The Apple Thread
was 23rd oct event thread
Sat next to someone on the train this morning with his ipad out, watching a film. I look over and he is watching Jason Bourne film in jerky 10FPS with burnt in subtitles.

It annoyed me and I wasn't the one watching it, I wanted to tap him on the shoulder and give him a list of URLs for him to go and read and educate himself :D
"Tut, sir. You are casting your iPad in bad light. Please return it to an Apple Store and buy a nasty Android device, immediately"
Perhaps he was an Android or Blackberry advertiser , they put one on each train just to show how rubbish the ipad is - perhaps if you hunted around there was someone watching the same movie on the 'correct' device and it looked so much better so anyone who was unsure about which one to pick up will have known to avoid the apple one ?
Last year, a very nice person gave me a G4. It needs a PSU and a hard drive. What should I/can I do with it?

EDIT: Linux install, then a model railway controller of course to run the trains in the garden!
Grim... wrote:
VMWare.

It's not quite the same though. I've got Snow Leopard running on VMware on my Windows 7 PC and it's only good for a quick look around, not for any proper use. I did use it to take my Mac Integration Basics exam on recently, because the exam site said it needed the latest version of Safari to run, though I suspect that may have been bullshit.

The only Mac I have these days is my Powerbook G4 (1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD), running Leopard 10.5.8, which is the last version Apple made for the PowerPC machines. It actually still works a treat! The PRAM battery is knackered, so if it's left unplugged from the mains for any length of time it magically thinks it's gone back in time to 1970 when you power it back on, but it does still work surprisingly well for an obsolete 10 year old laptop. I genuinely use it for daily internetings when I'm perched on the sofa at home and can't be arsed to walk over to the desk my PC sits on.
MaliA wrote:
Last year, a very nice person gave me a G4. It needs a PSU and a hard drive. What should I/can I do with it?

EDIT: Linux install, then a model railway controller of course to run the trains in the garden!

Why would you run Linux on something that can run OS X?

Are you run of those sort of guys who can only get sexually aroused by inserting objects into your urethra?

EDIT: I regret those harsh words Mali, I'm sure you're actually a very stand-up gentleman who only engages in intercourse in the missionary position, fully dressed, whilst smoking a pipe.
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
VMWare.

It's not quite the same though. I've got Snow Leopard running on VMware on my Windows 7 PC and it's only good for a quick look around, not for any proper use.

Granted it's five months since I mentioned it, but I always found VMWare to be a perfect recreation of a Mac - it didn't stutter or slow down (although it did need to be restarted if you wanted to plug a USB drive in more than once, oddly).
Zio wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Are you run of those sort of guys who can only get sexually aroused by inserting objects into your urethra?

EDIT: I regret those harsh words Mali, I'm sure you're actually a very stand-up gentleman who only engages in intercourse in the missionary position, fully dressed, whilst smoking a pipe.

How much would OSX be? I'm not particularly inclined to throw much money at it.
Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
VMWare.

It's not quite the same though. I've got Snow Leopard running on VMware on my Windows 7 PC and it's only good for a quick look around, not for any proper use.

Granted it's five months since I mentioned it, but I always found VMWare to be a perfect recreation of a Mac - it didn't stutter or slow down (although it did need to be restarted if you wanted to plug a USB drive in more than once, oddly).

It doesn't play well with anything especially graphical in nature and used to crash a lot when I used it online. Admittedly last time I used it, it seemed to run better than I remembered it being.

I think if AE is just after seeing what the Mac OS is all about, then it's a way of doing it certainly. I think ultimately I'd rather have chucked £200 at that Macbook though and get the proper Mac experience. I do appreciate however that that approach is £200 more expensive than going the VM route.
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
VMWare.

It doesn't play well with anything especially graphical in nature and used to crash a lot when I used it online. Admittedly last time I used it, it seemed to run better than I remembered it being.

I never had problems like that, although I didn't try any 3D gaming on it [edit:That's a lie, I put Steam on it to try it out and played Half Life 2, I think]. Probably just a different hardware setup.
Grim... wrote:
I never had problems like that, although I didn't try any 3D gaming on it [edit:That's a lie, I put Steam on it to try it out and played Half Life 2, I think]. Probably just a different hardware setup.

Really? Maybe I have a really shit VM then?

I did actually download a Mountain Lion VM a few weeks ago to brush up before starting my new job, but haven't got around to installing it yet. Might have to give it a go tonight if I get a chance.
Okay, so I'm typing this from my Mountain Lion VM... it works pretty well. It completely locked up when I tried to run Hotline Miami on it, and is otherwise a bit slow, but it's usable.

So, AE, if you fancy going down the VM road to trying OS X, PM me.
You know you're replying to quite an old thread, right?
Grim... wrote:
You know you're replying to quite an old thread, right?

Um...

:facepalm:

That'll be my finger on the pulse there, as always.
MaliA wrote:
Zio wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How much would OSX be? I'm not particularly inclined to throw much money at it.

14 quid. Or I have a disc.
Most G4s will only run up to Leopard. Certainly not Mountain Lion. You might get an old OSX install disc 2nd hand, but make sure you get the Power PC version
Ah yeah, sorry. I thought he was flyin' like a G6.
Thanks. I've still not done owt with it, yet.
I've got a Powerbook G4 which I still use fairly regularly at home. It's got Leopard 10.5.8, which is the very latest version of Mac OS X that can be run on PPC hardware.

Check out Leopard Webkit to update the webkit engine in Safari, or try TenFourFox (a frequently updated PPC build of Firefox) to have an up-to-date web browser on the machine and you should be well away. Obviously I'd forget trying to watch stuff on YouTube and the like because you'll just be watching ugly slideshows rather than videos, but for basic web browsing it should be absolutely fine.

Of course all it's other functions ought to work just as they did, so I still watch DVDs, videos and play the odd game on my G4. I was playing The Movies on it a couple of weekends ago.
Kern wrote:
Burt tank.

Feex
Laptop renewal time!

Price not being a factor, what would you go for and why?

Macbook Pro 15 - retina disp. i7 2.3GHz 8GB 256Flash 15" (2880x1800) 2.02 kg.
Dell XPS 15 - i7 2.2-3.2GHz (quad core), 16GB, 512 SSD, 16GB, 3xUSB3 (1 PowerShare), HDMI, 1x mini DisplayPort, 3-in-1 card reader, 15" (1900x1080) 1080p, 2.6kg.
Macbook Air 13" i7 1.7GHz 8GB 256Flash 13" (1440x900) 1.35 kg.
Macbook Air 11" i7 1.7GHz 8GB 256Flash 13" (1366x768) 1.08 kg.

I'm pretty sure which I'm going for, I think...
MacBook Pro, for obvious reasons.
SilentElk wrote:

Yeah but spec up the memory and SSD to as much as you can afford as you aren't able to upgrade them later. You really need a 512GB SSD IMO.
SilentElk wrote:

That's my most likely choice. However I carry it in a backpack and commute for 4 hours a day at the moment, so the extra weight is a factor.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Yeah but spec up the memory and SSD to as much as you can afford as you aren't able to upgrade them later. You really need a 512GB SSD IMO.

Nowt I can do about that, those are the choices.

I have a 256GB SSD in the current machine, and still have 160GB free after 2 years, so it won't be an issue for me though.
I'd also go for the MacBook Pro. I had one in earlier to work on and that Retina display is something else entirely and it's monstrously quick with the SSD. And whilst it is obviously heavier and chunkier than the Air, it's still a very lightweight and slender machine. I don't think you'd regret getting one, put it that way - whereas you might not feel the same with your other choices there.
Trooper wrote:
commute for 4 hours a day

Holy shit.
11" Air, big fan of the portability.
Trooper wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

That's my most likely choice. However I carry it in a backpack and commute for 4 hours a day at the moment, so the extra weight is a factor.

Do you carry it on your back for four hours a day? If not, still get it. I've got one and it's still pretty light. For the extra power/amazing screen it's totally worth it. That Dell is even heavier and nowhere near as good.

Chinny: I went for the pov-spec one as I couldn't justify the extra cash. I can't say I've needed an extra 8GB RAM or more storage on my SSD yet. I only plan on keeping it three years and all of my music and TV/film stuff is all in the cloud.

For you it's slightly different as you do a lot of editing work.
SilentElk wrote:
For you it's slightly different as you do a lot of editing work.

I don't use the SSD for video files but it can be a handy temporary store + CS6 takes up alot of space. Depends on what you plan to do with it.
Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:
commute for 4 hours a day

Holy shit.

Indeed :)

Only 3 days a week usually though, the other two days i'm either at home or in London.
My commute is:
3 minute walk to station.
53 minute on the train to London.
5 minute walk to Euston Square underground.
15 minute tube journey to Paddington.
26 minute train journey to Reading.
5 minute walk to office.

Just over 2 hours door to door (including waiting times) in the morning. Usually a little longer on the way home due to train times.

I've gone for the Pro, by the way.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Depends on what you plan to do with it.

Email and Beex, pretty much...
Trooper wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

iPhone.
Trooper wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

What you need is an iPad then.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

I thought it was only the RAM that can't be upgraded.
lasermink wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

The SSD is proprietary too, but I'm sure someone clever will find a way. The RAM is glued on though. :attitude:
lasermink wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

The SSD is Apple's own and is entirely proprietary. If you look at a teardown of a Retina Mac Pro you'd have to be brave to try and that's even if you can get hold of a replacement.

Quote:
MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" Mid 2012 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
Proprietary pentalobe screws prevent you from gaining access to anything inside.
As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can't upgrade.
The proprietary SSD isn't upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.
The lithium-polymer battery is glued rather than screwed into the case, which increases the chances that it'll break during disassembly. The battery also covers the trackpad cable, which tremendously increases the chance that the user will shear the cable in the battery removal process.
The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire extremely expensive assembly.
Oof, that doesn't really seem very pro. I upgraded both RAM and hard drive in my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. The original amount of RAM was 2 GB, which isn't even enough to satisfy the current version of OS X, and the original hard drive crashed when I dropped the computer at one point. I would have been rather pissed off if either of these upgrades hadn't been possible.
The pro, natch. Even if you need windows, it's easier to put windows on mac than OSX on a dell.
lasermink wrote:
Oof, that doesn't really seem very pro. I upgraded both RAM and hard drive in my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. The original amount of RAM was 2 GB, which isn't even enough to satisfy the current version of OS X, and the original hard drive crashed when I dropped the computer at one point. I would have been rather pissed off if either of these upgrades hadn't been possible.

We had all these discussions when it first came out, where were you? ;)

It's not great, but it's the way it is. I had the choice of buying this or the heavier one without the Retina screen - it's a trade-off I was happy making on balance.
SilentElk wrote:
lasermink wrote:

It's not great, but it's the way it is. I had the choice of buying this or the heavier one without the Retina screen - it's a trade-off I was happy making on balance.

So it's only the retina version that isn't upgradable? I hadn't even realized that the non-retina one is still "fat".
lasermink wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
lasermink wrote:

So it's only the retina version that isn't upgradable? I hadn't even realized that the non-retina one is still "fat".

Correct. The non-Retina one has a normal HDD, comes with half the system and GPU RAM.

It's £300 cheaper though.
New iPhone may be announced on 10th Sept.
lasermink wrote:

It's about getting the size down. Look how dinky that SSD is. The memory saves space by being soldered onto the board. The batteries have no extra casing saving space and weight by using the machines own casing for protection. It's clever, it saves space and weight but the payoff is that you are stuck with what you buy. Which is why I went for more memory and a larger SSD.
SilentElk wrote:
I only plan on keeping it three years

Blimey. I've had my MacBook for four years already, and I am going to pimp it a bit. Now that's pov-spec ;)

lasermink wrote:
Oof, that doesn't really seem very pro. I upgraded both RAM and hard drive in my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. The original amount of RAM was 2 GB, which isn't even enough to satisfy the current version of OS X

Aye, I'm discovering that now. RAM upgrade seemed like a luxurious dream when I was on Leopard. It's pretty essential now.
throughsilver wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
I only plan on keeping it three years

Blimey. I've had my MacBook for four years already, and I am going to pimp it a bit. Now that's pov-spec ;)

Yes, but you can upgrade yours. I'm now on a cycle like with a phone or tablet. Keep for a number of years and then trade in for a newer model.
SilentElk wrote:

Typically how long between announcement and availability?
Curiosity wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Not very long at all, usually.
SilentElk wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Not very long at all, usually.

A week? A fortnight? A month?
Page 5 of 23 [ 1105 posts ]