PS4 confirmed
That's what they're calling it
See my most recent post in the "other" thread. I think most people probably do agree with him. Gaywood offered a great counter-argument, but both have merits. Sadly, AE has banged the drum inappropriately too many times before, so nobody will give his view due consideration. And sadly, I totally understand that.
I

don't

care.

Good night.
Hang on! What about Screamer? That was pc and almost as good as ridge racer.

;)
DavPaz wrote:
Hang on! What about Screamer? That was pc and almost as good as ridge racer.

;)

That falls foul of the 'fucking nightmare to run' rule, being as it was a DOS game.

You ever try getting a gamepad set up for that fucker?

Oh yes, it also falls foul of the 'needed a £1000+ PC to run it properly' rule, being as you absolutely had to have a Pentium for it move at anything like the same smoothness as Ridge Racer, and £1000 just about bought the cheapest Pentium based PC at the time.

Finally, it was a decent game as a PC arcade racer, but by god it wasn't as good as Ridge Racer.

So no, you can't have Screamer interfering with the magic of Ridge Racer on the PS1! :)
I actually preferred Screamer to Ridge Racer. Mind you, it was my first ever PC game on my first ever PC, so my memory might be a little rose-tinted. :)
Screamer rally was quite good too.

I think screamer came with my Packard Bell p100.

Lovely pc that. Not at all like a ps4
Screamer Rally was fucking brilliant. I could only play at utterly crap resolutions but I didn't care because I had so much fun with it.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...
Trousers wrote:
Screamer Rally was fucking brilliant. I could only play at utterly crap resolutions but I didn't care because I had so much fun with it.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

I've still got the disc for this downstairs. Wonder if it'll install on Windows 7?

I think this was one of the first 3D accelerated games I played with my original 3dfx card. (Quake 2 is the other one I remember, the jump from software to hardware rendering was just stunning.)

Attachment:
sr.JPG
I reckon you should move to another thread, but please continue
It seems Sony are at least talking the talk of attracting indie developers. They'ye meeting with loads of indie devs at GDC, and their staff are saying that they don't want there to be any reasons indie devs don't target the PS4. Who knows how it will actually play out, but it seems positive to me.
LewieP wrote:
It seems Sony are at least talking the talk of attracting indie developers. They'ye meeting with loads of indie devs at GDC, and their staff are saying that they don't want there to be any reasons indie devs don't target the PS4. Who knows how it will actually play out, but it seems positive to me.

It's that attitude that's warming me to Sony lately. Microscrofula are doing a good job of alienating small developers with their hellish certification process.
Dimrill wrote:
LewieP wrote:

It's that attitude that's warming me to Sony lately. Microscrofula are doing a good job of alienating small developers with their hellish certification process.

Yep, there's also the problem that (with a handful of exceptions) you need a publisher to get on XBLA, and for most indies that means getting Microsoft to publish their game, and Microsoft require exclusivity (either on the whole game, or on some significant content). This is not the case for PSN, Steam, iOS, google play, or many of the other places devs could sell their games.

There's also a bunch of Xbox games with known bugs that could be easily fixed, but the developer can't/won't pay Microsoft to certify them.
Everything you need to know about the PS4 event

Good stuff. Might as well replace the six pages of discussion with that one video. :)
Damn, that Havoc might look brub, but I want more isometric games!
I posted this on Twitter a few days ago because this thread was being derailed by a rampaging cunt who's been given carte blanche to continue.
Also, I think the point is that what we've seen so far suggests something extremely mediocre, but we probably need to wait and see what they have up their sleeves. Is it going to be as awesome as when I got my Gamecube? PS1? Xbox? Probably not, given Sony's track record.
Dimrill wrote:
I posted this on Twitter a few days ago ...

Interesting piece, shame he doesn't expand on some of his themes. I'm sure there is a piece to be written about the second cousin of the 'tyranny of choice' which is the 'dictatorship of preferences'. You shall see only those things that look like those things that you have previously bought or looked at...and if your an idiot like me that'll be a cavalcade of shite.

Cavalcade, that doesn't get used enough...must use cavalcade more.
Guardian interview with Sony's head of worldwide studios

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... -interview

Details:
All PS4 games will be available as a download, sounds like they'll be doing more PS+ style stuff, and you can queue up a download for a game from "any device".
I had a dream that I saw the PS4 hardware being unveiled. It had a transparent case like that original gameboy model, and it was a similar shape to the PSone, but bigger. It also had an attachable PS Vita that was redesigned to look more like the PS4 controller.
LewieP wrote:
I had a dream that I saw the PS4 hardware being unveiled. It had a transparent case like that original gameboy model, and it was a similar shape to the PSone, but bigger. It also had an attachable PS Vita that was redesigned to look more like the PS4 controller.

That sounds pretty cool. It would be awesome if they made a console like that. :D
Just picked up a copy of EDGE and started reading the Killzone 4 peeps interview. They didn't want to "go into too much detail on which parts of the city [in the demo] you'll visit, because that'll reveal too much of the story".

I'm guessing the following parts of the city you'll get to go through: warehouse, oil refinery, warehouse, abandoned warehouse, refinery, oil manufacturing plant and space ship.
[s]Cookie197[/s]Morte wrote:

:DD
Okay - not watched last nights stream but from the summaries they showed games , went off on a tangent talking about TV for a little bit - showed more games , PS+ will continue and you'll get free PS4 games , cloud stuff will start in the US next year (GaiKai i assume)

Do what you want with your disk based games , no online check in , no locking users out of their machine , and price of £349 (so £80 cheaper than the Xbox one)
zaphod79 wrote:
Okay - not watched last nights stream but from the summaries they showed games , went off on a tangent talking about TV for a little bit - showed more games , PS+ will continue and you'll get free PS4 games , cloud stuff will start in the US next year (GaiKai i assume)

Do what you want with your disk based games , no online check in , no locking users out of their machine , and price of £349 (so £80 cheaper than the Xbox one)

That'll do for me.
HAH -- official Spny guide to sharing PS4 games: http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

And the snippet of the presentation where Sony shanked Microsoft: http://youtu.be/2Ht-0Hne4E

Incredible. Is the Xbone dead?
From what I've read so far, the PS4 seems like a more attractive proposition. I just hope they can sort the difficult to navigate store out. Also, vast improvements need to be made to their friend lists and party chat before they see a penny of my money.

I suppose I've been a Playstation guy before, I can do it again.
Sony has already confirmed cross-game chat will be in the PS4.
Yeah but hopefully it's implemented better than the PS3 chat was.
It looks like the xbone, but on a slant. I bet someone in the design department shit a brick when the xbone pics came out.

"Quick! Make it slanty!"
The controller looks a bit like a dual shock, though. Lack of DRM is nice but surely the instant paralysis that sets in when they pick up a dual shock might put some people off a bit.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
HAH -- official Spny guide to sharing PS4 games: http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA
Brilliant.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And the snippet of the presentation where Sony shanked Microsoft: http://youtu.be/2Ht-0Hne4E

Incredible. Is the Xbone dead?
Pulled. Not brilliant.

Edit: Was that the same as the 2:20 video in the xbox one thread?

The PS4 doesn't require those things but that doesn't mean EA won't just go "fuck you, Online Passes and +£10 SRP then." Won't stop Sont winning though, if they were going to win based on this.
Even if I like the ideas behind the Xbone (even if I disagree with the downsides) I have to say Sony have done it all right. Disappointed with having to pay to play multiplayer on both consoles though which might make me stick to the pc for a while longer. Also having no kinect just a standard camera(included?) seems to have allowed a drop in price for better hardware. I just hope they can pull a few more games into it to sway me over.
PS+ may not be free, but you do get a lot of new-ish games with it. MS nicking that idea but launching with a pair of relatively old titles is a bit laughable in comparison.
Physical side effects of the PS4 news:

1. I really want a Vita.
2. I might just stop buying 360 games and see this generation out on the PS3.
3. I'm debating moving my PS4 pre-order from Amazon to a bricks&mortar place that'll do a midnight opening.
4. Physical arousal.
If you're thinking of buying a Vita, you'll be wanting to clear out some space and earn some extra money!

Fancy selling your PSP? ;)
Oh yeah. I'll PM you.
HDD confirmed upgradeable (the Xbone's isn't)

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/344364530333274112

Thinking about it on the way in , all Sony has done is make things *slightly* worse (you need to pay for mutiplayer) and yet them doing that is seen as an amazing win for them - is that enough of a slap in the face for Microsoft to try and change things ?

All those applause and the stuff going around the internet this morning is that Sony is focused on games , will not mess you about with connections and DRM , and is going to be cheaper than Microsoft.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

1. I really want a Vita.

That £95 Vita that Lewie posted is looking more promising
Second hand games, netflix and iplayer and those free games. Sounds superb and I'm happy with that.
I've still got reservations about the pad but there's a long way to go yet.
MaliA wrote:
Second hand games, netflix and iplayer and those free games
Sony confirmed that PSN+ is only for the free games and online play. Netflix, iPlayer, etc will not be behind the PSN+ paywall.
I maintain that a depressingly large number of people don't understand or care about the issues MS are trying to advance so heinously. A room full of shills and journos whooping doesn't change that opinion.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Second hand games, netflix and iplayer and those free games
Sony confirmed that PSN+ is only for the free games and online play. Netflix, iPlayer, etc will not be behind the PSN+ paywall.

Superb! This gets better! Thanks for the information, sir.
zaphod79 wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

1. I really want a Vita.

That £95 Vita that Lewie posted is looking more promising

FYI, that's where I got mine from. For a pre-owned console it looked brand new with no blemishes, marks or scratches whatsoever. It only comes with the power supply lead mind.

(And fecking eBay can go fuck itself. I should get my money back though, fortunately.)
Another 'i'm not going to screw you over' thing from Sony

PS4 will *not* be region locked

Quote:
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/344357778288152576

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp

And yes, PS4 is region free :D
Rear shot of console: http://uk.playstation.com/media/LiLub4A ... PS4_04.jpg

Standard figure-8 power jack: implies no bulky external PSU, which is nice. Also it's smaller than I thought. 5cm high, apparently.
Page 4 of 52 [ 2598 posts ]