PS4 confirmed
That's what they're calling it
The Xbone is smaller than it looks as well, apparently.
Region free! Brilliant.

I've already encountered the annoyance of my 3DS being region locked, I'm glad we got that for this.

Also, the Xbox one, does feature a power brick. Not that I can remember if my PS3 or Xbox 360 have them. Not a deal breaker either way, but interesting.
https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/ ... 7438126080

If one account on the PS4 has PSN+, then all accounts can play online. You don't need to pay out twice for your other half's account, unlike Gold.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/344369977438126080

If one account on the PS4 has PSN+, then all accounts can play online. You don't need to pay out twice for your other half's account, unlike Gold.

Lol, it's almost like Sony have kept quiet about everything purely so they can spend a whole day smugly delivering one body blow after another to Microsoft.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Superb!
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Lol, it's almost like Sony have kept quiet about everything purely so they can spend a whole day smugly delivering one body blow after another to Microsoft.

They must just be laughing themselves silly at the moment.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Microsoft said other accounts on the Xbone can play online with your Xbox Live Gold.
No Eyetoy in the box apparently.
I've just thought how this will play even more into Sony's hand.

Typically people come to their decision of which one to by much further into the consoles life, but people like me - who are very far from early adopters of consoles (I got my PS3 last year) - suddenly have strong certainty which console they will get.

This has made me even start thinking about getting a launch unit.

Overall I think this will push a lot of people to purchase early in the lifecycle than they did last time. I know I will. And from there it could snowball.
BikNorton wrote:

This is confirmed. Rumours are that it was a last minute decision, probably to allow Sony to come in a good chunk below Microsoft's price point.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

This is confirmed. Rumours are that it was a last minute decision, probably to allow Sony to come in a good chunk below Microsoft's price point.

When they first revealed the console they showed the eyetoy with it and it certainly looked like it was supposed to be bundled together.
Indeed. And not being able to guarantee everyone has one might curtail how many games use it, a la Move.
I suspect everything was very reactionary. With PRISM and the Kinect user reaction alongside the price, dumping the eyetoy allowed them to kill two birds with one stone. They can always pack it in later, but like Doc says, if it isn't in the box, it will never be used significantly. Thankfully.
Dr Lave wrote:
I've just thought how this will play even more into Sony's hand.

Typically people come to their decision of which one to by much further into the consoles life, but people like me - who are very far from early adopters of consoles (I got my PS3 last year) - suddenly have strong certainty which console they will get.

This has made me even start thinking about getting a launch unit.

Overall I think this will push a lot of people to purchase early in the lifecycle than they did last time. I know I will. And from there it could snowball.

PLus, £350 is a lovely pricepoint. If I decide to get one, I'll just skip lunch that day.
Interface demo vid for the PS4:

Cheesy as all get-out, but has some interesting points:

* tile-layout news stream showing friends earning cheevos
* skipping back and forth between a game you're stuck in and a friend's video showing how to do that bit
* choosing whether to download the single player or multiplayer bit of a game first
* using a smartphone to watch other people's uploaded videos, and send them messages as they are in-game
* watching someone else's game live as they talk you through how to do something
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Indeed. And not being able to guarantee everyone has one might curtail how many games use it, a la Move.

Thank fuck for that :D
I actually really, really like Move. It pretty much works like how we imagined the Wii would work before we used one, in terms of precision. It's superbly engineered.

It just has almost zero games. Me and Danielle do still play the odd round of bocce with it, though.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Me and Danielle do still play the odd round of bocce with it, though.

:hat:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Fixed your link
Ah, ta. Fixed in my original post too.
BTW that 'how to share a game on PS4' video is at 1.5 million hits already

Sony say that the DRM stance was always what they planned

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/441781 ... x-one-sony

Quote:
PlayStation 4's price and DRM policies not made in response to Xbox One, Sony exec says

The PlayStation 4's price and DRM policies were welcome announcements to those watching Sony's E3 press conference, but they weren't created in response to the same policies for Xbox One, Sony VP of Worldwide Studios Scott Rohde told Polygon in an interview earlier tonight.

"I literally have goosebumps right now, because that was always our plan," Rohde said. "It's something that we believe in. We know gamers come first; we know what they want. I was personally overwhelmed with the massive explosion on Twitter, with everyone essentially begging, 'Please don't do this Sony, please don't do this PlayStation!' It was so hard not to say, right away, 'Well, we never were going to do that, but now let's have a little fun and announce it in a fun way at the PlayStation press conference.'

"Could not believe how much the roof came down with that applause," Rohde added. "It was awesome."

Sony also announced that the PS4 would launch for $399, a good $100 cheaper than the price announced by Microsoft this morning for its Xbox One console. Again, Rohde said Sony had set that lower price well in advance of its competitors.

"I mean, that was such an amazing message," Rohde said. "We kind of had a feeling; we kind of knew we were gonna land a little bit cheaper than those green guys. When it was verified this morning, we've just been walking around with smiles all day."
I've got one preordered, but will keep my eye out for a better option once the dust has settled.
That £80 difference made all the difference.
Plus the lack of MS's nonsense of course.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Cheesy as all get-out, but has some interesting points:

* tile-layout news stream showing friends earning cheevos
* skipping back and forth between a game you're stuck in and a friend's video showing how to do that bit
* choosing whether to download the single player or multiplayer bit of a game first
* using a smartphone to watch other people's uploaded videos, and send them messages as they are in-game
* watching someone else's game live as they talk you through how to do something

That video was useful, it looks like the online interface is much nicer than ps3. That's put my mind at ease about party chat, I'd be gutted to lose that if I switched to Sony.

By the way, I LOVED the cheering at the Sony conference when they announced the drm and online stuff. It was just people getting excited with the relief and giving a big fuck you to Microsoft. I hope the Microsoft heads were watching that and feeling sick. They've soured my opinion enough that I would genuinely consider getting a ps3 right now and jumping ship already. Even if Microsoft do a huge u-turn I don't think they will win me back.
I've just realised, I still don't know of any games that have been announced for the PS4. All I know is that it's not got the restrictions that the new Xbox has.
Thats enough basically. Sony won by turning up.
Dr Lave wrote:
Thats enough basically. Sony won by turning up.

Sony won it by not being as screwed up as Microsoft - there was a good post i think on neogaf that listed all the games announced for both systems including exclusives - i'll see if i can find it

Or i would if neogaf would stay up for 5 minutes - i'll find and post it - there are basically about 8 exclusives for both sides and then everything else is multi platform - it doesnt count timed dlc exclusives which Microsoft have announced for both Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts
Neat tech demo video by Engadget, showing some applications of the PlayStation Camera for altered reality and the motion sensing and touchpad parts of the DualShock 4. It's not as sci-fi as Kinect's heart reading stuff -- and as with Kinect, I'm unsure that there are that many appealing game applications -- but it's pretty smart tech nevertheless.

More questions.
1) How much is PS+?
2) If you had a PS3 and bought or downloaded games, would these be available to download again onto PS4 at no further cost?
3) if you bought a PS3, which models are available and which one is best? I noticed a 12GB model on amazon, is that expandable with an external hard drive?
2) no backwards compatibility.
1) Same price as gold I think £39.99, with a sale once a year. I got mine for £29.99. (Crazy worth it.)

2) I don't think there is any backward compatibility due to the cell to X86 switch.

3) Dunno. I got a 320Gb one and it's full of PS+ content in ~ 6mnths. I've got to start deleting to download anything new. And most of my PS+ stuff is purchased but not downloaded.

Talking of 3) the none user replaceable drive on the Xbox one, coupled with the mandatory installs of blu-ray disks is going to fill very, very fast indeed.
sdg wrote:
More questions.
1) How much is PS+?
£40/year. Occasionally, but much more rarely than Live, you can get a deal.

If you're thinking of subscribing, you might want to do it right now if the "annual update" games from last year are still up (Motorstorm, Little Big Planet 2, inFamous 2). They're due to be refreshed, I think today, being replaced by Little Big Planet Karting, XCOM, and Uncharted 3.

You can sign up to PS+ in a browser, "buy" (for £0) the games now, and download them whenever you get a PS3. Similarly, you should "buy" the Vita games, in case you ever get one.

Quote:
2) If you had a PS3 and bought or downloaded games, would these be available to download again onto PS4 at no further cost?
Maybe, with some massive caveats. PS3 games will be playable on PS4 via Gaikai streaming, but:

a) Sony have only announced this will be available from the vague "early 2014"
b) at least at first, it'll only be for select "blockbuster" titles (and perhaps forever)
c) we have no idea if digital purchases or PS+ games will carry over to the Gaikai streaming system
d) Gaikai might suck

So best to assume the answer to your question is "no".

Quote:
3) if you bought a PS3, which models are available and which one is best? I noticed a 12GB model on amazon, is that expandable with an external hard drive?
Yes but you need a little bracket that costs a tenner. I think it works out cheaper if you want a big disk.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
Yes but you need a little bracket that costs a tenner. I think it works out cheaper if you want a big disk.

That's if you want to replace the internal drive with a different one isn't it? sdg's question was about using an external drive which I don't think is possible (without hacking stuff anyway)?
It's easy using an external hard drive. Just reformat it to FAT32 and it works. Only thing is, I don't know if you can move your downloaded games to it, but movies, vids and pictures work a treat.

PS+ is also £12 for three months, if you want to trial it for cheaps.
Saturnalian wrote:
It's easy using an external hard drive. Just reformat it to FAT32 and it works. Only thing is, I don't know if you can move your downloaded games to it, but movies, vids and pictures work a treat.

Yeah, the PS3 will read media from pretty much any USB source (we use a thumb stick with ours all the time) but it seems unlikely to play games from it as that would make piracy a piece of piss.
Thanks guys. With 2), I really meant games from psn, like the free games they are doing. So you covered that doc.
The hdd I meant like a USB but I've just looked for that bracket and I can get that plus a 500gb hard drive for £50.
So looks like I better switch on the charm and go and sweet talk my darling fiancée.
Acheivement trophy unlocked!
:)

PS4 controller hands-ons at engadget and IGN. Sounds good:

Quote:
As a player with fairly large hands, the previous design felt cramped and small — the DualShock 4 resolves much of these issues. The handles are more rounded and designed in such a way to conform with the palm of your hand as you play. The shoulder buttons and triggers, while not much larger than the previous iteration, feel much more natural by curving with your fingers. Most importantly, the triggers are convex (aka curve inward), which prevent your finger from sliding off as you make fast taps or when holding them down.
Has it got a pop-up lid, like the PS1?
Bloody hell. Thats great, it will squeeze into the space in the current setup I think. Lovely.

With no external power brick, my mind boggles at how small it is. That looks like a the size of a 'slim' release.
It's slightly smaller and slightly lighter than the PS3 slim.
Convex means curving out, doesn't it?
Grim... wrote:
Has it got a pop-up lid, like the PS1?

No. There's a disc slot in the middle band, running from the top of the picture down to the just-visible USB ports.
I think that looks great!

So, if I were sitting in front of a PS3, what would I want to do to get the free games, and what games is it?

:D

Same guys have done the Microsoft announcements, and the PS4 launch event one. All equally lol some.
sdg wrote:
So, if I were sitting in front of a PS3, what would I want to do to get the free games, and what games is it?

Ugh, something like

* Make an account
* sign in
* get the games (in the Store, PS+, Instant Game Collection)

I think you've missed the annual updates. Try the PSN website, someone on rllmuk said the games were still in there but had gone from the PS interface.
And xbone has an external PSU. And is 70% vents. And is less powerful.

Jesus Christ Microsoft.
Holy crap this is amazing. I've just downloaded four full games, for £0, that are highly rated.
Page 5 of 52 [ 2598 posts ]