Gay marriage
In the uk
Grim... wrote:
Damnit! Fucking gays!

I think they handle that.

Good news about the vote!
Interestringly, my MP, Philip Davies, who voted against the bill, said on twitter that he had c20 letters to vote for it, but c500 to vote against. Which makes me a bit grumblesome, as I can't really now say "Well, he didn't do what his constituents want" or soemthing as usually I like to jump up and call him a fucking knob at the earleist possible opportunity but now I am going to have to join the Shipley conservative club and get myself involved and then on the selection committee and select myself and things like that. however, I do worry that "it is what the majority of the country wants" as an argument, as they want capital punishment and floggings and stuff like that, too.
Well if the Mail is to be believed then six out of ten support gay marriage.

#axzz2K8I2FqG1">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2K8I2FqG1

I suspect that people who write letters to Tory MPs about gay marriage are a bit more bigoted than the general population.
markg wrote:
Well if the Mail is to be believed then six out of ten support gay marriage.

#axzz2K8I2FqG1">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2K8I2FqG1

I suspect that people who write letters to Tory MPs about gay marriage are a bit more bigoted than the general population.

I think, yes, there has to be an outrage threshold reached and surpassed to stir Major (rtd) into an ink fuelled frenzy compalinig about soemhting that won't affect him in a material fashion.

I like to think that this sort of thing will die out in a generation or two.
I'll see if we can get some numbers from our people.
192,000 surveyed (ish):

"Do you support the idea of gay marriage?"
Yes: 56%
No: 28%
Only if it isn't in a church: 16%
*mulls* Are people more likely to rant to an MP about stuff they REALLY HATE rather than something they'd actually rather like?
CraigGrannell wrote:
*mulls* Are people more likely to rant to an MP about stuff they REALLY HATE rather than something they'd actually rather like?

Hate, every time.
Q: What's the one thing worse than letting gay people marry?

A: Letting Yoda marry them.

Oh dear.
Now legal in France.

The bill for England and Wales returns to the Commons on Monday. Has there been any movement in Holyrood?
Passed third reading by 366 for to 161 against . Now on to the Lords...
In the interests of balance, I should point out that the main campaign group opposing this, the 'Coalition for Marriage' have just said on their blog that David Cameron is a 'marriage wrecker'. Meaning, I suppose, that you too can now cite him as a reason for your divorce.
That's good news :) I wonder what it will mean for Scottish people between England allowing it and Scotland finally allowing it? For example, I'm getting married in April 2015, by which time it should be legal in England but not yet in Scotland. What would happen if I went to England for the wedding? Would I be married or civilly partnered?
It will count as a civil partnership in uk states not recognising the marriage, I think I saw.
sdg wrote:
That's good news :) I wonder what it will mean for Scottish people between England allowing it and Scotland finally allowing it? For example, I'm getting married in April 2015, by which time it should be legal in England but not yet in Scotland. What would happen if I went to England for the wedding? Would I be married or civilly partnered?

Actually, this could be a really good point. On immigration law there are many problems with the looseness of paperwork regarding marriage from many countries so this could really muddy the waters although i have not kept up with the changes since four years ago but yeah. Hmm. Interesting. Someone look it up for me.
Meanwhile, French opponents to their gay marriage law come up with a slogan which shits all over anything the 'Coalition for Marriage' have ever produced:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I'm an ass, I voted for Hollande

From this BBC piece.
BikNorton wrote:
It will count as a civil partnership in uk states not recognising the marriage, I think I saw.

This. If the bill passes, there are clauses that would make those married in England and Wales automatically civil partnered if they enter Northern Irish or (until such time as Holyrood gets it act together) Scottish territory. What happens if your wife/husband is one side of the border and you're on the other is not that clear.

See #sch2-pt1" class="postlink">here. Note that because Stormont has already voted against equality, there is slightly different wording to the clauses relating to Scotland.
Passed second reading in the Lords. Normally this is just a formality, but one elderly ermine-clad gent introduced an amendment insisting on a vote. Onto committee stage.
Passed third reading in the Lords. Back to the Commons to agree some amendments, then that's that.
And now, appropriately enough, the gay marriage bill goes to the Queen....
I had BBC Parliament on last night. Nick Herbert (Tory, Arundel and South Downs) gave a brilliantly angry and passionate speech laying into Gerald Howarth (Tory, Aldershot) who'd made a typically horrid speech earlier in the debate. The transcript (here) doesn't do the delivery justice, and the brief shot of Howarth's stunned face was extremely satisfying. Ah, nothing quite like witnessing hot tory-on-tory action :)
Curiosity wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
(an the rest f the bloody world).

Drunk already?

Nah, just angry at the world.

Just this week the first ever female US astronaut (and youngest ever astronaut) died of cancer, and her same-sex partner of 27 years was denied federal benefits. It's just stupid.

That is so totally shit. And idiotic. And :(
(and yes, I appreciate I'm very late to the party on that post ;) )
Kern wrote:

Whoop! So bloody nice to see some good news!!
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
(an the rest f the bloody world).

Drunk already?

Nah, just angry at the world.

Just this week the first ever female US astronaut (and youngest ever astronaut) died of cancer, and her same-sex partner of 27 years was denied federal benefits. It's just stupid.

That is so totally shit. And idiotic. And :(

I wonder if the partner will now benefit from the recent US Supreme Court ruling overthrowing the 'Defence of Marriage Act'?
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Kern wrote:

It's great to know that from time to time politics can improve the general level of happiness in the country.
Kern wrote:
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Kern wrote:

It's great to know that from time to time politics can improve the general level of happiness in the country.

Yes. Very much so.
Indeed :)

What would you choose as the next thing they could do to add more happiness?
Kern wrote:

Great news, not before time.
Sometimes politics is genuinely awesome; a moment to savour and for me not be cynical about politicians just for once. :)
TheFireFaerie wrote:
Indeed :)

What would you choose as the next thing they could do to add more happiness?

Mandatory attendance at BeeXBeeQue and the Cottage, natch.
I'm not convinced I can quite stretch to cooking for 65 million people.

Especially as the odds would suggest that I would nearly kill 20 million in the process. Would probably get me an entry in Who's Who, mind.
Equality for all! Unless you're a member of the state religion, in which case fuck you gayo.
I went to my first lesbian wedding the other weekend :) We went on a boat down the canals in Amsterdam, and when we got off tourists kept stopping the brides to take pictures! They loved it :D
TheFireFaerie wrote:
I went to a wedding the other weekend :) We went on a boat down the canals in Amsterdam, and when we got off tourists kept stopping the brides to take pictures! They loved it :D

Feex.
:-p They wanted us to tell EVERYONE that we'd been to their "beautiful lesbian wedding" so just keeping the happy couple happy ;)
:-p They wanted us to tell EVERYONE that we'd been to their "beautiful lesbian wedding" so just keeping the happy couple happy ;)
To be fair, I'll be excited when I get to go to my first gay wedding and I'm gay and currently planning my wedding.
\o
My first gay wedding won't be my own though because my friend is getting married about seven months before we are. Obviously I think gay marriage finally being legal is wonderful but I still think it looks strange seeing two brides. Then there are other traditions, like the first dance, speeches, the aisle procession, wedding party etc. I look forward to the day that a wedding is a wedding regardless of who is getting married but just now, when the majority of people (including gay people) have never been to a gay wedding, they are notable because they are different. I think it's fantastic though that passer bys were pleased to see the brides, it's a very minor worry in the back of our heads that we could be a bit of a spectacle that's not necessarily totally well received on the day of our wedding if we're walking past passer bys or anything.
I went to Myp's wedding.

That was pretty gay.
Curiosity wrote:
I went to Myp's wedding.

That was pretty gay.

You didn't complain at the time. Then again you did have your mouth full.
The Scottish bill passes its first stage.
Kern wrote:
The Scottish bill passes its first stage.
The speak your brainz section is hilarious.

Here is my favourite so far...
Quote:
I wonder if Ferrari will agree that I have equal rights as millionaires to own their cars?
Quote:
I have noticed that lobby groups promoting same sex marriage in the US are sponsored by such wealthy individuals like the CEO of Goldmans Sachs. These are the same type of CEO's that brought the world to its knees with the financial crisis and bankrupt Greece. I would like to know who is pulling the strings in this debate?

So the financial crisis will be solved by gay marriage?
Quote:
The introduction of same-sex 'marriage' is opening a can of worms and all in the cause of promiscuity.

Because you can't go to a wife-swapping party unaccompanied.
The 'I'm not homophobic but...' arguments are always funny.

And by funny I mean depressing and angering.
Page 4 of 7 [ 308 posts ]