GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
the King has returned
Would you like fries with that hat?
You bite the fry the fry bites back, my man.
MaliA wrote:
I might put some money down to reserve a copy so it arrives on the day of release. If I'm allowed.
you're not allowed.
BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I might put some money down to reserve a copy so it arrives on the day of release. If I'm allowed.
you're not allowed.

balls.
TheVision wrote:
Would you like fries with that hat?

I'm genuinely curious, if Rockstar really have managed to pull that off on the PS3 then I doff my cap to them.

On paper the PS3 is a stunningly powerful machine in the hands of a team talented enough to exploit the complicated architecture (Naughty Dog have certainly given a strong indication of what it's capable of), it's just been lumbered with shitty 360 ports for much of its life.

It reminds me a bit of the Saturn and the original Playstation, once Sega's in-house devs properly got their heads around the Saturn's architecture (dual-RISC CPUs!) and truly unlocked its potential, it played host to some stunning games and amazing technical achievements, just far too late in the day to save the console itself. (Except this time round Sony have got the complex architecture that needs hard work to get the most out of with the PS3, and MS have got the straightforward chuck raw horsepower at it approach with the 360.)

If that really is GTAV on the PS3, then in combination with being able to easily amass a full Pinball Arcade collection and the super-cheapness of the PS3 Slim - I could be seriously tempted to become a very late adopter of a PS3. (The PS4 is already a shoe-in for next-gen, of course.)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
I wonder if they'll do an HDer version for the new consoles? Might as well if all the assets and stuff are in place no?
I'd hazard a guess there'll be a next-gen GOTY version down the road.

Like San Andreas?
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Nah, it's not close to pretty enough.

Check out the draw distance on the chopper sequences or the skydiving clip, or the number of vehicles on the highway sequence, all as silky smooth as you like.

Either Rockstar have done an amazingly stunning job of engine optimisation since GTAIV, or that ain't real-time footage from the PS3.

It's not unbelievable that they've got a lot more familiar with a system's architecture in half a decade.
throughsilver wrote:
It's not unbelievable that they've got a lot more familiar with a system's architecture in half a decade.

To an extent, yes, but the massive apparent leap from GTAIV to GTAV - (especially considering that the PS3 version of GTAIV ran poorly compared to even the 360 version, and yet now it appears to be the lead platform for GTAV) - suggests that Rockstar have managed something almost off-the-scale impressive in terms of tapping into the PS3's potential in a way few other developers have managed. (Indeed, I'd go as far as to say they've surpassed anything else produced on the console to date.)

When I watch that gameplay footage I think 'next-gen consoles or PC', so if that's genuinely realtime PS3 game footage, the game that we'll actually get to play - I'm pretty much gobsmacked.

I should note however that my sceptic's hat is still on for now, in lieu of being eaten if GTAV looking like that, and running like that, is released on PS3 in due course for us all to play.
10 weeks to go!
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

To an extent, yes, but the massive apparent leap from GTAIV to GTAV - (especially considering that the PS3 version of GTAIV ran poorly compared to even the 360 version, and yet now it appears to be the lead platform for GTAV) - suggests that Rockstar have managed something almost off-the-scale impressive in terms of tapping into the PS3's potential in a way few other developers have managed. (Indeed, I'd go as far as to say they've surpassed anything else produced on the console to date.)

Maybe the 360 is 'easier' to develop on? Therefore you initially get better results. Then maybe the PS3 reveals it's actually better, once you really get to know how it works?

I'm no coder, but it's a valid theory.
I had a look at the trailer and it looks incredibly impressive, but not unachievable on the PS3 I'd have thought. Things have come on a hell of a lot since GTA IV came out on both platforms, but especially on PS3. And there really wasn't that much of a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA IV.

Another exhibit I'd put towards that being genuine PS3 footage would actually be the PC version of GTA IV, which was fucking woeful on release. Several patches later, it's a totally different experience. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they've continued making enhancements to the engine since then.
I had simply assumed that it was some PC or next generation console hardware looking at the trailer. I'm happy to have been wrong but it just makes my mind boggle as to what we'd be seeing if this were a PS4 release title.
Zio wrote:
And there really wasn't that much of a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA IV.

I've got both (glares at Mrs Grim...) and there really was. The PS3 version was super-blurro-fugly.

throughsilver wrote:
Maybe the 360 is 'easier' to develop on? Therefore you initially get better results. Then maybe the PS3 reveals it's actually better, once you really get to know how it works?

That's exactly what's happened. The PS3 is the more powerful, but it's really complicated to get the best out of it.
Grim... wrote:
The PS3 is the more powerful, but it's really complicated to get the best out of it.

Is this along the lines of "You have to ask it to do specific things in a specific way", or is it different along the lines that "the XBox can only deal in integers, but the PS3 can deal in fractions"
MaliA wrote:
along the lines that "the XBox can only deal in integers, but the PS3 can deal in fractions"

8)
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
along the lines that "the XBox can only deal in integers, but the PS3 can deal in fractions"

8)

I'm fully aware that the 360 probably does do fractions, I was asking, as I'm far from a pure programming background, where the difffernces lie, and this was the an illustrative difference I could bring to mind for someone to be able to explain it to me in words I might understand. It's probably hard not to take everything I write in a literal sense, hence the "along the lines" bit.
markg wrote:
I had simply assumed that it was some PC or next generation console hardware looking at the trailer.
Did you watch the video in a smallish window on a computer? That's quite flattering to graphics, compared to when you're gaming and it's blown up across a 40" or more TV.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
I had simply assumed that it was some PC or next generation console hardware looking at the trailer.
Did you watch the video in a smallish window on a computer? That's quite flattering to graphics, compared to when you're gaming and it's blown up across a 40" or more TV.

I was thinking just that. Plus, while it looks quite impressive and lovely, it's hardly a 10 minute walkthrough where you might see how the frame rate hold up when you're swinging the camera around and there's bags of traffic on screen and what-not.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

Yeah I did, just now I rewatched more carefully it at 720p full screen and it makes sense that it is PS3. Even so some bits look really pretty and pretty 8)
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

8)

I'm fully aware that the 360 probably does do fractions, I was asking, as I'm far from a pure programming background, where the difffernces lie, and this was the an illustrative difference I could bring to mind for someone to be able to explain it to me in words I might understand. It's probably hard not to take everything I write in a literal sense, hence the "along the lines" bit.

simplest (and therefore most grossly wrong) I can put it is that Coding for the 360 is like learning to juggle 3 balls. Coding for the ps3 is like learning to juggle 8 quite disparate objects including one angry cat.

Hope that helps.
And, with that analogy, it's possible to be far more impressive if you are juggling a cat than if you aren't. It's just hard work.
Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! How could there be a god that would let this happen?
Niko not happy:

Available on PC at the same time as the console versions, or near enough, apparently. This side of Christmas will do for me I think.

Oh well, saves me buying a PS3 :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... his-autumn
Hey folks,

It's time for the multiplayer reveal - today at 2.45PM!

You want a link? A LINK? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LINK.

And besides I ain't got one; but I bet someone will be along with one in a bit.
Saturnalian wrote:
Hey folks,

It's time for the multiplayer reveal - today at 2.45PM!

You want a link? A LINK? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LINK.

And besides I ain't got one; but I bet someone will be along with one in a bit.

It's alright, I've got this:

*clears throat*

I can reveal that, in Grand Theft Auto 5, there will be multiplayer.
Yes, it's called GTA Online.
SilentElk wrote:
http://www.rockstargames.com/gtaonline

According to Rockstar, 1907 isn't a valid year.
Oh man, that looks fucking good.
Wasn't there multiplayer in GTA1, 2 and 4?
Trooper wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Not sure how many 106 year old GTA fans there are out there.
GazChap wrote:

GTA 2 multiplayer was brilliant, I used to play it all the time with my boyfriend (which shows how long ago it was) on networked PCs.
SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Not sure how many 106 year old GTA fans there are out there.

Ageist
GazChap wrote:

Not sure about GTA1, but in all games it was very much tacked on. This seems to be almost a separate game.
It was in gta 1 too. Tried it two or three times over the university lan and it was not much fun.
Been out of the loop on gaming news so is GTA Online something completely different or the multiplayer mode on GTA5?
Big piece in The Guardian about this today, long interview with Dan Houser.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... dan-houser
A week tomorrow!

When do reviews come out?
Approx 72 hours before they've had chance to review it properly.
All the reviews are going to be a 9 or 10 anyway. Still undecided about what console to purchase on possibly 360 to use my last year of the gold sub.

[..getting old & still playing video games..]

http://www.gospvg.com
What's with the double sig, Gos?
I figure it's something his phone is adding to the text box, as it shows on the mobile site, too (normal signatures don't).
DavPaz wrote:
What's with the double sig, Gos?

Ok that must be something from tapatalk then?
Will check the settings on the app.
Map's leaked

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Somebody's kindly put the GTAbore map on top of it for size comparison.
Attachment:
gtaivandgtavmap[1].jpg
Dimrill wrote:
Map's leaked

Somebody's kindly put the GTAbore map on top of it for size comparison.
Attachment:
gtaivandgtavmap[1].jpg

Hmmm... Not sure the GTA4 map overlay is at the same scale. The roads on that seem a lot thinner. Looks like the map for the main city in 4 and 5 is roughly the same size, but 5 has a lot more countryside outside that.
The runways at the airports look similar in length, though - so perhaps the thicker roads are "trunk roads" and there are more thinner roads for residential streets etc.

Either way, looks big. Although there'll no doubt be lots of wasted empty space in there.
Look at that train line!
Page 4 of 26 [ 1274 posts ]