Music to ignore
Antisocial - me-do
Hello friends.

I have a strange request. I would like you to recommend to me some music that I can ignore.

I am forced to frequently share public transport with morons and, as I like to use my commute to read, frequently fight the urge to kill the noisy morons.

Please to recommend music to me that is bland enough to ignore, but constant enough to drown out the plebs.

Yours,

Dav J. Paz, esq.
Get some of Brian Eno's ambient albums.
You need some muzak.

In all seriousness, DL the Alt-J album 'an awesome wave'which is suited to this very much so
I was being serious too...
Kern wrote:
4'33''

QI SIREN!
Mazzy Star is good to put you in a zen like state.

An H&KMP5 won't do that

A bike might solve it completely.
Can't read on a bike ;)
DavPaz wrote:
Can't read on a bike ;)

Well, that changes the game, sir.
WTB wrote:
Get some of Brian Eno's ambient albums.

Aye, just Music for Airports or somesuch. It's designed specifically to ignore, based on the philosophy that we now live in a world we didn't evolve into, where music is almost constant and designed to demand our attention. Ambient is the opposite. I like listening to it and I like making it, because I can stick some on and an hour later not remember listening to a moment of it, but my brain has got a lot done.

Have a try of this one, I knocked it up using some of Eno's latest app and a DAW with a few filters and shizzle. Piece of piss. Lovely piss, mind.

https://soundcloud.com/governmentyard/retroflux-fork-2

But do get Eno stuff, he invented the genre and is better at it than me.
Boards of Canada, beautiful lunar landscape, Braving the glacier, airplanes over johannesburg, 65daysofstatic, oceans, explosions in the sky, the Kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble, mogwai, tortoise,

Varying levels of "ambient"/"post rock" there, but I tend to listen to this stuff at work, as well as a bit more trance stuff if I want something a bit more up beat, so some of the trance "best of albums" like the platipus compilations.
Excellent stuff, exactly what I was looking for.
In addition to Bobby's list, 76:14 by Global Communication, UFOrb by Orb and Leftism by Leftfield.
I have just remembered this thread and will now be getting the recommendations herein.
Leftism seems like a really bizarre recommendation as it's neither bland nor constant and, to my mind, is very demanding of your attention (in a good way).
I recommend Lou Reed and Metallica: Lulu.

Maybe.
DavPaz wrote:
I have just remembered this thread and will now be getting the recommendations herein.

Sounds like you didn't care overly much about the bus noise over the last 15 months. ;)
My tolerance has worsened as my memory has improved

Edit: 15 months! What happened to 2013?!
Zoe Keating's instrumental cello-based stuff is ace for this. Very atmospheric. Her 2010 LP, "Into The Trees" is cheap.
Maybe some of Tangerine Dream's old stuff? Like Phaedra, Stratosfear or Tangram.
different idea, get audiobooks! it's great fun I go through loads in the car.
But then he might have to look at people
Curiosity wrote:
Zoe Keating's instrumental cello-based stuff is ace for this. Very atmospheric. Her 2010 LP, "Into The Trees" is cheap.

Eeeh, this is reet good this. Perfect.
KovacsC wrote:
But then he might have to look at people

Then he'll need a 'Pictures to ignore' thread.
DavPaz wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Eeeh, this is reet good this. Perfect.

Yay!
Why not just buy ear plugs?
Maybe ear plugs with music in them?
I don't mind Pete Namlook stuff for chilling out to, especially this. ASMR stuff is also good for general relaxation, although that demands more of a listen.
miki wrote:
different idea, get audiobooks! it's great fun I go through loads in the car.

I second this fantastic suggestion. It helps you escape your surroundings.
I like the idea, but I get frustrated with the speed. I only get about an hour a day to read.
I certainly like some books+readers a lot better then others but the good ones are ace
In a similar vein to the audio book suggestion, I like listening to podcasts in the car. It's all I listen to when I'm driving alone.
Some of my favourites are The History of World War II, The History of Rome, Shut Up and Sit Down, and Throwing Shade.
The Infinite Monkey Cage has passed a few boring hours at work.
A friend and colleague of mine has just released a new album

https://play.google.com/music/m/Bpk4go2 ... d_Williams

It's electronic and kind of ambient and great for drowning out the sounds of reality. I like it a lot. A lot of them would make great game soundtracks.

Google music linked, but it's on Spotify and Apple music as well I believe. Scintilla by David Williams. Try it! You might like it.
Grim... wrote:
https://open.spotify.com/album/4hJQ81NzFbL2jDKm51BhV8?si=zLjwVmpgSVqKu2XxtYXYmg

There he is :)
Installing the bandcamp app and listening to Blood Music catalogue which is free to listen. Some of the best retro-synth artists are there like Perturbator, Gost and Dynatron.
Binaural beats. They have some really great tracks, but some may make you doze off, so you might miss your stop.
This is apt.

I’ve just started watching R Kelly’s hip hopera, Trapped in the Closet. I’ve heard stuff about it, obviously, but never sat down to watch it and neither should any right minded folk - there’s 22 of these fucking things.

5 chapters in and it’s shockingly unintentionally hilarious.
Satsuma wrote:
This is apt.

I’ve just started watching R Kelly’s hip hopera, Trapped in the Closet. I’ve heard stuff about it, obviously, but never sat down to watch it and neither should any right minded folk - there’s 22 of these fucking things.

5 chapters in and it’s shockingly unintentionally hilarious.

I don't think this fits the brief. Due entirely to it's apparent awfulness it's surely impossible to ignore if it's on?
It’s certainly bland and constant. There’s over an hour of him saying “Don’t go to the closet. She went to the closet. I said don’t go to the closet. She inched a bit closer to the closet. I yelled don’t go in the closet.”

FYI he was in the closet. I’m just waiting for the bit about a dwarf in another closet, which I’m led to believe is actually in it. Fingers crossed.
It is indeed... I've watched the lot. Terrible.
It's fucking awesome, although the first bit was better than the second.

And it's a midget.
TheVision wrote:
It is indeed... I've watched the lot. Terrible.

Terrible, but hilarious.
“She said I’m going to climax
I said I’ve got a cramp in my leg
She said I’m coming right now
I said ok but get off my leg”

#bars4dayz
Page 1 of 2 [ 55 posts ]