Being Nice about Rev Stu thread
anti-Internet-drama
I read a bunch of Amiga Powers as a kid, after years of reading Amiga Action (I was young, shut up). They were excellent, far funnier, cleverer and more honest, and it's not exaggeration to saythat it influenced my sense of humour and style of writing rather a lot. Yeeears later, I stumbled upon The Weekly, and Mil's House of Apology, and AP2, and naturally ended up at WoS as Stu was one of the best writers on AP, and WoS was full of excellent people. Although I must admit at the time that Cam Winstanley was my favourite, which can be at least partially attributed to my youthful love of violence. Jon Davies was amusing, also. And J Nash, obv.

I spent many happy hours reading through some of Stu's work that I'd missed in the late 90s and early 2000s, and then hopped onto the forum. Stu was, and still is, a very skilled, persuasive and amusing writer, and despite his stubbornness and aggression online, I find it easy to believe he's a very kindly, thoughtful chap in person. A lot of the vitriol directed at him seems ridiculously hyperbolic, and typically follows the same pattern - "I loved stu and laughing with stu about the embittered people he'd banned, until one day we had an argument and he banned me, and now he's shit and always was shit, ooogh." This saddens and frankly embarasses me, but there you go. He's stubborn and argumentative, which is a major reason most of us liked him. It's also why most people who fall out with him fall out with him. Personally, I find it best to just take his excesses with a pinch of salt rather than get in a twist about them.

There will never be place on the internet as close to my heart as old WoS. Unless J Nash resurfaces and takes over google, obv.
Me From WoS ages ago wrote:
It's like the secret WoS lyrics to "Lady in Red"

Edit: Sorry, couldn't resist myself

I've never seen you looking so ratty as you did tonight
I've never seen your eyes shine so bright
I've never seen so many WoSsers asking for a game on Live Arcade
Looking for a little lemonade
I have never seen that kilt you're wearing
Or the attitude on your shades that catch your eyes
It looks like you're blind

This thread is unread
You PMed it to me
Queen to Queen
I never had an Amiga - I wanted one, but couldn't afford one (my parents said they'd buy me one if I got 9 As at GCSE, but I got 8 As and a B) - but after years of reading games magazines I somehow found myself far more likely to read an article/review I noticed it was by Stuart Campbell.

I just think he's a fantastic writer about games, even when he's WRONG IN CAPS. (And he's normally wrong about what he thinks is bad, I don't think I've ever tried a game he's recommended and come away disappointed. I just happen to love a lot of games he hates to bits.)
Stu is the perfect example of what a critic should be. Volatile to touch but damn interesting to read. I wish more games journalists were like him.
Just not to your face :)
Lave wrote:
kalmar wrote:
I had never heard of him until he had a raging row with someone on "another forum" I'm on.

I was an Amiga Format reader y'see.

Amiga Format has got an unfair amount of stick. Looking back I realise it was trying to be adult and was a bit rubbish. But as a kid doing the same it fit me quite well.

That and when I got my A1200 the amiga format cover disk I got on boxing day had a demo of Cannon Fodder on it. That rocked.

I still have that very disk, if it's the one that takes place on the football pitch (as well as another level I didn't think was as good). I actually played it at the weekend!

I too was very much a "which magazine has the best demos" person and my allegiance was a bit too strong to Amiga Format
I was an AP man myself, purely because of the style of writing and funny asides as well as being told about good/bad stuff. I also liked the stuff like Canoe Squad, and F-MAX. Considering how many of these things are throw-away, completely random jokes and I can still remember them clearly despite not having read the issues in question for a few years now I think that tells a lot about the sheer quality of the writing involved. I couldn't tell you anything from the once mighty PC Format over the past 3 years, for example, apart from maybe some comments from Luis Villazon...the only part worth reading these days.

I found the forum though a boring Sunday afternoon googling random childhood/school years things, spent a few hours reading through the posts, registered, and promptly lurked. I'm not sure entirely why I didn't post, but quite a few others did the same...
Mr Chris wrote:
I'll end up spending 28 hours a day on here arguing. I've got foxes to feed, man! Think of the children!

Vulpines FTFY.
Sheepeh wrote:
I found the forum though a boring Sunday afternoon googling random childhood/school years things, spent a few hours reading through the posts, registered, and promptly lurked. I'm not sure entirely why I didn't post, but quite a few others did the same...

Disabling guest posting did kinda stop the lurkers from making the odd post.

It also stopped "GUESTMr Chris" from posting, I never liked him. He was shifty.
Quote:
I just think he's a fantastic writer about games, even when he's WRONG IN CAPS.

I've never seen him wearing one.
kalmar wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
I'll end up spending 28 hours a day on here arguing. I've got foxes to feed, man! Think of the children!

Vulpines FTFY.

Heh.Talking of which, we're putting our foot down re the bins. I will be politely explaining the situation to the binmen this Thursday morning.

Also - the random plastic bottles of water on the lawn seem to be helping - only one fox poo in three weeks.
Ace.
Also, good luck with new baby :)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Stuart Campbell.
Mr_Grinch wrote:
Lave wrote:
kalmar wrote:
I had never heard of him until he had a raging row with someone on "another forum" I'm on.

I was an Amiga Format reader y'see.

Amiga Format has got an unfair amount of stick. Looking back I realise it was trying to be adult and was a bit rubbish. But as a kid doing the same it fit me quite well.

That and when I got my A1200 the amiga format cover disk I got on boxing day had a demo of Cannon Fodder on it. That rocked.

I still have that very disk, if it's the one that takes place on the football pitch (as well as another level I didn't think was as good). I actually played it at the weekend!

I too was very much a "which magazine has the best demos" person and my allegiance was a bit too strong to Amiga Format

Oh man, I forgot that level! Shooting the Sensible Soccer people.

What magazine carried Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator? That magazine was clearly best.

EDIT: Woh, according to the first hit for "Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator Amiga" says Kieron Gillen wrote it!? More details (could be a dodgy site mind)
Lave wrote:
EDIT: Woh, according to the first hit for "Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator Amiga" says Kieron Gillen wrote it!? More details (could be a dodgy site mind)
That's not right. The orginal was a Speccy game on the Your Sinclair covermount tape.
Lave wrote:
What magazine carried Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator? That magazine was clearly best.

Amiga Power. No surprises
Oh, and yes, C-Monster is Kieron Gillen. He didn't do the (original) spectrum version, which appears to have been made by one of the YS writers.
Mr Dave wrote:
Also, the thread contains genuine 100% titler. :titler:

Hang on a minute - that means he wrote that before he left.

That means the infamous "final thread" should still exist...

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!
Ooooh, excellent. Do please post the link if you find it, Grim..., as I missed that particular little gem. That or I participated and just can't remember, which is equally likely.
Mr Dave wrote:
Oh, and yes, C-Monster is Kieron Gillen. But I don't think he did the (original) spectrum version, which appears to have been made by one of the YS writers.

Duncan MacDonald.
What's the deal with the "Titler" stuff? What did he do that was so bad?
He was officially the Cleverest and Most Knowledgable Person on The Internet.

In his head.

Just imagine the most argumentative, hair-splitting and patronising person you've ever met, times him by 1000, and then add in him being wrong 90% of the time but not accepting it as a possibility.
Scarysheep3000 wrote:
What's the deal with the "Titler" stuff? What did he do that was so bad?

Mainly be the most annoyingly arrogant person I've come across. He was always right,and had to have the reasons explained in multi page detail. And this even if everyone agreed with him.
Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Oh, and yes, C-Monster is Kieron Gillen. But I don't think he did the (original) spectrum version, which appears to have been made by one of the YS writers.

Duncan MacDonald.

Yeah, I know. But I thought saying what he was rather than who he was would make more sense.
He [EDIT - Titler, that is, not this Duncan chap. Although he may have as well] also capitalised all nouns, which drove me frothingly mad.
Mr Chris wrote:
He [EDIT - Titler, that is, not this Duncan chap. Although he may have as well] also capitalised all nouns, which drove me frothingly mad.

,chortles>

I parsed that as "Capitlised on nuns"
He was alright to begin with, but he descended into a pool of dipshittery and got swallowed by his ego. Every post was about 5000 words long, too, so people mostly ended up ignoring him. He had some massive arguments with the people who had the patience to read his arrogant drivel though.
nynfortoo wrote:
He was alright to begin with, but he descended into a pool of dipshittery and got swallowed by his ego. Every post was about 5000 words long, too, so people mostly ended up ignoring him. He had some massive arguments with the Grim.
nynfortoo wrote:
He was alright to begin with, but he descended into a pool of dipshittery and got swallowed by his ego. Every post was about 5000 words long, too, so people mostly ended up ignoring him. He had some massive arguments with the people who had the patience to read his arrogant drivel though.

I lost all patience with him when he tried to prove me wrong about legal stuff, by clearly googling it and not checking what country he'd got the results for.
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Also, the thread contains genuine 100% titler. :titler:

Hang on a minute - that means he wrote that before he left.

That means the infamous "final thread" should still exist...

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Sigh, I see the profiles are still disabled for no good reason.

But anyway, knowing that, or the date the titler photo was taken would allow one to narrow the search quite effectively.
July 20th, 2007 - less than a year ago, surprisingly.
Mr Dave wrote:
Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Duncan MacDonald.

Yeah, I know. But I thought saying what he was rather than who he was would make more sense.

Fair point. I was just pleased with myself that I'd remembered.
Time for a WoS trawl. Wish me luck everybody.
Grim... wrote:

Ha! Good work Grim...

Also, what ever happened to HypoCee?
Grim... wrote:

Good work, sir!

Extra points if you can find the thread he's talking about on the first page of this one; the one where you supposedly threaten people with violence for telling your wife you're copping off with women you attracted with surpreme arrogance.
Same time period, should be easy enough.
Quote:
these boards have devolved into a competition to see who can appear the most neanderthal, crudely calculating and sex-orientated pig

I hear the sound of a gauntlet being thrown down here.
I remember readin that and getting annoyed. Now I'm finding it hard not to break into hysterical laughter.
MrD, you'd know - This Titler chap isn't any relation* of KlaxonCow, is he?

* - I mean, same person.

Edit, no, probably not. Looks like I've done KC a disservice there.
Me too :D Johan Glans and dng were properly funny that day.

Fuck he (Titler) was behaving oddly.
I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about Titler.

All I remember is that his (her?) first post was very long* and (probably) on the subject of game piracy, and I thought it made some sense. I don't remember anybody getting angry at him, him leaving, the story behind "Hello Titler" or anything like that.

* Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh. No. Not as long as that.
I'm on page 2 and I'm losing the will to live.
That thread sort of petered out. I was expecting the "hello titler" photo to appear and be followed by Titler having a more massive strop and leaving.
@ Mypo: Yeah, well, you say how much you dislike me on page four, so keep readin'.
@ Chris: No, the photo :titler: was linked to (I used to have 'flickr-me-do' linked in my signature), and then he never came back - no response, nothing.
Heh.

Cool.

He went proper mental in that one, didn't he? I feared for his sanity in that thread. I could just picture him sat at his PC waving his arms around and yelling at the monitor, cursing the lesser intellects who belabour him with their idiocy, whilst dressed only in stained white y-fronts.
Talk about Stu being awesome:

Quote:
Could everyone stop creating threads that I don't care about, just so you can all fight in them when I'm not looking? Thanks.

Let me rephrase that:

THANKS.

That made me giggle.

Ha ha. I only read about half because Titler? Tediousler more like! Ho Ho Ho!
Edited: Fixed quote
Even the promise of a bust-up doesn't make it any less of a chore to read.

Intersperse your paragraphs with nipple shots in future, Titler.
You know what I love 2 pages into that thread. Both Grim and Titler have mentioned me, but I don't remember the discussion at all, nor, till now did I think I'd EVER seen a post of Titler's ever. I assumed I never knew him.

Clearly HE made an impression then. And apparently I started everything, sorry chaps. I've done it again.

I'm as good as banned aren't I.
So, poll on whether we should invite him here to play with Grim..., then? ;)

[aside]Interesting to note that several people in that thread were bemoaning how crap WoS had become with all the silly threads, eh?[/aside]
I've just noticed someone has signed up as Titler...

Page 2 of 14 [ 694 posts ]