Tabletop wargaming - nerdlinging to the max...
and other sundry models

Do you play tabletop wargames?
No, of course not. Tabletop wargamers are so nerdy they make PC fanboys look cool and studly.  34%  [ 25 ]
Yes. I love my little painted figures. I give them all names and stroke them every night. I live for weapons damage charts.  5%  [ 4 ]
I used to, but discovered girls.  52%  [ 38 ]
What are you talking about?  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 72
I also found a lovely torrent shop selling the entire WH40K text collection in PDF :smug:
But Craster, Chaos Space Marines are not necessarily Terminators, and aren't assured of being able to deep strike.

I'm betting on drop pods, myself... Are thre holes in the ceiling, Dimdims? (Must've been a rough landing though)
Pundabaya wrote:
But Craster, Chaos Space Marines are not necessarily Terminators, and aren't assured of being able to deep strike.

Yeah, true. Imagining them deep striking onto Dimrill's carpet (I hear he's known for a bit of deep striking on the carpet) tickled my nerd gland though.
Of course, a Thunderhawk Gunship might've flown through his window, and dropped them off. Talking of T-hawks:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thunder2.htm

*Drools*
I want to know how Pundy's getting on with his houseguests. Space Marines are a pain in the arse, always getting drunk and crushing furniture beneath their power armour. And don't get me started on the electricity bills from their recharging.
Ah, I just told them that the weird family down the road is part of a countrywide genestealer cult, and they happily wandered off, muttering something about Exterminatus.
I'm still not buying anything.

It looks like the effects snowball once you start.
Zardoz needs a reminder
Indeed.

But its £30 for that Greater Demon Model and at least £10 paints & washes.

Then I'd have to buy more stuff to use the paint up on...

etc

I can't do it.
You can, you know.
GW prices can get to fucking fuck. I paid 18 for my Great Unclean One off eBay.
*LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU*
£4 for 5 chaos marines, £8 for 8 plague marines. You just get the sprues, but what the frig do you need the boxes for? Citadel paints are going for about 5 quid for 7 pots too.
richardgaywood wrote:
Space Marines are a pain in the arse, always getting drunk and crushing furniture beneath their power armour.

Oh, and I don't think Space Marines can get drunk. The whole poison absorbing/neutralizing gland dealybob. I attribute their utter bastardness to this fact.

One thing I like about 40K, when someone asks you 'who are the bad-guys?' you simply have to answer 'Everyone!'
Pundabaya wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
Space Marines are a pain in the arse, always getting drunk and crushing furniture beneath their power armour.
Oh, and I don't think Space Marines can get drunk. The whole poison absorbing/neutralizing gland dealybob. I attribute their utter bastardness to this fact.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Wow, a lifetime sober, permanently bonded to a ton of power armour, brainwashed with religious doctrine. That would suck.

Quote:
One thing I like about 40K, when someone asks you 'who are the bad-guys?' you simply have to answer 'Everyone!'
I always lamented the lack of a decent RPG set in the 40K universe, it had so much more detail in it than it needed for a wargame. People who just read the rules (or people who came into the game later when GW seemed to drop a lot of the extra background bits in the books) never realised than the Space Marines were fuckers and the Emperer a total twat. They just thought human = good guys.
We played a couple of one-off games using bastardised WFRP rules but, yeah, the 40K world was crying out for a roleplaying system.

That Thunderhawk gunship is ace.
Dimrill wrote:
£4 for 5 chaos marines, £8 for 8 plague marines. You just get the sprues, but what the frig do you need the boxes for? Citadel paints are going for about 5 quid for 7 pots too.

*Gulp*

Lnk plz
Pundabaya wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:

Aren't the Tau supposed to be nice by W40K standards? And I'm sure the non-dark Eldar are okay, despite being mopey emo space-elves.

Maybe they should change their booming tagline to: "In the forty-first century there are only twats!"
The Tau are definitely the least evil of the 40K races (at the moment) but they do have a nice line of orbital bombardment and concentration camps. Oh, and it's hinted that the Vespids aren't actually happy members of the Tau's collective, but more like mind controlled slaves.

And Eldar are bastards. They'll quite happily sacrifice millions of other races lives to protect themselves, that's why Armageddon ended up getting a good old kicking from Ghazghkull's lot.
I've assembled and undercoated my Tau Commander in Crisis Battlesuit! thoughts:

I do really like the design aesthetic on the Tau stuff, clean, yet chunky lines. The kit went together pleasingly, a couple of nice ideas to make it easier, like how the feet clip on to the ankle, so you can glue the legs however you want, clip on the feet, adjust them to the base, glue them to the base, then pop them off, and glue the legs to them properly. ('s a ball joint, see?) No miniatures-of-incredible-falling-over here!

The undercoat sprays seem much easier to use nowadays, and even my cackhanded efforts get reasonable results.
richardgaywood wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Wow, a lifetime sober, permanently bonded to a ton of power armour, brainwashed with religious doctrine. That would suck.

Um, they can take the armour off, you know. They're a bit bulkier than normal humans, cos they've got the control carapace thing on their back (aside from being 7 feet tall, and giving Arnie a run for his money on the physique) but they aren't permanently stuck in their armour. Some veterans will switch between power armour and terminator armour, depending on their mission.

richardgaywood wrote:
I always lamented the lack of a decent RPG set in the 40K universe, it had so much more detail in it than it needed for a wargame. People who just read the rules (or people who came into the game later when GW seemed to drop a lot of the extra background bits in the books) never realised than the Space Marines were fuckers and the Emperer a total twat. They just thought human = good guys.

There was supposed to be a 40K rpg...ah, here it is:http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=40k
Damn. I appear to have had a Typhus Lord of Nurgle model materialise next to me. Tch.
I have just managed to super glue my beard inbetween his backpiece and torso.. tut.
*Points and laughs*
haha!

The amount of skin I've lost to the old 'superglue yer fingers to a mini' trick must be measured in square meters. That's one good thing about most of the stuff nowadays. Its plastic, so you can use poly cement. Which doesn't bond with fingers!

Also, less fucking pinning required. I haven't had to buy a pin-vice yet. My old one being knackered.

I'm currently resisting painting at the moment, as if I start, I know I won't be finished till at least midnight.
I'm having fun Nurgling up some bog standard chaos marines. A bit of superglue in strategic points, dip em in some builders sand et voila! Rusty armour. I've also bought some green modelling putty from eBay to create boils and pustules.
Imagines Dimrill with superglue, sand and kneadatite hanging from his beard.
Pundabaya wrote:
The amount of skin I've lost to the old 'superglue yer fingers to a mini' trick must be measured in square meters.
Acetone -- nail varnish remover -- dissolves superglue. This is the sort of trivia that can save your arse once in a while.
Also good for removing old paint from lead miniatures, along with pine disinfectant. Has to be pine. Don't try it on plastic models, cos it'll just dissolve them.
richardgaywood wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
The amount of skin I've lost to the old 'superglue yer fingers to a mini' trick must be measured in square meters.
Acetone -- nail varnish remover -- dissolves superglue. This is the sort of trivia that can save your arse once in a while.

You might want to keep the superglue away from your arse in the first place.
richardgaywood wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Bah, the hard men of the miniature wargaming world simply yank their fingers off and try not to cry!

In other news I spent 5 hours painting my Tau thingy, and its still not done. Admittedly, It's not a simple scheme, but if I do another one, the bastard's getting drybrushed.
I went into Lichfield today to check out the very local hobby shop which carries GW products, and he only had some new Epic 40K blisters in stock. Just Tyranid Dominatrix's'sees' at 3 quid each, but I'm wondering whether to go back next week and buy them all to flog on eBay.
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this was posted already:

Just finished my first Death Guard since restarting painting. Still my favourite to do.

WARNING! NERDLINGER'S GOT HIS COCK OUT!

Click em for biggies.
Fuck, that's good.
I know someone who's ginger, bald, into metal and likes painting these figures as well. He's from Macclesfield though.

The weirdest thing? His surname's Dale.
Those are great, Dimrill.
Cheers boyos, I'm just having a faff around with this "green stuff" modelling clay, and have made a nice bloated belly with entrails hanging from a gaping wound for my next one.
Oi, Nurglebeard, I hope that's varnish on that miniature!
Yeah, I didn't wait for the purity seal to dry before I photied them :smug:
I have completed my Tau dude. He doesn't look bad, though my camera is officially fuxxored.
myoptika wrote:
The weirdest thing? His surname's Dale.

The funniest thing I saw in Lord of the Rings Online...

You choose which part of Middle Earth you come from, so if you're human you can choose Rohan, Gondor, the Dale, Breelands, etc. You can then click a button and have the name of where you come from as part of your name. For instance my character 'Oakgrove of the Breelands'.

One guy I ran into, he named his character Winton, and chose Dale as his homeland.

'Winton of the Dale'.

I laughed anyway.
Oh-ho!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1990

Blood Bowl for PC/360/DS/PSP, anyone? Turn-based? Here by Christmas? More question marks?
Turn based? Awesomeness!
All games should be turn based, see. This is why Fallout 2 was vastly wonderful and Fallout Tactics was a sack of Craster.
Mr Chris wrote:
All games should be turn based, see. This is why Fallout 2 was vastly wonderful and Fallout Tactics was a sack of Craster.

You know you can just turn on turn based in Tactics?
Yeah, but as it wasn't designed as a turn-based game and they clearly bolted that on afterwards. It doesn't have the hexes represented as well, so you can't tell how far you've moved or how many APs you have as easily, so it's all spaff.
tossrStu wrote:
Oh-ho!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1990

Blood Bowl for PC/360/DS/PSP, anyone? Turn-based? Here by Christmas? More question marks?

Chaos League was pretty good, but a bit of a buggy mess. I'm hopeful but not really optimistic.
Page 7 of 85 [ 4249 posts ]