iRacing
Not by Apple
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Aw thanks! Please have it engraved with "finished 29th in split 8 of 13"

There's a space underneath when you print it out.

Seriously though. Well done. How long were your stints?

Just under two hours. So two full fuel tanks - roughly 66-69 laps depending how economical you were.

In the technohat? For 2 straight hours?
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Aw thanks! Please have it engraved with "finished 29th in split 8 of 13"

There's a space underneath when you print it out.

Seriously though. Well done. How long were your stints?

Just under two hours. So two full fuel tanks - roughly 66-69 laps depending how economical you were.

In the technohat? For 2 straight hours?

Yep. It ain't no thang. I also spotted my teammate from the helicam in VR. Great for looking ahead and behind at other cars.
Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Annnnnd it's over. 24 hours and 737 laps later, we've taken the chequered flag!

Meaning you ended up in first? Nice!

Well no. Technically everyone takes the chequered flag.

Only if you finish the race.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Annnnnd it's over. 24 hours and 737 laps later, we've taken the chequered flag!

Meaning you ended up in first? Nice!

Well no. Technically everyone takes the chequered flag.

Only if you finish the race.

Technically correcter!
Looking at the standings we finished 150th out of 452 teams in our class. Top third - I'll take that.

I was driver 657 out of 1682. Not quite top third, but comfortably top half.
So when you were in fourth place until you binned it off was that out of 452? Or were there multiple instances of the track or something. No idea how this works.
markg wrote:
So when you were in fourth place until you binned it off was that out of 452? Or were there multiple instances of the track or something. No idea how this works.

There were 452 teams across the whole event. You can only have a max of 60 cars on the track (across two classes) at any one time so it was divided into 13 "splits" or server instances. We were in split 8 (ordered by iRating which is an indicator of driver "skill"). The higher split you were in, the higher the strength of field (average iRating for all drivers), and the more championship points you would get for any given position.

So we were in a below average split but ended up in the top third of teams for the whole event, which is pretty good.

We finished 10th out of 28 teams in our class in our race. P29 overall out of 58 (pretty good considering we were the slow class).
Would you have finished much higher if you hadn't stacked it?
Curiosity wrote:
Would you have finished much higher if you hadn't stacked it?

If conservatively we'd finished 5th we'd have got 101 race points instead of 79, so that would have had us placed as 92nd best team and me 409th best driver.
How many finished out of the original 60 on your server?
Grim... wrote:
How many finished out of the original 60 on your server?

Looking at the results sheet it shows 17 disconnected teams and 1 disqualified. So 40 out of the 58 were there at the end. That's a pretty decent attrition rate.
Lonewolves wrote:
divided into 13 "splits" or server instances.
I am irrationally angry that the jargon here is "split" and not the technically correct "shard."
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
divided into 13 "splits" or server instances.
I am irrationally angry that the jargon here is "split" and not the technically correct "shard."

Well, for all I know the development team may refer to them as that in the back end, but they are known as splits on the front end.
Lonewolves wrote:
Well, for all I know the development team may refer to them as that in the back end, but they are known as splits on the front end.

"Shard" is the correct computer science jargon. I suspect "split" is something that's come from a community of race car fans, given the connotations around split laps etc.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

"Shard" is the correct computer science jargon. I suspect "split" is something that's come from a community of race car fans, given the connotations around split laps etc.

Aye. When we talk about splits they are seen as separate races. It's not really a reference to server instances - I just used that comparison for explanation.
At least we weren't involved with any idiots trying to do stuff like this:

This is also pretty dumb:
Video of crashy crashy, as promised…

This is better.
There's no fucking way you'd have driven away from that :D
Grim... wrote:
There's no fucking way you'd have driven away from that :D

I didn't. The engine blew and I had to get a tow. Then it was another hour and six minutes to replace the engine.
Ah! I didn't know you could get towed.

It's a pretty car, though.
Grim... wrote:
Ah! I didn't know you could get towed.

It's a pretty car, though.

It was until I concertina'd the front end. :D
That'll pull out.
Grim... wrote:
That'll pull out.

Even after we had it repaired we were down on top speed by about 10kmh, and the bonnet had a nice crinkly effect on it. Still, we got it home and that's the important thing. Onto the 12 Hours of Sebring!
Wait how much for Beex to sponsor your car? Like a window strip or something?
I would rather nobody from Beex strips in a window.
Grim... wrote:

I can ask the team owner - Wernä isn't my team. I'd be happy to put a Beex logo on Robin Hood Racing's car for free though - we'll be taking part in a full Blancpain Endurance Series next season. Livery designed by Zardoz!
Attachment:
20161218193659_1.jpg
How did you choose which car to use?
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I can ask the team owner - Wernä isn't my team.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

Get a price for turning the whole thing GTA Crew-blue.
MaliA wrote:

Pretty easy. The team owner wanted to run the Mercedes this season. Luckily it's the only GT3 car I actually own.

We will have to run a different car at Le Mans as GT3 isn't a class there. It will probably be either the Aston or Corvette GT1 cars, except if the Ferrari or Porsche GTE cars are out by then.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I can ask the team owner - Wernä isn't my team.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

Get a price for turning the whole thing GTA Crew-blue.

Hahaha! I think the chance of that is slim to none!
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Pretty easy. I'd crashed all the others

Fixed that for ye, good sir.
Do the teams have to pay to race, then?
MaliA wrote:
Do the teams have to pay to race, then?

Only insofar that you need an iRacing sub and the track/car content.
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Pretty easy. The team owner wanted to run the Mercedes this season. Luckily it's the only GT3 car I actually own.

We will have to run a different car at Le Mans as GT3 isn't a class there. It will probably be either the Aston or Corvette GT1 cars, except if the Ferrari or Porsche GTE cars are out by then.

How do you choose which to get?
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Personal preference really.
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Any Rovers?
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Any Rovers?

Hahaha no
So what makes them the team owner?
Grim... wrote:

He created the team on the iRacing website and put the driver team together.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Does he race?
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Does he race?

He drives the car in practice and helps build the setups, but he acts as race engineer during the endurance races (for the duration :o).
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Does he race?

He drives the car in practice and helps build the setups, but he acts as race engineer during the endurance races (for the duration :o).

Always the way. The drivers could get some sleep, but the engineers had to be awake for the duration.

Source: My old man held a spanner at Le Mans a couple of times.
They should have let myp just hold a spanner.
markg wrote:

I am the spanner.

Tbf I only got 3 hours sleep between my 1:15am and 7:40am stints.
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:

I am the spanner.

Tbf I only got 3 hours sleep between my 1:15am and 7:40am stints.

TBF that's all I get on a good night/have a six month old.

*Fires up Skoda Yeti*

38:35 for some lonewolves action!

I would say the biggest difference here is the tyre noise. The engine sounds pretty much the same (apart from the real car noise being more muffled). Overall pretty accurate.
iracing has better frame rate than real life
Immensely frustrating end to a highly entertaining race last night. Some were on a one-stop strategy and others like me on a two-stopper, made for some really good racing and I was on for a top 5 until a caution came out with 10 laps left - then this happened at the final restart:

When teammates collide...
Page 4 of 12 [ 555 posts ]