooper wrote:

WordPress I think, can you give me the URL, I can't detect anamatuersews at all.

Domain : http://www.anamateursews.co.uk
Wordpress : http://anamateursews.wordpress.com/
RSS feed : http://anamateursews.wordpress.com/feed/
Shortlink : http://wp.me/3yXgW

One of those should sort you out I expect :D
I walked back into the living room at one point to find this.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373120339.646917.jpg
Nightmares are made of this.
Nice badger! Very professional looking :)

More tie stuff!

Final touch on the tie was to add the holding loop on the back. I tried to make one out of satin, but the edges frayed way too much. A quick trip to John Lewis to pick up some ribbon and this was the result.

Here it is, modeled in inimitable fashion by yours truly.

Nicely done!

A quick tip: satin ribbon can be stopped from fraying by holding the cut end near a lighter flame. Not in the flame, just about half a centimetre from it - it melts and fuses the edges of the cut fibres together, so is really handy for any applications such as your tie loop.
Because I had my sewing machine out anyway earlier I made a huge cushion from the rainbow I had crocheted from my hand-spun yarn.
Cras wrote:
Would.

Trooper, or the badger?
Mimi wrote:
Nicely done!

A quick tip: satin ribbon can be stopped from fraying by holding the cut end near a lighter flame. Not in the flame, just about half a centimetre from it - it melts and fuses the edges of the cut fibres together, so is really handy for any applications such as your tie loop.

Oooh, thanks for the tip :) Hopefully this should hold for what I need it for, the tie only needs to last one day.
That badger is awesome!

Trooper - good work! I hope you don't stop making things after the wedding though.
He will have a wife then.
And how precisely will that change matters? Have a good old think before answering ;)
Cras wrote:
And how precisely will that change matters? Have a good old think before answering ;)

:DD
Trooper wrote:

That isn't you, it's Bobbyaro.
SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That isn't you, it's Bobbyaro.

I said that at the cottage and was told off for it!

Malc
With more hair, obv.
Woah. Trooper has a face. Weird.
Tff, this is the one I have if you still want it?
I bet its not as easy as it says there.
Trooper your tie looks great, well done!

Mimi I adore that rainbow cushion :luv:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Tff, this is the one I have if you still want it?

Thank you again for this, it's perfect for making card inserts! :luv:
Thanks, Gill - only just seen your post.

Related to Trooper's fine work, I am knocking magazine commissions in the head for a bit* to make my own wedding shawl! It's super 'citing!

*apart from where a magazine said 'oh, that's a shame, we had some gorgeous yarn for you to design with. Are you sure, it's gorgeous yarn you know. Really gorgeous. [gorgeous yarn pic] look!'

Then I said 'SEND IT TO ME'. Fool.
I'm jumping on Trooper's bandwagon with the handmade wedding attire. I had a few messages from friends when I said I was contemplating making myself a wedding shawl to sy yes, do it, because they each really regretted not having something handmade at their own weddings, so for the last couple of weeks I have been knitting a wedding shawl in my evenings.

It took about 700m of lace-weight yarn and about 500 tiny glass beads (which you can only barely see in those pictures). There are a load of other pictures (including a couple where you can see the beads a bit better) in this blog post.

I've packed the shawl away safely and away from moths now because, goodness, can you imagine how awful that would be :'(
That's really beautiful Mimi.
The missus now crochets, apparently
Thanks Guys :)

I love how you've put 'apparently', Davpaz, like perhaps she doesn't and perhaps goes of welding, instead.
:) Could be pedigree sheep breeding for all I know!
That is gorgeous Mimi, it's crazy to think you handmade something so delicate and pretty.
sdg wrote:
That is gorgeous Mimi, it's crazy to think you handmade something so delicate and pretty.

:this:

Very impressive!
Mimi that's absolutely amazing!! Beautiful :)
Page 4 of 17 [ 814 posts ]