PS4 confirmed
That's what they're calling it
the xbone abridged was amazing but that ps4 one is on a whole nother plane.
I tried watching one of them, but dude with the 'sarcastic Chris Morris wannabe who wouldn't even make it onto the 11 O'Clock Show' delivery made me close it in a hurry.
I thought it was fucking funny.
I liked the Mad Max bit. Some of it was very good, some bits less so, but overall worth a watch.
I was talking to my 11 year old nephew yesterday and he was saying he was going to swap to PS4(after originally having a PS3 and switching to Xbox360) because everyone at school was going to get one despite most of his friends being Xbox360 players.

I didn't think the negativity towards the new Xbox would have had much coverage past mature gamers but it seems it's going through all ages, even to demographics which you'd imagine would be rife with brand loyalty and fanboyism.
Runcle wrote:
I didn't think the negativity towards the new Xbox would have had much coverage past mature gamers but it seems it's going through all ages, even to demographics which you'd imagine would be rife with brand loyalty and fanboyism.

Its defiantly hitting mainstream media - here's an example from The Guardian today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... um=twitter

Quote:
Microsoft's Xbox One misadventure: is there a reverse gear?

The tech giant's flawed strategy in areas such as sharing games has been highlighted at E3 – and poses real risks for the future
zaphod79 wrote:
Its defiantly hitting mainstream media

"Fuck you mainstream media!"
zaphod79 wrote:
Runcle wrote:

Its defiantly hitting mainstream media - here's an example from The Guardian today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... um=twitter

Quote:
Microsoft's Xbox One misadventure: is there a reverse gear?

The tech giant's flawed strategy in areas such as sharing games has been highlighted at E3 – and poses real risks for the future

interesting point in the comments:

Quote:
To tap more revenue from the young, Microsoft Business Development forgets the basic principle: a major chunk of gamers need to sell their played copies so they can afford to buy new games.

MaliA wrote:

interesting point in the comments:

Quote:
To tap more revenue from the young, Microsoft Business Development forgets the basic principle: a major chunk of gamers need to sell their played copies so they can afford to buy new games.

They still kind of can, but not easily, and think of the rubbish trade-in values they'll offer.
MS have fucked this one so hard they're giving birth to their own mother.
BikNorton wrote:
And xbone has an external PSU. And is 70% vents. And is less powerful.

Jesus Christ Microsoft.

That may just mean that the PS4 will have more thermal reliability issues this time round.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
That may just mean that the PS4 will have more thermal reliability issues this time round.

It might - my launch PS3 definitely worked the fans hard when it was running for a while
Wow , that is compact. MS have probably put water cooling in there's after RROD problems on the 360. I bet there's a hose connector on the back ;)
There's! Gawd, you can tell how hungover I am. :D
Not sure if anyone here listens to the bombcast or giant bomb but at the end of their last E3 post show one of the Sony Exec's surprised them by having one of the new PS4's for them to look at

Long stream (the link below is to the Sony bit) - at the start Microsoft are on and bring one of their new controllers for them to see as well (around the 30 minute mark if you want to rewind)

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/416674255?t=204m40s

Really interesting stream , which the guy from Sony talks about the outcry around DRM and how they setup the indie stuff on stage / how they came up with and posted the video about how to share games on the PS4

That also gave them the chance to compare sizes of the console to something that people may recognize

Playing my PS3 has reminded me of the some of the things that irritated me about it and has raised questions about the PS4. The video someone posted earlier (DocG I think?) about the dashboard was good because it looked much better than what the PS3 has, so I'm hoping that will be ok.
Does anyone know if they have mentioned what they are going to do about multiple profiles signed in together? Obviously on the Xbox we are used to playing a game and both being signed in on seperate controllers for coop/vs play and so we both earn xp or achievements. Please tell me that's going to be built in as standard on PS4?
Any word on what the trophy implementation is going to be like? I'm guessing they'll stick with trophies but I'd really prefer if they just copied the gamerscore format even more!
Basically, can it be what the Xbone SHOULD have been?

:DD
Curiosity wrote:
Basically, can it be what the Xbone SHOULD have been?

:DD

Heh, pretty much, yes! If they could merge Xbox and playstation, so as the next console is the 360++ with the ps exclusives I'd be happy :)
There is still no doubt in my mind that the 360 has a far superior user interface but in its current state, there's no way I'm buying a Xbox one so I just have to hope that Sony steal all the good bits of the 360 :p
Is the new GTA coming out on the next gen consoles or this gen only? I think I'll get it for the 360 for achievements and so I don't have to bloody update it before I play it! Also, I doubt I could last from 17th Sept 'til new console day to play GTA :)
Hmm... When is this actually going to be released and do we expect it to sell out?
What with the wedding at the end of November, timing could be tricky. I'm going to have a little bit of downtime between the wedding and honeymoon, so a PS4 would be a nice wedding present to play with, I think :D But I won't be able to pick one up before the wedding even if it is released by then, that is for sure. Nor while im sunning it up in Cancun...

I've pre-ordered one from Amazon, as I don't want to get back from me hols, only to find they are all sold out and I can't get one before xmas, but will I be able to be around to get it delivered, is the question...

This is all on the expectation that it will sell out, which going by currently feeling wouldn't surprise me at all.
Trooper wrote:
Hmm... When is this actually going to be released and do we expect it to sell out?

The rumors are November for both , and I'm not sure about selling out but I would expect shortages for both consoles around launch time which is why all the shops are trying to hype up the 'pre-order now or else' bandwagon
Trooper wrote:
I believe Amazon US are not longer guaranteeing launch day deliver for pre-orders taken today. No-one really knows though, I imagine it'll be a good while get before retailers know exactly how much day one stock they'll receive.
If you preorder from amazon, do they debit your card when it's dispatched? Is there a deposit?
Are there any advantages to preordering from one place vs another?
Oh also, historically do consoles usually launch on a weekend or weekday? Because that would determine if I should preorder online or from a shop with a midnight opening.
As far as I know, consoles normally launch on a week day and I believe Amazon only take money once the item has shipped.
sdg wrote:
If you preorder from amazon, do they debit your card when it's dispatched? Is there a deposit?

Yes. No. Not much, depends how much you trust them not to bigger something up.
sdg wrote:

Amazon dont bill you until its dispatched , and they do not take a deposit (or have not done up till now) - most retail places are taking a £20 deposit

Previous UK console launches

PS3 - 23rd March 2007 - Friday
Xbox360 - 2nd Dec 2005 - Friday
Wii-U - 30th Nov 2012 - Friday

PS2 - 24th Nov 2000 - Friday

Very quickly grabbed from Wikipedia but it seems that Friday is a common day for console launches
Is there somewhere I could look, or someone I could ask (on twitter or whatever) to find out if the ps4 will support things like two profiles signed in at once? I'd hate to preorder on then find something like that was missing.
Hmm, that's good info thanks Zaphod, if that's the case I'll probably just order online, no point getting it at midnight then working three 12 hour shifts.
Aye, the way I see it, pre-ordering via amazon is a no brainer at the moment, if you are someone who wants one at launch.
You can always cancel, or swap to someone else once more details come out, but this way you are in the system while they are still accepting pre-orders.
Well I've preordered at amazon for now, I'll need to buy an extra controller nearer the time as well so I don't know if I should preorder that. I also have no idea what games I'm going to want but I can keep an eye on that as we get closer to the time. Anyone else preordered games already?
The main advantage to preordering is securing the best price, like how I got my Wii U for £200 by preordering.

Toys R Us are doing a PS4 for £335.
Didn't Toys R Us nearly go bust a while back? I seem to recall that the only thing that they have in common with the far bigger US group is their name. Could be risky.
Seems I'm talking arse. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose.
Trooper wrote:
I've pre-ordered one from Amazon
Me too! Except by "pre-ordered" I mean "subscribed for" and "one" I mean bin bags.
BikNorton wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I've pre-ordered one from Amazon
Me too! Except by "pre-ordered" I mean "subscribed for" and "one" I mean bin bags.

This is a superb idea!
As ever, I'm waiting for enough interesting games, and also some verification it's not shit before putting down any money.

Seems only sensible.
Mr Dave wrote:
As ever, I'm waiting for enough interesting games, and also some verification it's not shit before putting down any money.

Seems only sensible.

At the other end of the scale, I've just pulled the pre-order trigger.
Grim... in 'confirmed non-sensible' non-shocker.
Pulled two triggers, actually ;)
Mr Dave wrote:

Seems only sensible.

I have just not preordered one too.
I've decided to never "pre-order" anything ever based on my past experience of never being unable to get my grubby hands on anything I wanted at launch day. Ever.

The hardest thing I ever had to do was walk into a 2nd shop to get GTA IV.
Grim... wrote:
Pulled two triggers, actually ;)

Confirmed least sensible.
zaphod79 wrote:
sdg wrote:

Amazon dont bill you until its dispatched , and they do not take a deposit (or have not done up till now) - most retail places are taking a £20 deposit

Previous UK console launches

PS3 - 23rd March 2007 - Friday
Xbox360 - 2nd Dec 2005 - Friday
Wii-U - 30th Nov 2012 - Friday

PS2 - 24th Nov 2000 - Friday

Very quickly grabbed from Wikipedia but it seems that Friday is a common day for console launches

Blimes, didn't realise the gap between 360 and PS3 was that large.
PS3 was a full year later, and then another five months later again in Europe.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... -thing-eve

Quote:
There is no perfect controller, as everyone is looking for slightly different things in how they control their games. That being said, the PlayStation 4 controller may be the best thing since sliced bread.

I think Kuchera is a bit of a dick, but this is just the latest in a very long line of glowing hands-on reviews of the DS4.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-playstation-4-conroller-is-just-slightly-better-than-the-best-thing-eve

Quote:
There is no perfect controller, as everyone is looking for slightly different things in how they control their games. That being said, the PlayStation 4 controller may be the best thing since sliced bread.

I think Kuchera is a bit of a dick, but this is just the latest in a very long line of glowing hands-on reviews of the DS4.

Quote:
It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

It's nice to know it's a good controller and all but Jesus Christ.
Ben Kuchera wrote:
It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

Christ.
Ben Kuchera wrote:
Yesterday I felt my next child move for the first time. I felt her tiny feet kick through my wife's belly, my hand finally being given its first tactile evidence that my child is alive and healthy. That experience was several steps higher than feeling the PlayStation 4 controller for the first time but, damnit, they were closer than I'm comfortable admitting.

Really? Really?
Isn't he just using hyperbole to send up the rest of the press? Or is everything written like that?
I don't think he's that smart.
Page 6 of 52 [ 2598 posts ]